Old 19 September 2010, 10:50   #41
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Nothing wrong with Bombard. They're owned by Zodiac, who incidentally also own Avon....

As far as I can see the Bombard Explorer DB or SB finish is basically a Zodiac Pro 500....

I used to have a Zodiac Pro, but sold it as it slapped in anything rough, although saying that, it felt safe and I had complete confidence in its build....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Possibly, but I'd rather invest my £11k in something that was really good rather than "nothing wrong".
Sorry about muddling your thread earlier OP, serious time now:

I think Sparticus has hit the nail on the head, Bombard et al are well enough nailed together and certainly hit a price point that others can't when new (hence frequent advice here to buy a "real" boat secondhand)

Ultimately, I think it comes down to useage. If you're going to remain happy tooling around sheltered bays and coves with the odd sally outside on the best of days, any wee rib will cut the mustard. But if/once you feel ready to expand your horizons, a boat with a fast leisure hull such as the Bombard will not handle a bad chop or worse with any comfort or pleasure, limiting your boating options. If you decide to sell (like Sparticus did) then you're taking the depreciation hit on an almost new boat.

Bear in mind also that on all the brand new 5.5m ribs, the engine, trailer, electronics and equipment cost much the same, so the saving to you is in the actual RIB, meaning it's a VERY CHEAPLY BUILT BOAT.

I suspect that most of the Do or Die squad on here would say don't buy a brand new medium V rib until you're had a few runs on one and compared it to something a bit more rufty tufty in the bumps. There are hundreds of posters on here, and when we're not spoiling newbie threads, we're happy to take folks out for a spin - just ask. (I'm maybe a bit far away, but there's plenty closer)
Old 19 September 2010, 12:23   #42

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
There are trailers with removable drawbars, but unless you want a huge faff every time you take it anywhwere, it's probably best to look at the whole rig:

You can get trailers with hinged drawbars and brakes takes about 5 2 nibutes tyo sorrt out. pm DM he has had a couple
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2010, 12:32   #43

Town: Gas station
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 HP
So on the flip side how would a boat such as the ribcraft 4.8m handle carm seas, will it be as comfortable as the bombard pottering around.
Old 19 September 2010, 13:21   #44
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsports1 View Post
So on the flip side how would a boat such as the ribcraft 4.8m handle carm seas, will it be as comfortable as the bombard pottering around.
Better, I would have thought (opinion anyone?). It will need a touch more HP to reach the same speeds though, as it will probably be heavier and the deeper V needs a touch more power.
Old 19 September 2010, 19:43   #45

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Pictures as discussed.

If space is a premium, then you need to be creative with how things are stored. I do a bit of cycling, so my bikes are on handles fixed to the wall, lifejackets are the same, and there's also a Thule roof box suspended from the ceiling! The Twatsoo is just in shot. Waiting for the Sikaflex to arrive - so I can get it mounted.

The Ribcraft sits on a Rapide R40 trailer. It sits as far forward as the winch support. Suits me fine, however it's not a patch on an Indespension Rollercoaster trailer. It also sits a little higher. Pulls okay. It'll be better once the engine is on, so there's a bit of weight.

Although there looks like a bit of space at the stern, once the engine is on, and turned hard to port, I still have to clear the up and over door. To recap, length of garage is 18', width of door is 8' wide and the height is 6'8".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2572.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	54251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2573.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	54252   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2574.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	54253  
Old 20 September 2010, 06:46   #46

Town: Gas station
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 HP
how about the valiant vanguard 5.2m with 100HP mariner? there has been lots of activity on this forum about valiant. This has a deep V hull, in fact the same hull as the D series which i believe is the dive boats / commercial range.