Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
First go on my new boat

I finally picked the boat up yesterday.

With much anticipation, trepidation and excitement we took it from Hayling Island to the Isle of White and back just to try it out. Its even faster than I remembered from the demo. The shove it gives when you open up the twin 175's makes you laugh out loud. The ride was smooth and the boat seemed bigger than at the boat show !

In fact not just a bit bigger, my god its gigantic. Especially out of the water on the trailer.

When we hitched it up to my long wheel base high roof Transit van it actually made the van look small. Towing it was fine, apart from none of the trailer lights working. I spent all Friday night wiring my towbar up, then when we hitched the trailer up on Saturday afternoon we discovered no current, either that or all the bulbs had gone. But I thought sod it, Im not leaving it here and Im since Im driving up the Motorway / A34 Im only going to need to indicate twice

Got home fine, then spent the best part of 45 mins trying to reverse it onto my drive and round the side of my house. The boat is 2.95m wide, the drive is about 3m wide, that will fit right ? - anyway, due to the angle of approach and the narrow drive I cant use the van to push it all the way. So my wife and I then attempted to push the trailer - yup, you can laugh - that didnt work.

Then I had a bright idea, I took the strap from the winch, pulled it back under the boat and attached it with a tow rope to a steel fence post behind the boat and winched it in. It worked - a bit, very slowly. But now I need to turn the boat a bit. So Ive rung up a few mates and asked for help.

Oh well, at least its not sticking out into the road now and its kept the neighbours amused.

Old 06 October 2013, 08:57   #2

RIBase
Old 06 October 2013, 08:58   #3

RIBase
Old 06 October 2013, 09:01   #4

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Looks great, well done
Old 06 October 2013, 09:14   #5

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Your boat looks superb and I can sense your excitement but I'm afraid I really can't get my head around your attitude with the trailer board. Knowingly setting off with it defective strikes me as unbelievably foolhardy and displays utter disregard for other people on the road. Get it sorted sharpish. Please.
Old 06 October 2013, 09:37   #6

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Towing it was fine, apart from none of the trailer lights working. I spent all Friday night wiring my towbar up, then when we hitched the trailer up on Saturday afternoon we discovered no current, either that or all the bulbs had gone. But I thought sod it, Im not leaving it here and Im since Im driving up the Motorway / A34 Im only going to need to indicate twice
You presumably didn't need to brake at all? :ermm : (sorry I just couldn't make my mind up which emoticon best expressed my dispair!)

I'd suggest a bad earth if all the lights are not working as that suggests something common which would be the ground.

Quote:
The boat is 2.95m wide
have you checked thats legal to tow on the road?

I don't mean to be a kill joy. But you spend all that money on it and then take risks at the last minute.
Old 06 October 2013, 09:48   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Towing it was fine, apart from none of the trailer lights working. I spent all Friday night wiring my towbar up, then when we hitched the trailer up on Saturday afternoon we discovered no current, either that or all the bulbs had gone. But I thought sod it, Im not leaving it here and Im since Im driving up the Motorway / A34 Im only going to need to indicate twice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
but I'm afraid I really can't get my head around your attitude with the trailer board. Knowingly setting off with it defective strikes me as unbelievably foolhardy and displays utter disregard for other people on the road.
I'd have to agree. You may only have needed to indicate turns/lane changes twice but brake lights were surely essential? That is way too valuable a boat to have it ruined by someone running into the back of it. I wouldn't expect your insurer or the police to have much sympathy if it emerged after an accident that you left knowing your lights were defective.
Old 06 October 2013, 10:08   #8

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Bet you're glad you posted your experience now!!!

Maximum towing width in the UK is 2.55m so you need to deflate it to tow it, even then if it is wider than the tow vehicle you need to fit tow mirrors - in the eyes of the rossers, once you attach a trailer it becomes part of the vehicle and subject to the same rules - you probably wouldn't take the van out with no lights working.

I expect this wont affect you but unless your vehicle is ok to tow 3.5 tons then the maximum you can tow is 7m (trailer& boat).

Insurance companies will look for any excuse not to pay out, if you had an accident, even if it wasn't your fault, you'd loose the lot.

Enjoy the RIB, shame the bloke who handed it over to you didn't explain some of this.
Old 06 October 2013, 10:15   #9

RIBase
Yup, completely foolhardy - your all correct

I dont mind people telling me Im an idiot - its all good advice usually.

So now Im spending the afternoon changing the indicator bulbs - both were blown. So it wasnt my crap wiring as I thought, just two bulbs.

I did read that as long as its less than 3m wide, my van can tow it.
Old 06 October 2013, 10:22   #10

From the horses mouth.....

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/c...d-width-limits

Turns out I've broken the law too, as did others who'd towed my trailer, as I have a very long bar between the hitch and the boat that hep keeps the car dry when launching, puts my trailer well over 7m
Old 06 October 2013, 10:35   #11

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Yup, completely foolhardy - your all correct

I dont mind people telling me Im an idiot - its all good advice usually.

So now Im spending the afternoon changing the indicator bulbs - both were blown. So it wasnt my crap wiring as I thought, just two bulbs.

I did read that as long as its less than 3m wide, my van can tow it.
Get used to it! Once you've done it a few times though you'll find you'll be able to do it in 10 mins rather than taking all afternoon...
Old 06 October 2013, 10:39   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Maximum towing width in the UK is 2.55m so you need to deflate it to tow it,
no its not - that is the maximum width of the trailer NOT the load. Overhangs either side of up to 305 mm are permitted, provided the total load is not > 2.9m. There are means to go beyond 2.9m but I don't think they would wash if deflating the tube is all it takes and getting a 2.95 m boat through a 3m gap then deflating is probably wise anyway!

Quote:
I expect this wont affect you but unless your vehicle is ok to tow 3.5 tons then the maximum you can tow is 7m (trailer& boat).
nonsense- The provisions of paragraph (1) [which defines the 7 m rule] do not apply to—

(a)a vehicle combination or trailer which is constructed and normally used for the conveyance of indivisible loads of exceptional length;
Old 06 October 2013, 10:49   #13

Town: Plymouth
What a fabulous Rib. Enjoy!

I can see that fence/post to the right of the picture "falling" down in the near future....

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 06 October 2013, 10:51   #14

Boat name: Aintree
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: Twin 150's
I might be wrong but I think those transits can tow 2700kg?
Old 06 October 2013, 10:55   #15

Fk me, another slap on the wrist from Poly and really thought I had this covered - you should give the DVLA a bollocking for not making their web site clearer and getting unsuspecting forum users into trouble - or have you already?

My trailer is just short of 8m long (without boat) so am I allowed to pull it with my Volvo XC60?
Old 06 October 2013, 11:06   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
My trailer is just short of 8m long (without boat) so am I allowed to pull it with my Volvo XC60?
I believe yes. (1) the 7m rule applies only excluding the draw bar so may well not "legally" be over 7m. (2) it is a trailer which is constructed and normally used for the conveyance of indivisible loads of exceptional length - therefore the length rules does not apply (there are some other total length rules etc - but you'll be fine.

Of course you need to make sure that the weight limits, your license etc all tie in too!

As with all internet based advice you should satisfy yourself it is correct. The DVLA site is usually easier to understand than the C&U regs - but you can find them at legislation.gov.uk
Old 06 October 2013, 11:31   #17

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
I think weight is going to be your problem with the Volvo. Struggling to find the weight of your Rib, but estimate around 1800-2000kg in cruising trim plus 700kg ish for the trailer. Thats way over the limit for an XC60.
Old 06 October 2013, 11:58   #18

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
What a fabulous Rib. Enjoy!

I can see that fence/post to the right of the picture "falling" down in the near future....

BoatsandOutboards4Sale | Hand-picked boats & motors, fully tested, delivered nationwide.
+1

when we bought our rib the gates were too narrow, so a new set of galvanised gates and moving the gate post over sorted that, funnily enough the rib now lives in Nth Wales most of the time, but that just leaves loads more space for the SR4 when that's finished
Old 06 October 2013, 16:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
I think weight is going to be your problem with the Volvo. Struggling to find the weight of your Rib, but estimate around 1800-2000kg in cruising trim plus 700kg ish for the trailer. Thats way over the limit for an XC60.
I'm good for 2000kg - My RIB isn't 7m, the trailer is - mine is a RIBTEC 655, all up is 678kg plus another 100 for fuel and odds and sods then another 815 for the trailer, takes me just shy of 1500.
Old 06 October 2013, 16:54   #20

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Trimix love the look of your new boat, looks fab

My slight concern would be it dose not look at all suitable for diving from, as I thought this was your intention, is it not?

Looks great though
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote