Old 16 March 2013, 12:49   #1

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Fitting a fuel tap

I'm in the middle of fitting a tank to my deck to give more range. Tank is in and all the fuel line is laid. I've now got a 100 litre internal tank and a 140 litre deck tank connected by a three way brass fuel tap.

Problem is I can't get the fuel bulb to pump hard, really frustrating. I've taken the feed to the bulb off and blown down it. All that happens is I get very red can't blow through so that makes me think no leak?

I've then blown through the fuel tap and I can hear air getting to both fuel tanks if I move the tap, or nowhere if its in the middle grrrr

Can anyone advise anything? Do I need ptfe tape where the fuel barb screws into the body of the fuel tap maybe?

There's no fuel in the deck tank so I'm off to get some to see if that section is air and fuel tight, might reduce the size of the problem

Couple of pics as that might help with the above description

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3546771488.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	77645   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1936765392.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	77646  
Old 16 March 2013, 13:02   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Silly question Neil, but have you got the tap connected the right way round? You should have 2 inlets & 1 outlet. Inlets to the tanks & outlet to the engine. Where is the bulb in the equation? Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 13:08   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Faulty fuel bulb? Or maybe you need to put a fuel bulb near each tank.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2013, 13:19   #4

Bulb I think is fine I changed it start of last season. The original set up was one fuel line to bulb then fuel filter as you would expect. All I've done is disconnect the original line from the bulb and run it to the fuel tap, then run another fuel line from the deck tank to the tap, then one line from the outlet on the tap back to the bulb

I did check I had the right connections Dave but as its all unscrewed again at the mo ill check again you never know. Back soon with success I hope
Old 16 March 2013, 14:41   #5

Ground to a halt. I've never been happy with the fuel filter and figured it might be leaking there. I've got a quicksilver to replace it with. Took the old one off, threads are bsp, which means the fuel barbs and blanks are not compatible so i need to order them

Really wanted this done today not to worry, better done right than bodged in. Ill update if doing this deals the system
Old 16 March 2013, 15:03   #6

Town: Melbourne
Boat name: rib
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboard
I have found for best performance have the bulb sitting vertical with the arrow pointing to the sky. The check valves then have gravity helping them do there job.
Many have found this to be the case myself included. Do a web search to confirm, I have read it even cures fuel starvation issues.
Old 24 March 2013, 12:56   #7

All done and sealed now, thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure if the hoses have just bedded in over a week or if the old fuel filter was the weak link. The rubber seals looked to be on the way out and there were too many parts to it so good riddance anyway.

So 100 litre under the floor tank and a 140 litre ally tank on the deck courtesy of Trailer Guy,(thanks very much again Simeon for the help, tank and parts)

I need to fill the lot and hope now it's not messed with the stability. We had a lot of weight in the back at loch lomomd in feb when this wasn't on and it didn't seem to make a great deal of difference so fingers crossed, sea trial at Easter on the straits if the flamin weather ever picks up.

I've attached a picture of the old fuel filter, if you have one of these I'd recommend you bin it, nowt but trouble

Fitted a manual bilge pump as well while I was at it just in case the auto one fails

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3022299341.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	77958   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1145081612.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	77959   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-968452483.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	77960   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1756321561.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	77961   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2525610157.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	77962  

Name:	image-1946592744.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	77963  
Old 28 September 2015, 13:55   #8

Town: Manchester, UK
Boat name: Majic
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercury 200
Me Too, any ideas?

I had this same problem last weekend first time out with a new engine. Replaced twin Yam 90s with a single Merc 200 and had a fuel tap exactly like this one to switch between the two original under deck tanks. Just couldn't get any fuel to the separator. Filled the separator with siphoned fuel and engine would run perfectly for about 2 mins until the separator was empty again. Tried undoing fuel line to tap and sucking petrol and confirmed no problem there so it is something between the fuel separator and tap. See pic showing setup. Everything is brand new. Any ideas? Clogged line, faulty tap, faulty separator?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150806_145245.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	108946  
Old 28 September 2015, 16:06   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeT View Post
I had this same problem last weekend first time out with a new engine. Replaced twin Yam 90s with a single Merc 200 and had a fuel tap exactly like this one to switch between the two original under deck tanks. Just couldn't get any fuel to the separator. Filled the separator with siphoned fuel and engine would run perfectly for about 2 mins until the separator was empty again. Tried undoing fuel line to tap and sucking petrol and confirmed no problem there so it is something between the fuel separator and tap. See pic showing setup. Everything is brand new. Any ideas? Clogged line, faulty tap, faulty separator?
Primer bulb the right way round? Also the primer bulb should be vertical with the arrow pointing skywards.
Could also be an air leak so the bulb is trying to pull air instead of petrol, you've a lot of joints in that setup.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 28 September 2015, 19:30   #10

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
PTF tape on all connections.. tap unit lower than filter.. a good quality primer bulb.
also take the engine side fuel connector off and jam open with small screwdriver and try to pump it through then.. it just could be an airlock
Old 28 September 2015, 20:34   #11

Check the tap is plumbed in correctly. On that set up the bottom hole has to allow the feed from the two top is it definitely doing that? Shouldn't matter but I configured mine with the bulb before the separator not after but that should just mean it's pull not push to get the fuel through

Does the bulb get hard when you pump it? If it doesn't there is deffo a leak or the tanks aren't venting

Sent from my iPad using my finger
Old 28 September 2015, 20:39   #12

Looking at it again I'd bin that fuel separator and get a quicksilver. Threads should be compatible I bet that's where the sealing problem is

Sent from my iPad using my finger
Old 28 September 2015, 20:55   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Just thought I'd post a few words to thank and thoroughly recommend both Simon at Bill Higham Marine............... Simon re-engined my boat........
Quote:
I had this same problem last weekend first time out with a new engine........ Just couldn't get any fuel to the separator........... Everything is brand new. Any ideas? Clogged line, faulty tap, faulty separator?
You could always take it back
Old 28 September 2015, 21:00   #14

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Fitting a fuel tap

Quote:

Thought you just had this engine serviced by Simon Highams I'd be taking it back to him 😳
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 21:17   #15

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If they fitted the setup then I agree that you need to take it back.
Old 29 September 2015, 08:30   #16

Yeah I already spoke to Simon yesterday and he has asked me to bring it back to him so he can fix it. Been very helpful. He thinks it may be a faulty tap but noticed this thread and thought I'd ask in case anyone had the same problem and can point him in the right direction. Double checked and everything is fitted correctly. The bulb is priming and working fine but only when the fuel separator is full. I personally think air is getting in somewhere.
Old 29 September 2015, 15:45   #17

Ok, found the problem. It was the gasket to the fuel separator. Sorted now. Must get a spare for the toolbox. Lesson learned, should also have got this sorted before getting on the slipway!!
Old 29 September 2015, 18:49   #18

RIBase
Quote:
Ok, found the problem. It was the gasket to the fuel separator. Sorted now. Must get a spare for the toolbox. Lesson learned, should also have got this sorted before getting on the slipway!!
lightly grease the gasket on the filter before tightening it up.
Old 29 September 2015, 20:09   #19

Get rid of that filter if there is a gasket around the clear part at the bottom. Nowt but trouble if it gets a knock. Filters are cheap just replace yearly