Old 24 November 2013, 12:41   #1

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Fishing flags

I've always worked on the principle that a single float/flag in the water is a pot and that several flags of the same shape/colour in a line/curve are a net, keeping well away from the latter (and the former, TBH)

Last week the sea off Bognor Regis was full of floats/flags, all the same design and in what was more or less a grid pattern - there must have been a couple of hundred of them. I skirted round the edge but ended up going the best part of a mile out with even more flags still visible. At this point I decided it was getting ridiculous and inched my way through like I was negotiating a minefield, with my daughter on look out for any ropes or flags starting to move.

Are there any rules about how nets/pots are supposed to be marked and how far below the surface any ropes are supposed to be?

How do other people negotiate this sort of situation?
Old 24 November 2013, 15:30   #2

Length: 7m +
Rules and fisherman dont mix. Lol. Chapmans pool has a number of fishing pots with no markers on the surface and plenty of ropes across the seabed.
Old 24 November 2013, 16:22   #3

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Rules and fisherman don't mix - So True - I have been almost caught out a few times by floating lines from pots....
Old 24 November 2013, 18:05   #4

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
Motorboats monthly did a lot on this last year, little effect unfortunately! This was their manifesto:-

According to figures released by the RNLI, lifeboats have been called out to deal with 289 incidents involving props being fouled by pot lines or nets in the last year. Here at MBM, we believe many of these incidents could be avoided if a few simple changes were made.

There is currently no overarching set of regulations specifying how the pots should be marked. MBM wants this to change.

We have devised a five-point manifesto calling for bigger, better and more visible marking for lobster pots, as well as safer practice when it comes to disposing of torn nets and broken fishing gear.

Our manifesto

1. Clear marker
MBM is calling for all pots to be marked with a danbuoy with a flag extending to at least one metre above the water.

2. Sinking line
MBM wants to see all pots fitted with sinking lines to keep the danger well below the surface.

3. Lights
MBM wants to see cheap, effective yellow buoy lights installed on all markers, making them visible in the dark.

4. Dumping
MBM is asking for a clear commitment to properly disposing of debris, whether you have five pots or 5000.

5. Channels
MBM knows that sometimes it's hard for fishermen to avoid working in the channel but a little common sense when it comes to laying pots and nets would make life a lot easier for everyone - and save the fishermen money that might otherwise have to go on replacing pots that some unlucky boater has picked up.

Subscribe to the print issue of MBM Subscribe to the digital version of MBM
Read more at http://www.motorboatsmonthly.co.uk/s...ifkkgQq5Rj5.99
Old 24 November 2013, 18:12   #5

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Time to send in John Mills and Donald Sinden in their midget-submarines - I've seen them deal with nets really well!