Old 26 September 2008, 21:52   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A stuff in the Burry Estuary tends to be worse - you would probably hit bottom and that's even harder than a wave!!!

Old 27 September 2008, 05:50   #22

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
A stuff in the Burry Estuary tends to be worse - you would probably hit bottom and that's even harder than a wave!!!
Speaking from experience Codo? Any pics or vid?

Old 27 September 2008, 07:10   #23

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
I still don't agree, these gnarly spots exist up and down the coasts. The Race off Portland, Lizard Point with a flood tide against wind, Lands End where two currents hit at a 90 degree angle.
C'mon guys it's not black magic just common sense. If it's gonna get shitty, anticipate, don't drive on blindly.
Old 27 September 2008, 07:16   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I still don't agree, these gnarly spots exist up and down the coasts. The Race off Portland, Lizard Point with a flood tide against wind, Lands End where two currents hit at a 90 degree angle.
C'mon guys it's not black magic just common sense. If it's gonna get shitty, anticipate, don't drive on blindly.

I've done Portland Race many times, the Lizard a couple of times and the Solent still has more holes and shorter wavelengths. The seas are smaller,but it's probably trickier for it because it's harder to gauge.

You need to experience it to believe it-it's not 'extreme' by any stretch of the imagination and it looks a lot calmer than th Lizard or Portland in the same winds but it still does it. It's a bit of a fluke I s'pose.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2008, 07:54   #25

Town: Shepperton
Boat name: Shamu
Make: BananaShark
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Not off Mollulnan beach they don't

But seriously, you need to try the Solent on a rough day with wind against tide and I'll almost guarantee you'll find a hole or a trough and nosedive into it before you can cut the throttle unless you're doing displacement speeds.
i'll second that, i use a foot throttle and have good reactions and judgement (i think) and yet occasionally i cant avoid sticking my nose halfway down the back of a rogue wave and taking more briny on board than i'd like.
Old 27 September 2008, 08:40   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Speaking from experience Codo? Any pics or vid?
Not in my boat!!!

it was a few years ago in a mate's old Avon - we came off a wave into the trough and we could see sand - luckily the water came back just in time........

There is a documented incident of quite a few boats sinking and many lives lost on Broughton beach - it was in the days of sail and a fishing fleet was lying to anchor as the wind had dropped - suddenly an massive swell developed and the boat were in 30' of water one minute - then on dry sand the next - after a few hrs of this they were smashed to bits.
Old 27 September 2008, 09:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
i'll second that, i use a foot throttle and have good reactions and judgement (i think) and yet occasionally i cant avoid sticking my nose halfway down the back of a rogue wave and taking more briny on board than i'd like.
I wonder how many of the RB08 boats stuffed to such a degree that screens were torn off?
Old 27 September 2008, 10:08   #28

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
JW - I was going with the waves.

Chris - I fitted the screen that broke. Took me 2 days to get it on so not looking forward to doing it again.

Mollers - "Driving like a tit" - depends on your point of view. Like I said I had just driven through 14 miles of the stuff with hardly a cup full of water in the boat. I know how to drive sensibly if I need to. Just wanted to see what was possible. Not going to learn that reading the post of others. The patch of water in question is just north of peterhead, with a good fetch and an opposing tide you can often see a white area of breaking water stretching out for about a quarter of a mile from the point. Inside the waves are close together (some appear standing) jumbled and unpredicable but fun to ride through providing you don't over cook it. Often its too rough to go into the waves and you have to go out and around it on the way back.

Martini - don't remember the decelleration being too bad. Also what I like about the discovery console is that being low, there is not much to hit if you go forward. Its also got a nice foot rest that you can brace your self against.
Richard
Old 27 September 2008, 10:38   #29

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I wonder how many of the RB08 boats stuffed to such a degree that screens were torn off?
My first stuff went as follows :
Did you know a car tyre floats in salt water ? .. Cos in the time it took for that thought to enter my head, when I was passing one ,.. I'd taken my eye off the ball and the sea infront of me to do my first ever stuff in a 6.5m boat. Running before the wind in a force six, cracking run , but thats all it took, to miss the signs of what was about to happen. 4 miles running like that, and all perfect, but for that one moment

The RB08 boats would mostly be larger craft that would be less likely to suffer this kind of problem surely ?
Old 27 September 2008, 10:57   #30

Sooo Richard, when in a similar situation in the future, would you do anything differently?