Old 26 September 2008, 14:54   #1

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
First Stuff

Experienced my first real stuff on Saturday. Took a friend for a 7 mile run from Peterhead to Cruden Bay in fairly lumpy, messy, just-breaking sea but kept the speed down to avoid to much discomfort. Dropped him off back to the beach and then went for a blast on my own. Headed to the North Head to look for the rough water where the tide runs over the shallows and kept pushing the speed up to see what happened. Amazed at how the boat was handling the conditions – waves were probably averaging 6’ peak to peak fairly close together and breaking in parts. Boat was punching through the peaks sending spray 20 foot in all directions. All was going fine until this big trough open up and the nose hit into the next wave too far down from the peak. First thought was “here comes some serious spray” then as the tube crumpled and disappeared under at least a foot of solid green water “oh cr*p”. Bow went down further, the water rolled up the console and hit me in the face hard pushing me back into the seat (this probably helped pull the throttle back) . It felt like a pitchpole on a cat and was wondering how far it was going to go. Sunglasses long gone. Bow popped up and I looked back and the water was pouring over the transom with the top almost down to sea level (this boat has a high transom with no cut out). Boat was well down in the stern but there was still water sloshing 8” deep at my seat position. Looked over to the rocks nearby and thought “double cr*p”. Looked forwards and saw that the screen was smashed at both sides (the lump must of pressed the screen down and the sides gave up. Pushed the throttle forward expecting nothing to happen but the engine was fine and she started to push forward. A heap of water left over the transom (had to back off to avoid covering the engine) - then the dump trunk started to do its work and the water drained away. Scurried off back through the breakwaters to inspect for any moire damage. Other than the screen, everything is fine.

Was considering getting one of the action cams. Probably would have disappeared with the sunglasses though.

The wide console worked well and took the brunt of the force. Might have followed the sunglasses myself with a smaller console.

Considering a second dump trunk - it took a surprising amount of time to get rid of the water.

Richard
Old 26 September 2008, 15:12   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Sounds like a pretty close one - your Yam did a great job.

Maybe now you will realise why I admire Ocean Dynamics boats so much - no transom!!!
Old 26 September 2008, 15:21   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Never done it in a Rib but on a jetski endless times. Its amazing to think that you can put several tonnes of water over/ through a rib and 'most' of the time the bits that really dont like water ( engines / electrics) keep running no problems !

I ended up getting banned form wearing sunglasses and got some google type things off ebay that were great & kept all the spray out.

One question - has it made you more confident ( ie you would be very cool if it happened again ) or more wary ( Ie wont bloody go out & do that again !) ?
Old 26 September 2008, 15:38   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
Nah - want to try it again. Might not have been driving fast enough - faster may have cleared the wave. I have been pushing it each time I have been out just to see what is possible. By my standards I was going a bit mad then - would never have driven like that with anyone else on board. Well used to some spectacular crashes in the catamaran so dont fear the water much. I always wear a drysuit so I am not too worried about getting home - boat or no boat.

Richard
Old 26 September 2008, 17:33   #5

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
I think it's a very brave man that pushes harder in rough conditions, it only takes one combined double wave and a big trough to hurt everyone on board. You always have to be ready to back off, this is where I am learning to work the throttle to keep my attitude level when working her hard. I'm glad you weren't hurt as I was earler this year in very stormy conditions.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 17:41   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Richard, do you have Osprey Discovery Console fitted?

If you do then the worst is yet to come. Fitting the new screen will seem like a cake walk compared to stuffing

I speak from experience

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 18:28   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
It sounds like you were driving like a tit. I have the same boat and have pushed her pretty hard in big seas over 3hr passages and not come close to burying the thing to that degree. You must've driven it down the face and rammed it into the trough or tripped it into a hole.
Ah well, we live and learn.
Old 26 September 2008, 18:40   #8

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
It sounds like you were driving like a tit. I have the same boat and have pushed her pretty hard in big seas over 3hr passages and not come close to burying the thing to that degree. You must've driven it down the face and rammed it into the trough or tripped it into a hole.
Ah well, we live and learn.
I know you like a little banter Mollers, but there are wave conditions that have caught many out. Perhaps your's is still to come

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 19:07   #9

Length: no boat
As Codprawn says the ocean dynamics have no transom and in the case of our 9.2 meter it has a raised consol postion so anywater that comes in flows straight down the deck and out the back, whilst the crews feet stay dry -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Venturers RIB.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	37754

Glad your ok and that no serious damage was done to your RIB
Old 26 September 2008, 19:17   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Matt - in a serious stuff is there a risk that the crew could be washed right out the back? whats the TV ariel for on the stern?
Old 26 September 2008, 19:23   #11

Quote:
Matt - in a serious stuff is there a risk that the crew could be washed right out the back? whats the TV ariel for on the stern?
Hiya.

no more likely than any other RIB, its very safe, very steady and can take quite a pounding, the crew are normally standing and thus learn to take the shock of waves through thier leg muscles, the console is reasonably enclosed, in the sense it is wrapped at the side and keeps the crew firmly in place.
she also got a lot of grunt (Iveco NEF 400hp Turbo Charged 6 Cylinder Diesel) so is never short of power to get you out the poo.

the "TV ariel" on the stern is a fold down boarding ladder is actually mainly used when the RIB is on its trailer.
Old 26 September 2008, 19:34   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-V-SAR View Post
no more likely than any other RIB, its very safe, very steady and can take quite a pounding, the crew are normally standing and thus learn to take the shock of waves through thier leg muscles, the console is reasonably enclosed, in the sense it is wrapped at the side and keeps the crew firmly in place.
I can see that the console does offer plenty of protection for crew who are behind it (but perhaps not "survivors" who would also be less experienced on what to expect). With no engines or transom anyone getting washed to the back would be in the sea.

Compared to a "normal" rib I would think that standing up with no leaning post, no jockey seats etc. would make you more inclined to fall over. Whether it is better to fall over in an open transomed (jet) boat or to smack a load of hardware on the way backwards may be a different matter.

Not criticising it. Just interested in how you balanced the different hazards/risks. If you do decide you need a transom I'll swap it for my 3.9m boat complete with transom - i'll even deliver it FOC
Old 26 September 2008, 19:38   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Richard, did you do this in a head sea or a following sea?
Old 26 September 2008, 19:42   #14

Polwart,

Is a good point and when it comes to survivors it really depends on how many you have on board, most of the time they are placed in the bow which is a fair size and is open, they are then away from any towlines or equipment that may be being used on deck.

Grab rails run the whole boat length down the side of the main engine compartment so always something to hold onto,

As with regards to balance, the boat as said before is very stable , but with four crew in the console it you almost support each other, you can lean against the side of the console and there is small back supports on the engine hatch directly behind the Coxswain and radio operator, these are built into the engine hatch and again a couple of survivors can be placed on them if conditions are that bad and if they are wet/cold or first aid is being administered etc,

all good points though

Quote:
If you do decide you need a transom I'll swap it for my 3.9m boat complete with transom - i'll even deliver it FOC
nice suggestion but think i may love this boat too much
Old 26 September 2008, 19:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I know you like a little banter Mollers, but there are wave conditions that have caught many out. Perhaps your's is still to come
I don't agree. I've not come across a rogue hole or trough. If conditions dictate, one keeps the one hand on the 'loud stick' and eyes full ahead. 'Wave conditions' don't just sneak up on you.
Old 26 September 2008, 20:36   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I don't agree. I've not come across a rogue hole or trough. If conditions dictate, one keeps the one hand on the 'loud stick' and eyes full ahead. 'Wave conditions' don't just sneak up on you.
The Scene - Gypsy Rose's tent

"Yes, I see a wave, a BIG wave...
... it has something written on it....
... it says "Mullet", no, I think it's "Mollers"
... does this have any meaning for you?"

Old 26 September 2008, 21:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
The Scene - Gypsy Rose's tent

"Yes, I see a wave, a BIG wave...
... it has something written on it....
... it says "Mullet", no, I think it's "Mollers"
... does this have any meaning for you?"

Yep, thanks for that. I'll pass on the heather and the tarmac, but I'll take a dozen pegs.
Old 26 September 2008, 22:20   #18
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:

Not off Mollulnan beach they don't

But seriously, you need to try the Solent on a rough day with wind against tide and I'll almost guarantee you'll find a hole or a trough and nosedive into it before you can cut the throttle unless you're doing displacement speeds.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2008, 22:35   #19

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
I don't agree. 'Wave conditions' don't just sneak up on you.

And if you've ever navigated in the North Minch, that phrase could haunt you..... .. no malice intended.. but that confidence would be a mistake here
Old 26 September 2008, 22:54   #20

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
IMO this could have had a very unhappy ending. Coming to a sudden stop when the nose buried you could have smashed your head on the console, got knocked out and then washed over the side. Next thing you and the boat are getting smashed into little pieces on the rocks.

I used to push my boat pretty hard on lumpy passages, getting the prop out the water every dozen or so waves, until the 2 clamp bolts under the powerhead sheared off and my 150 evinrude ended up 40m down
It was only cos I had just shelled out for a new motor and was wary of this that I spotted it next season 1 bolt snapped and the other working its way out

I think its all to easy to gain too much confidence in a rib, they are inherently so comfortable etc you don't realize how much punishment you are putting the hull through and even more so the machinery.