Old 23 November 2015, 12:17   #11

Length: 4m +
Out mackerel fishing in the summer with a hand line and drifted past what looked like a giant jelly fish .
Motored back to where it was and it was still there so hooked it with the boat hook.
Turned out to be a buoy and rope below the surface covered in weed linked to a lobster pot which a local had lost the summer before.
Took it and all the weed ashore to the guy who never said thanks so know what will happen next time......but an obstacle was removed from the bay.
Regards

Old 23 November 2015, 17:10   #12

I do a fair bit of sea fishing in South West Scotland.
In some areas the amount of pots is ridiculous.
To make matters worse a lot of the buoys are joined together with sub surface painters.
These treacherous lengths of rope can span 60 plus feet between markers - horizontally suspended beneath the waves like a trip wire menacingly waiting to snag on a propeller.
I must admit I have cut more than one in anger with my filleting knife.

Old 24 November 2015, 05:15   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I can't understand all this moaning about pot markers.
They are there, and so are you-the difference is they are static-so avoid them and keep a sharp lookout.
They are put there by guys working-it's their living.
Most of you are having fun and enjoying yourselves.
And as for those of you cutting lines and not rejoining them-well shame on you.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2015, 06:16   #14

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
They are there, and so are you-the difference is they are static-so avoid them and keep a sharp lookout.
if they earning a living they should do it safely and know how deep the water is and NOT put other people at risk

cut every one in my book, boats are easily spotted and avoided - ropes and crappy little markers aren't and become dangerous to boats so don't defend people who are supposed to be professional earning a living
Old 24 November 2015, 07:01   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart1975 View Post
if they earning a living they should do it safely and know how deep the water is and NOT put other people at risk

cut every one in my book, boats are easily spotted and avoided - ropes and crappy little markers aren't and become dangerous to boats so don't defend people who are supposed to be professional earning a living
Totally agree with that! greedy fishermen potentially risking people's lives because they can't be arsed to do things properly deserve to lose there gear
Just because we boat for pleasure doesn't give others the right to make it dangerous for us
Perhaps if more dodgy markers got cut off the offenders might get the hint
Old 24 November 2015, 11:55   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Brian I would whole heartedly agree with that statement if the practice was carried out in a responsible manner.
I have seen pots marked with up turned clear plastic 4 pint milk containers.
Hardly visible!!!
The ones that are clearly marked I have given an extra wide berth only to find that the lazy bar steward who put them there has joined 4 or 5 pots together with a length of rope - merely to facilitate a quick recovery.
I took exception last year when out with the wife and kids - pottering along next thing the outboard is nearly yanked off the transom by a rope no more than 1ft below the water.
I traced it back to a string of 5 pots each pot being 25 yds apart.
I had no hesitation cutting this highly dangerous under water painter.
As I'm not a complete arse I made sue that the ends were tied off so that the pots could be recovered individually.
In my eyes that was my reminder to whom ever set them - have a bit more respect as others use the waters as well.
Old 24 November 2015, 12:13   #17

Length: 7m +
If fisherman set the pots correctly there would not be a problem, I am very supportive of commercial fisherman, they have a very hard job to do, I just wish all fisherman commercial or not would think about safety of others more and not use lines that float and just set the gear up the right way for the area.

To be perfectly frank I think maybe 75% of the problem is perhaps non commercial fisherman, there are lots of examples of well set out pots that are also well marked but equally lots of badly set pots.

If your going to use 30+ metres of floating line in a depth of around 3.5 metres in an area which is in the natural path to the majority of leisure boaters going along a well known spot on the south coast its going to be an issue to someone at some time and being very near rocks it could end in disaster for someone let alone a 400 bill last year for me for damaged hydrolics (I was lucky).

Bit like if someone put a large brick in the middle of a motorway lane.

I expect the only time legislation will be called to be enforced is when something really bad happens. (is there legislation to do with pots and lines ?)

The pot in question isn't an issue anymore, or rather the line isn't as I could hardly leave 35M of line floating on the sea right across a well used transit route. (sorry mr fisherman but didn't have any other choice).

Bah humbug. LOL
Old 24 November 2015, 13:38   #18

Town: abergele
Boat name: all mine
Make: ribtec 3m
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu 9.8 hp 2st
I have to agree with Brian, how would you like someone comeing to your house, business premises, or work vehicle and cutting phone line, slashing tyres ect, as for pulling up nets, pots its plane theft, you are no better than someone who steals ribs outboards or breaks into house's its a mans liveing you are takeing , if your near llandulas there are a lot of nets but all are close in
Old 24 November 2015, 13:48   #19

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Duo-diver
Make: Avon SR5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 90hp
RIBase
We don't have a huge problem with poorly marked pots in my neck of the woods, that said some of the shot-lines can be a bit long and with floating rope that can be an issue, that said a little knowledge about the tide and you can give them a nice wide berth.
I am a bit twitchy about the idea of just cutting shot lines, this leaves the string of pots effectively 'ghost fishing' until such a time as a diver comes along and slashes open the sides or the metal base rots away, in either case a potential significant amount of time.
The problem of fishermen stopping the launching of RIBS from 'their' harbours also becomes problematic if they suspect phantom slashers......
Old 24 November 2015, 13:52   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate1234 View Post
I have to agree with Brian, how would you like someone comeing to your house, business premises, or work vehicle and cutting phone line, slashing tyres ect, as for pulling up nets, pots its plane theft, you are no better than someone who steals ribs outboards or breaks into house's its a mans liveing you are takeing , if your near llandulas there are a lot of nets but all are close in

Whoa there boy!!! Commercial fishermen have a duty of care to the public, just like any other business. If I caused injury to the public during the course of my business activities, then I'd be hung out to dry. The law requires fishing gear to be clearly marked, if it isn't, then the fisherman is in breach of the law. Like others, I give VISIBLE gear a wide berth, if it's been set irresponsibly & I run into it, then out comes the knife. Rather than abandon any catch to starve to death, I'd liberate it.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote