Old 27 September 2008, 01:52   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A stuff in the Burry Estuary tends to be worse - you would probably hit bottom and that's even harder than a wave!!!
Old 27 September 2008, 09:50   #22

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
A stuff in the Burry Estuary tends to be worse - you would probably hit bottom and that's even harder than a wave!!!
Speaking from experience Codo? Any pics or vid?
Old 27 September 2008, 11:10   #23

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I still don't agree, these gnarly spots exist up and down the coasts. The Race off Portland, Lizard Point with a flood tide against wind, Lands End where two currents hit at a 90 degree angle.
C'mon guys it's not black magic just common sense. If it's gonna get shitty, anticipate, don't drive on blindly.
Old 27 September 2008, 11:16   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I still don't agree, these gnarly spots exist up and down the coasts. The Race off Portland, Lizard Point with a flood tide against wind, Lands End where two currents hit at a 90 degree angle.
C'mon guys it's not black magic just common sense. If it's gonna get shitty, anticipate, don't drive on blindly.

I've done Portland Race many times, the Lizard a couple of times and the Solent still has more holes and shorter wavelengths. The seas are smaller,but it's probably trickier for it because it's harder to gauge.

You need to experience it to believe it-it's not 'extreme' by any stretch of the imagination and it looks a lot calmer than th Lizard or Portland in the same winds but it still does it. It's a bit of a fluke I s'pose.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 11:54   #25

Town: Shepperton
Boat name: Shamu
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Not off Mollulnan beach they don't

But seriously, you need to try the Solent on a rough day with wind against tide and I'll almost guarantee you'll find a hole or a trough and nosedive into it before you can cut the throttle unless you're doing displacement speeds.
i'll second that, i use a foot throttle and have good reactions and judgement (i think) and yet occasionally i cant avoid sticking my nose halfway down the back of a rogue wave and taking more briny on board than i'd like.
Old 27 September 2008, 12:40   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Speaking from experience Codo? Any pics or vid?
Not in my boat!!!

it was a few years ago in a mate's old Avon - we came off a wave into the trough and we could see sand - luckily the water came back just in time........

There is a documented incident of quite a few boats sinking and many lives lost on Broughton beach - it was in the days of sail and a fishing fleet was lying to anchor as the wind had dropped - suddenly an massive swell developed and the boat were in 30' of water one minute - then on dry sand the next - after a few hrs of this they were smashed to bits.
Old 27 September 2008, 13:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
i'll second that, i use a foot throttle and have good reactions and judgement (i think) and yet occasionally i cant avoid sticking my nose halfway down the back of a rogue wave and taking more briny on board than i'd like.
I wonder how many of the RB08 boats stuffed to such a degree that screens were torn off?
Old 27 September 2008, 14:08   #28

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
JW - I was going with the waves.

Chris - I fitted the screen that broke. Took me 2 days to get it on so not looking forward to doing it again.

Mollers - "Driving like a tit" - depends on your point of view. Like I said I had just driven through 14 miles of the stuff with hardly a cup full of water in the boat. I know how to drive sensibly if I need to. Just wanted to see what was possible. Not going to learn that reading the post of others. The patch of water in question is just north of peterhead, with a good fetch and an opposing tide you can often see a white area of breaking water stretching out for about a quarter of a mile from the point. Inside the waves are close together (some appear standing) jumbled and unpredicable but fun to ride through providing you don't over cook it. Often its too rough to go into the waves and you have to go out and around it on the way back.

Martini - don't remember the decelleration being too bad. Also what I like about the discovery console is that being low, there is not much to hit if you go forward. Its also got a nice foot rest that you can brace your self against.
Richard
Old 27 September 2008, 14:38   #29

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I wonder how many of the RB08 boats stuffed to such a degree that screens were torn off?
My first stuff went as follows :
Did you know a car tyre floats in salt water ? .. Cos in the time it took for that thought to enter my head, when I was passing one ,.. I'd taken my eye off the ball and the sea infront of me to do my first ever stuff in a 6.5m boat. Running before the wind in a force six, cracking run , but thats all it took, to miss the signs of what was about to happen. 4 miles running like that, and all perfect, but for that one moment

The RB08 boats would mostly be larger craft that would be less likely to suffer this kind of problem surely ?
Old 27 September 2008, 14:57   #30

Sooo Richard, when in a similar situation in the future, would you do anything differently?
Old 28 September 2008, 06:30   #31

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
....keep a spare screen in the garage.

Difficult to draw too many conclusions from one minor mishap. Need to do it again a few times and see if a pattern emerges! AC3K waterproof camera now on order.

The reason the screen gave out so easily is that it was under a lot of tension. The shape is basically a big U with a flat bottom fairly tight square corners. The material around the outermost washer was dished out slightly as a result of the tension. When fitting it I used a heat gun at first but it did not seem to be helping much so I used brute force and long screws to jack it in to place. Even after sitting like that for the best part of a year, now off the boat and on the garage floor the screen has returned to pretty much absolutely flat. This time once the screen is in place I will set up the heat gun and cook the corners at a controlled temperature and hopefully remove some of the stress.
Old 28 September 2008, 09:15   #32

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Selman View Post

Difficult to draw too many conclusions from one minor mishap. Need to do it again a few times and see if a pattern emerges! AC3K waterproof camera now on order.

The reason the screen gave out so easily is that it was under a lot of tension. The shape is basically a big U with a flat bottom fairly tight square corners. The material around the outermost washer was dished out slightly as a result of the tension. When fitting it I used a heat gun at first but it did not seem to be helping much so I used brute force and long screws to jack it in to place. Even after sitting like that for the best part of a year, now off the boat and on the garage floor the screen has returned to pretty much absolutely flat. This time once the screen is in place I will set up the heat gun and cook the corners at a controlled temperature and hopefully remove some of the stress.
Richard have you used self tappers or nuts and bolts to fix the screen?

Was any damage done to the console (ie. did it tear out any fixings)

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 21:03   #33

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Difficult to draw too many conclusions from one minor mishap. Need to do it again a few times and see if a pattern emerges!
Ok, so we can all make mistakes, but we normally try to learn from them. The way your initial message reads, it sounds like you had a lucky escape, (or at least that is my take), not like a "minor mishap", and you think you need to do it again! (Or are yu just trying to wind up Mollers??)
Old 29 September 2008, 17:22   #34
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
whats the TV ariel for on the stern?
wochin telitubbies wile rescewin ribnobburs.

. .. .-.--..

. . . . .

gaRf
Old 30 September 2008, 19:20   #35

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
i have manufactured and fittted many screens on various consoles, as a rule i use black number plate screws M6: Nylon these are available almost any car spares shop, and in the event of sumat nasty occuring these will snap of before causing any great harm to you or said console, more so the console will most likely survive,

just my tuppence worth,
Old 30 September 2008, 19:29   #36

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Nugent, had I not fitted one of these screens myself I would be inclined to agree with you. Unfortunately bending 5mm makrolon around a tight corner and then holding it in place requires some really substantial fixings.

I found the same as Richard and did not bother with a heat gun as I found it had little effect so I just manually bent the stuff round fixing it every 6-7 inches with 5mm bolts through some cup washers

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2008, 19:33   #37

[QUOTE=Richard Selman;265267] ....keep a spare screen in the garage.

have you got one yet? one sitting in the garage, and its not a flat packed variety either

same as pic shown, self tapers fixingchanged to nylon a said I was still fitting her out and sizing up then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weston + dry suit sale 029.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	37813  
Old 30 September 2008, 19:34   #38

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I found the same as Richard and did not bother with a heat gun as I found it had little effect so I just manually bent the stuff round fixing it every 6-7 inches with 5mm bolts through some cup washers
You usually can't get enough heat on the area to be bent with a hot air gun. I setup a halogen heat lamp as a ambient heat source then used the heat gun locally to assist with the bend without getting air bubbles.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2008, 19:39   #39

Town: Fareham
[QUOTE=nugent;265733]
Quote:

have you got one yet? one sitting in the garage, and its not a flat packed variety either

same as pic shown, self tapers fixingchanged to nylon a said I was still fitting her out and sizing up then.
There's not much contact area for the perspex to sit against the console.

Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	25.04.08 009 (Medium).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	37814   Click image for larger version

Name:	25.04.08 007 (Medium).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	37815  

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2008, 19:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nugent, had I not fitted one of these screens myself I would be inclined to agree with you. Unfortunately bending 5mm makrolon around a tight corner and then holding it in place requires some really substantial fixings.

hi chris, when i shape it makralon plexiglass etc it stays in shape, prior to fitting, it takes time to get plastic to right temp, then needs to cool prior to shaping, i have more templates than i wish to remember, its not easy to do if never tackled before for sure, discovery console does not help with such a small lip to fit to and the biggest mistake is to keep a staright edge on bends see my fiiting prior to bending then curve up on corners, it helps loads.

also note there is no screw fitted on radious yet, but its siting there snug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weston + dry suit sale 027.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	37816   Click image for larger version

Name:	weston + dry suit sale 029.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	37817