Neil, its a possibility but if that is the case then they cut corners with a hull that was supposed to be replacing one that already had issues ? Someone I know works for one of the largest naval architect firms in the world that specialise in Military and Commercial craft with his speciality being high speed composite (including carbon) vessels. He came to see me on Saturday and once he had stopped doing this
we discussed various things about the hull but the main thing he found unbelievable is the fact that there were NO watertight bulkheads on the port or starboard sides bow to stern. This is something that I have addressed already with the new bulkheads but will be fitting more as the build progresses.
Anyway i think from the start of this thread we can all see how shocking this particular rib was when I got it, whilst I wouldn't want it to be the case for other people to have problems with their boats as well I am not worried about any other boats (got enough on my plate with this one and everything else I have to do in a normal day !!! but as I have said before I was aware that it will be a total rebuild).
I have however managed to find the only bit of plywood on the boat that wasn't rotten or even wet, it was used to try and strengthen the engine room cover and this didn't work (never would have worked) so the moulding was all distorted. I promptly turned it into "bin size" bits and have re-designed in my head how I am going to do the whole aft section of the boat