Old 27 July 2011, 14:26   #1

Length: no boat
First Rib Advice

Good afternoon all

We have spent several evenings using the search facilities here and we have confused ourselves to no end. Having never owned a rib hasn't helped, previous background is dinghies and yachts.

We have looked at a few through local suppliers and currently have options of:-

(Both below are circa £15,000)

- New Valiant 520 Sprint with 75 Evenrude E-Tec (A frame/Nav Lights & GPS Plotter/Sounder)

- Secondhand Ribeye 500, with low hours.

The intention is to dry-stack it so i'm less worried about launch-ability.

Obliviously, the Valiant comes with the added benefit of warranties, and the E-tec only requiring servicing every 3 years is an obvious positive.

The rib will primarily be used in the Plymouth Sound area and we want the ability to cruise to local coves/estuaries, nip along the coast to Salcombe, River Yealm etc and potentially longer trips to Fowey. As for amount of people, 2-3 adults regularly, occasionally 4-5.

Having looked at several set-ups, we decided we would like a bench seat somewhere in the boat and the Ribeye 500, with its two jockey seats behind the console and bench seat aft seemed appealing.

However, we like the look the of the Valiant and it is a very attractive price. What concerns me is that the main seating is aft and this might cause issues in the changeable weather of the South West.

I would be travelling down to use it and thus we need a boat that can be used in variable weather conditions. An absolute flat calm, fair weather only boat is unlikely to get used.

We haven't ruled out other designs, but these two are ones that are available locally at present.

Any insight/owner opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Old 28 July 2011, 14:12   #2

Rib craft??

On further searching of the forums, people have suggested a Ribcraft Professional 5.3.

I suspect a new one would be out of our budget, I shall email Ribcraft today to get a quote. Many of the second hand ones I have seen have jockey seat set ups. Has anyone removed the rear jockeys and fitted a bench seat?

If anybody has a couple of pictures of their 5.3s with two single jockeys and a bench seat, could I possibly have a look?

Many thanks
Old 31 July 2011, 15:50   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Sanchia
Make: Piranha
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 175
Nathaniel
I had the same problem when I went for my first Rib after coming from a small Cuddy, after taking lots of advice and blagging trips and trials on different Ribs, I went for as big as I could afford purely as use is in the solent which is often choppy, bigger the length made the chop less uncomfortable for passengers in particular, also wanted bench seat and front sunbathing/eating area, also plenty of storage as you will be suprised what you take and store, if your interested I have my Rib for sale = Piranha 6.8
if you search on Atlas Marine you will be able to view, if nothing else hope the details above have been helpful and good luck, but do stretch to that bit bigger to avoid being disappointed after your first season

Patrick
Old 31 July 2011, 17:52   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Nathaniel, I don't think there is necessarily a wrong answer from the two you proposed. The seating on the valiant might not be everyone's choice for rough weather, but being so far back should make it better. Bigmuz swears his valiant (5.7?) Was better than his 8m boat! New means less risk, so that would lean me towards the valiant, but probably the Dr rather than sport range. But that may depend on your style choices too. Rib eye are very successful at catering for your market - and the fact it commands a similar price despite being used tells you something, at least in terms of market perception.

As for your ribcraft, it would certainly do what you want - but I've heard it suggested that the 5.3 is the poorest in their range (certainly I know one 5.3 owner who wishes they bought a 4.8, and I've heard similar remarks elsewhere). So beware paying the ribcraft premium. Also I think it will be quite a bit heavier than the other two so slower / need more horses. Humber and XS would be an obvious consideration at this sort of budget and size.

Edit: oh and might be worth talking to ribshop - if their rs defender range suits your needs... review a couple of months ago in rib international, and if I remember rightly roughly in your ball park.
Old 31 July 2011, 19:06   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Don't forget the Ribcraft 5.45 that Maximus recommends. The fact that it is now only a special order implies to me at least that there is demand for it from those in the know?
Old 01 August 2011, 06:53   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Don't forget the Ribcraft 5.45 that Maximus recommends. The fact that it is now only a special order implies to me at least that there is demand for it from those in the know?
Mmm... one of the boats I am thinking of might actually be a 5.45 rather than a 5.3 - I hadn't computed that they had dropped one from their range (all Ribcrafts are special order - so I assume you mean "no longer routinely on offer!"). The other owner is definitely a 5.3 which is a bit underpowered but has left the owners disappointed after a variety of similar sized Humbers.
Old 01 August 2011, 08:11   #7

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest arranging a trial on both boat types as opposed to just reviewing photos / layout specs. You van then work out how the layout / storage works in a practical way, and which you feel most comfortable handling.

A lthough there are advantages in a new boat, there also benefits in a second hand one - especially if it's your first RIB. Popular makes will will hold value well.

I know I may be biast, but I can't fault the performance of my Ribcraft 5.3, and with a 100HP 4-stoke I'm averaging 0.8l/nm. In choppy seas I prefer my family to be on jockeys rather than on a bench seat. Each to their own preferences / needs though.
Old 08 August 2011, 14:39   #8

Thanks all

This decision has been concluded, see:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/excellen...tml#post414506