Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 20 October 2010, 12:44   #41
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
The fact the JBT boat is now back available is good for you. Ask them for a sea trial and I think you will find the boat very able for your requirements in The Solent and Chichester harbour. To be fair on a good day the run to Cowes would be easy with the Avon and I suspect the roughest water will always be at Chichester bar for you to manage.

We also run a Ribtec 585 with Yamaha 100 and this copes with everything we throw at it whether as a new boat student or us using it for other work, engine is great so on the Avon will work as well for you
Old 20 October 2010, 12:51   #42

Town: Hayling Island
Boat name: Tardis
Make: SunSport
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner
I think you're probably right. Chichester bar is the worst bit. I was always told as a kid you need to have something over 25ft to make sure you can get through in bad weather. But my budget won't come anywhere near 25ft!
Old 20 October 2010, 12:54   #43
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by t08yg View Post
I think you're probably right. Chichester bar is the worst bit. I was always told as a kid you need to have something over 25ft to make sure you can get through in bad weather. But my budget won't come anywhere near 25ft!
No the bar is very manageble especially in a rib. Anyway no need to crash over the bar at wind/tide. You just pick the right time and right weather. Just look at how many Ribs come out of the harbour
Old 20 October 2010, 23:20   #44

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by t08yg View Post
In reality though, if as you say you have a 6 and 9 year old you're not going to be doing too much "tally ho bayonet between gritted teeth last one to Cowes in a Force 8 is a big girl's blouse" type stuff anyway, you're probably going to be fairly careful?

Buy the first one cheap, use it for a bit and see what you think of it and where the shortcomings are, then buy the second one to do exactly what you now know you want

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2010, 07:16   #45
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Try this:-

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/PAA14830

You'd have to change the console to get 8 onboard, but it's a much better boat..
I know it's yellow and oddly being yellow gets thefrom me, but the Osprey has an awesome hull and having had one it will take some beating. IMHO