Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin F View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the responses, I'm sure it'll all be fine, I'm with Sarah on that one. I might have a look at Hayling Island Area given that I did my course at Sparks so do know that area and if I was allowed to go more than 4knots it really wouldn't b that bad to get out to see to play. Was thinking about going out tomorrow afternoon as weekend weather looks a bit nasty for the first time but we'll see. Would've joined in the thread earlier but been driving tanks all day in Oxford! The main thing I guess is that it's enjoyable as that's the reason I invested in the boat in the first place, just want to get the hang of the whole launch and retrieve thing and then navigating the harbout, etc - how hard can it be!?!?
if you happen to want to launch at chichestor harbour at ichenor then give me a shout and i would be happy to pop over and give you some help as will be 2 mins down the road, and pointers if that helps, ichenor is around 3£ to slip, 6£ to park for the day and is compacted gravel, i have launched there many times as others have.

if it is your first time slipping and you use a busy slip then just stand and watch a few others, you can learn a lot that way. its easy if you follow a few basic rules
Old 22 June 2007, 08:56   #22

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
if you happen to want to launch at chichestor harbour at ichenor then give me a shout and i would be happy to pop over and give you some help as will be 2 mins down the road, and pointers if that helps, ichenor is around 3£ to slip, 6£ to park for the day and is compacted gravel, i have launched there many times as others have.

if it is your first time slipping and you use a busy slip then just stand and watch a few others, you can learn a lot that way. its easy if you follow a few basic rules
Hugh is absolutely correct £3 for the day and that includes the ability to park the trailer on the hard! Or £30 for the year. Harbour office really helpful. I have been warned, however, that it can be tricky to launch from Itchenor as it is quite shallow and sometimes you have to go a long way to get the boat floating - a friend had to drive their car into the water as well as the trailer - after all the problems with the trailer - not sure I want to go through that with the car as well. I think this is only had low water though. Is this correct Hugh? As the local resident in the know.
Old 22 June 2007, 09:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
Hugh is absolutely correct £3 for the day and that includes the ability to park the trailer on the hard! Or £30 for the year. Harbour office really helpful. I have been warned, however, that it can be tricky to launch from Itchenor as it is quite shallow and sometimes you have to go a long way to get the boat floating - a friend had to drive their car into the water as well as the trailer - after all the problems with the trailer - not sure I want to go through that with the car as well. I think this is only had low water though. Is this correct Hugh? As the local resident in the know.
the problem is at high water, not low water
i never launch at high tide or around high tide as the slip is quite shallow, but the slip has a couple of steeper bits that are ideal for launching, if you aim for 1-1,5 hours either side of high you should be fine and dandy. the lower the tide the better especially if you have a 4x4

if you have only a front wheel drive car then you may have some difficulties but it is a busy wide slip and always someone with a landy or other to help so not a problem at all.
Old 22 June 2007, 09:36   #24

Quote:
the problem is at high water, not low water
i never launch at high tide or around high tide as the slip is quite shallow, but the slip has a couple of steeper bits that are ideal for launching, if you aim for 1-1,5 hours either side of high you should be fine and dandy. the lower the tide the better especially if you have a 4x4

if you have only a front wheel drive car then you may have some difficulties but it is a busy wide slip and always someone with a landy or other to help so not a problem at all.
See - I knew you had the knowledge
Old 22 June 2007, 09:44   #25

Quote:
See - I knew you had the knowledge
thanks and good luck slipping it in for the first time this weekend
Old 22 June 2007, 10:47   #26
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
http://www.qhmportsmouth.com/index.p...ous=27&art=315

Its not necessary to ask permission on the VHF anymore. Unless that was just a trial or something?
Like Chris123 says, it seems you do still have to call up. Click on your link above and it says:

"a. Arrival. In the interest of safety all Small Boats bound for Gunwharf Quays/Town Camber are to enter harbour through the Small Boat Channel. Vessels are only to cross the Main Channel when they are to the north of Ballast Beacon, and permission has been obtained from QHM on VHF Channel 11. ...

b. Departure. Small Boats departing from Gunwharf Quays and Town Camber are to obtain permission from QHM on VHF Channel 11 before proceeding."

John
Old 22 June 2007, 11:16   #27

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Ah yeah. I was thinking of this notice

"From 08 – 22 May 2006 there will be a trial relaxation of the requirement for boats of less than 20metres in length to call Harbour Control when crossing the Harbour to and from the small boats channel via Ballast pile beacon"

I had it in my head that it was a permanent relaxation.
Old 22 June 2007, 13:51   #28

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Kaybe
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha Wake Sport 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Gavin F
Quote:

Hugh, that's great thanks. Am a little worried about the 'first time' like with anything i guess so some guidance, pointers, etc from a pro would be great. Maybe you could PM me with your tel number just incase. Might try this afternoon but depends on work load.

Re the thread further on with the front wheel drive cars, i've got a Saab 9-3 2.2TiD so hoping this will be ok??
Old 22 June 2007, 13:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
Like Chris123 says, it seems you do still have to call up. Click on your link above and it says:

"a. Arrival. In the interest of safety all Small Boats bound for Gunwharf Quays/Town Camber are to enter harbour through the Small Boat Channel. Vessels are only to cross the Main Channel when they are to the north of Ballast Beacon, and permission has been obtained from QHM on VHF Channel 11. ...

b. Departure. Small Boats departing from Gunwharf Quays and Town Camber are to obtain permission from QHM on VHF Channel 11 before proceeding."

John
So does this mean I cant go through the Harbour then without a VHF? Looking to invest in one, any suggestions for starters?
Old 22 June 2007, 13:59   #30

Quote:
It doesn't look that bad actually, £30 for the year aswell isn't a bad price either is it? It's quite a way out the Solent though so I guess there is a downside? For playing around and getting used to the boat might not be a bad thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	80___Selected.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	27929  
Old 22 June 2007, 14:05   #31

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
So does this mean I cant go through the Harbour then without a VHF? Looking to invest in one, any suggestions for starters?

Standard Horizon Portable is a good start. Give Janet at Nautequip a ring and ask her for the show price. which will give you a good guide price to negotiate with a more local supplier like Daveh or Jimbo

http://www.yachtbits.com/standard_ho...ndheld_vhf.php
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2007, 14:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Standard Horizon Portable is a good start. Give Janet at Nautequip a ring and ask her for the show price. which will give you a good guide price to negotiate with a more local supplier like Daveh or Jimbo

http://www.yachtbits.com/standard_ho...ndheld_vhf.php
Looks like a gooden. Is Janet at www.nautequipe.co.uk - where do Daveh and Jimbo work then?
Old 22 June 2007, 18:42   #33

Quote:
Hugh, that's great thanks. Am a little worried about the 'first time' like with anything i guess so some guidance, pointers, etc from a pro would be great. Maybe you could PM me with your tel number just incase. Might try this afternoon but depends on work load.

Re the thread further on with the front wheel drive cars, i've got a Saab 9-3 2.2TiD so hoping this will be ok??
yes we are down at the witterings/ichenor for the weekend so will drop you my mobile number and more than happy to meet you down at ichenor and give you some pointers, the chichester harbour would be a great place for you to get to grips with everything before getting out to the sea.

as for the saab....bad news i am afraid, it would not pull our 6.5m rib out, we have a saab 9-5 and they are not much use for pulling out at ichenor, we have not tried it on concrete yet but it failed abismally at ichenor, it is a manual 2.3t. however when we had probs we waited 5 mins and a landy turned up and had the boat up the slope to the shallow gradient area in a minute. so dont be put off. it might be worth investing in some ropes, i can show you the ropes i got which would pull anything out!

pm sent
Old 22 June 2007, 19:02   #34

Quote:
yes we are down at the witterings/ichenor for the weekend so will drop you my mobile number and more than happy to meet you down at ichenor and give you some pointers, the chichester harbour would be a great place for you to get to grips with everything before getting out to the sea.

as for the saab....bad news i am afraid, it would not pull our 6.5m rib out, we have a saab 9-5 and they are not much use for pulling out at ichenor, we have not tried it on concrete yet but it failed abismally at ichenor, it is a manual 2.3t. however when we had probs we waited 5 mins and a landy turned up and had the boat up the slope to the shallow gradient area in a minute. so dont be put off. it might be worth investing in some ropes, i can show you the ropes i got which would pull anything out!

pm sent
Perfect choice - Disco for Ribbing and Saab Conv for the sun!
Old 22 June 2007, 20:27   #35

Quote:
Looks like a gooden. Is Janet at www.nautequipe.co.uk - where do Daveh and Jimbo work then?

Ribnet

Usernames Jimbo and DaveH will get you links
Old 22 June 2007, 22:55   #36

Quote:

pm sent

Hi Hugh, me again! Just wanted to comment on the Saab thing, doh! Have got some ropes so should be ok i guess as this is how the guy i bought the rib off launched and he had a Jeep. Might be time to chop the Saab in then for a 4x4 but need something that the clients would like and as economic as the 9-3, hmmm? Unlike Sarah I cant quite afford both at the mo : )
Old 22 June 2007, 23:20   #37

I don't think you'd have a problem with a 5 mtr behind a car especially with a rope. The Saabs a posh vauxhall isn't it and the GM 2.2 diesel got some grunt.

Before I launch if I am on a strange slipway then I do a trial recovery so I know I won't have a problem on my return

Just remember when you are using a rope that the balance of the boat and trailer needs to be nose down so if you have a light nose weight put some ballast in the nose during recovery/ launching

Also I would stress that it isn't good to have people in the boat whilst recovering on a rope.......which brings us back to the waders.

Chris 1573 recovers his 5.2m with a passat diesel and the fkkr flies out!

there is a great del of difference between the weight of a 6.5 and a 5m boat an Optimax 200 (great engine BTW) weighs 225 Kilos and your Yam weighs 83
theres likely be a 50 Kilo diference in the fuel load plus the weight of the larger hull would give at least a 400 kilo weight differnce.

get a 4*4 by all means but you don't need one to get a 5m boat out unless you are in mud
Old 23 June 2007, 08:58   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
I don't think you'd have a problem with a 5 mtr behind a car especially with a rope. The Saabs a posh vauxhall isn't it and the GM 2.2 diesel got some grunt.

Before I launch if I am on a strange slipway then I do a trial recovery so I know I won't have a problem on my return

Just remember when you are using a rope that the balance of the boat and trailer needs to be nose down so if you have a light nose weight put some ballast in the nose during recovery/ launching

Also I would stress that it isn't good to have people in the boat whilst recovering on a rope.......which brings us back to the waders.

Chris 1573 recovers his 5.2m with a passat diesel and the fkkr flies out!

there is a great del of difference between the weight of a 6.5 and a 5m boat an Optimax 200 (great engine BTW) weighs 225 Kilos and your Yam weighs 83
theres likely be a 50 Kilo diference in the fuel load plus the weight of the larger hull would give at least a 400 kilo weight differnce.

get a 4*4 by all means but you don't need one to get a 5m boat out unless you are in mud
So I can keep the Saab then by the sound of things. Went for a drove last night over to the Lee On Solent slip, HMS Daedalus one. Thought i'd see how steep it is without the boat towed on and was a little struggle at first but then it got going so should be ok. What are the best tow cars / 4x4's just out of interest in your opinion?
Old 23 June 2007, 09:05   #39

Ahh I like that slipway i didn't recomend it to you because the water can go sideways a bit I've put a camel ( 2 rons) in and out of that slipway with a 2.0 Primera. It was a struggle and I bought a 4 x4 shortly afterwards but you'll be fine.

BTW don't be shy about calling your instructor and getting some free post course advice, he should be dedicated to ensuring your boating is safe and the slipway is paramount to that
Old 23 June 2007, 09:25   #40

Quote:
Hi Hugh, me again! Just wanted to comment on the Saab thing, doh! Have got some ropes so should be ok i guess as this is how the guy i bought the rib off launched and he had a Jeep. Might be time to chop the Saab in then for a 4x4 but need something that the clients would like and as economic as the 9-3, hmmm? Unlike Sarah I cant quite afford both at the mo : )
To be honest, you can pick up a Landrover Disco Series 1 (easy to maintain as it is not computerised) for about £1500 to £2000. They are horrendous on fuel economy if Petrol - not too bad Diesel but if you are not travelling far just use it for launching and retrieval.

The maintenance costs are very low (IMHO).