Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post

Mr 1573
I have had a look at both of those boats on the site and I think the one with twins is a cracker.....

The other RIB Greyhound has had a hard life and ain't worth what is being asked.
I think both these boats have actually sold however It goes to show how missleading pictures can be, I thought that Greyhound looked exceptionally tidy from the pics. When you say it had a hard life what do you mean by this any info now could save me from making the same mistake when I find another boat.

Thanks

Old 21 December 2006, 11:27   #12

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
Great advert for the Rib, it's full of water!
That will have been my fault for leaving the elephants trunk down (photo was taken during a PB2 course at Gravesend).

Old 21 December 2006, 11:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1573 View Post
I think both these boats have actually sold however It goes to show how missleading pictures can be, I thought that Greyhound looked exceptionally tidy from the pics. When you say it had a hard life what do you mean by this any info now could save me from making the same mistake when I find another boat.
Chris, I would take Stu's comments with a pinch of Salt. Stu's help was invaluable when I first bought the boat - he gave very helpful advice on a few things and helped me to completely re-wire the nav lights. I think it would be doing the previous owner (Andy) a gross injustice to say that the boat has had a hard life - he always looked after her incredibly well and kept the hull and tubes in great condition.

When I took over Greyhound I had the engine fixed, and started using her for RYA Training Courses. She was used an awful lot over the year - however I repaired more than was worn! She benefitted from brand new grab lines, a complete compound and polish from Dave at Boat Care Uk, a thorough tube clean, and hydraulic steering fitted (amongst other things). Nasher on Ribnet kindly fitted a brand new axle, tow hitch, brakes and brake cables and larger wheels to the trailer, and I replaced most of the rollers and roller arms. The boat has always been stored under cover, and despite being a 1992 boat she does look as the pictures show her to be - well looked after.

When I sold her to Tim M, he replaced the engine, tidied all the cables together, fitted brand new electronics and had new panels made to cover any holes in the console left by old electronics.

The only 2 things I would update on her are the rubbing strake (this is in good condition, however is peeling away from the tubes in places) and I would replace the treadmaster flooring with non slip paint, as bits of that have chipped away.

If Tim is selling her, she would be worth taking a look at - she may have had a varied life, and seen some use, but she has been extremely well cared for; certainly by Andy, and to a lesser extent myself.

Again, Tim's Osprey has benefitted from a full refit, and the before and after photos are quite impressive! Worth a look...
Old 21 December 2006, 11:38   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Chris, I would take Stu's comments with a pinch of Salt. ...

Really!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2006, 11:40   #15

Quote:
Really!

Maybe when I've had a little more experience, something I am sadly lacking, I'll just totally ignore them!
Old 21 December 2006, 11:42   #16

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Maybe when I've had a little more experience, something I am sadly lacking, I'll just totally ignore them!
nah your just full of Bull.!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2006, 12:33   #17

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
I have had a look at both of those boats on the site and I think the one with twins is a cracker. Yammies are superb 2 strokes and if they have been regularly serrviced they will have years left in them.
They are mariner 2 cly 40s, which are reliable enough, just they always cough and splutter at tickover and will be a pain with manual pull starts. Not convinced its 5.5m either more like the 535 model which will be 5.15m in length and quite narrow beamed compared to the much wider 585 http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F122118/

Pete
Old 21 December 2006, 14:06   #18

Town: Gloucestershire
Pete I noticed that the 585 looks a lot wider and that appealed to me as I could see how easy it would be to modify the seating to pretty much anything you could want.

Chris
Old 21 December 2006, 14:09   #19

Town: Gloucestershire
Jimbo thanks for the heads up on Greyhound, if it comes up for sale I would certainly take a look, as with any car, if its been well used but looked after thats more desirable than a boat that has seen little use yet not been cared for.

Chris
Old 21 December 2006, 16:19   #20

Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Up in Norfolk without decent internet at the moment so only just saw this thread.

My Osprey is for sale at the moment on B&O for 3k ovno. As can been seen in the photo shes in very tidy condition. As Jimbo says shes full of water as she was left on the Thames overnight in October with the trunk down.

I bough Greyhound off Jimbo about a month ago now. Since aquiring her I've fitted new electronics (navman vhf, garmin plotter, depth etc) rewired the nav lights (this time with the wires inside the a-frame!) new ariel, etc etc an replaced the engine with the 2005 Merc 115 that was on the Osprey. The trailer has had most of the roller brackets and rollers replaced, so everything is in good working order. The boat has been cleaned and will have a full hull polish in the New Year. The only thing that needs to be done to her now really is the rubbing strake which is something I will be looking into when I bring her back down south in Jan. Shes' not currently for sale but probably will be in the not soo distant future so keep an eye on B&O......