Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller
searay speedo
Have you been laminating in which case wear a mask! Or have you bought a new pair of swimming trunks (no pics please)
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2004, 11:38   #43

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
what does a Phantom Evo clock with a Opti 225 and a three blade prop?

A bit off topic, but I saw a Phantom Evolution on the hard at Cowes a couple of weeks ago. It had the smallest tubes I have ever seen on a rib. Anyone know what they are like on the water - apart from fast!
Old 05 October 2004, 13:24   #44

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brambles
A bit off topic, but I saw a Phantom Evolution on the hard at Cowes a couple of weeks ago. It had the smallest tubes I have ever seen on a rib. Anyone know what they are like on the water - apart from fast!
They are indeed small, just a little further and they'll be perfect. only joking.

They're great in the slop, but do need driving very hard to get the best out of them, definitely not for loloping around at 15 knts.
Old 05 October 2004, 13:57   #45

Quote:
They are indeed small, just a little further and they'll be perfect. only joking.

Actually they were part deflated, so you would have approved
Old 05 October 2004, 14:19   #46

Actually I think I saw the boat myself, you mean the red/white one. It had some nasty damage on the st/bd chine.

It was the baby 6.5, not the original 7.5
Old 05 October 2004, 14:24   #47

Quote:
Actually I think I saw the boat myself, you mean the red/white one. It had some nasty damage on the st/bd chine.

It was the baby 6.5, not the original 7.5
Yes, that's the one. Is the Evo a cut & chop of your boat, or a new design? What sort of weight saving do they achieve over a hard Phantom?
Old 05 October 2004, 15:08   #48

No, the evo 7.5 is a 23 phantom running surface, with some mods to the chine, the 6.5 is a 7.5 with a plant in the mould.

The 23 phantom is typical of the ski/sportsboat line from phantom, having a chine beam of about 5' (at the transom) the 28 phantom is bigger all round, and has a chine beam at the transom of about 6' (7'1" overall).

Tornado's 9 metre rib is based on the 28 phantom, although they forgot to pay Steve Baker the royalties they agreed! and damaged the moulds when they borrowed them to make their tooling.

Contrary to popular belief, a rib derived from a hard boat, at least this type of hard boat, is rarely any lighter than the original, as it's much harder to build strength into what is little more than an ironing board when seen without it's tubes, the hard boat version is a huge 'box' section in comparison, some extremely light and strong Phantom 21's (the boat I think the tohatsu/solent is based on) have been produced for very high performance applications, and I don't think it would be easy at all to produce this stiffness with the sectional size of a rib hull
Old 05 October 2004, 15:43   #49

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
I don't think it would be easy at all to produce this stiffness with the sectional size of a rib hull
That might explain why some people feel the deck moving. I hadn't realy thought about how much work it does.
Old 05 October 2004, 16:50   #50

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
I didn't realise that my new Rib would be of so much interest regarding the speed,although it is very nice to have a good top end speed It wasn't the main reason for buying her.I got her for her good looks,level of spec,more room for me and the family,and her sea keeping ability,and the option to cruise at a good safe speed well within the boat capability.As regards the prop,she was set up originally for a high top end speed with the 4 blade Revolution prop with the bottom cavition plate set at about 4-5 inches from the bottom of the hull.The only problem I am getting at the moment is lack of grip when accelarating from stand still with the 3 blade prop.I have been told (buy the person who fitted her out and sea trialed her) that this will be cured by the 4 blade Revolution prop,and will also give a higher top end speed than I am getting at present.As I said previously top end speed is not the main reason for buying her,but I do intend to get her performance to the level she was intended for.I would be lying if I said I wouldn't give her a bit of teddy now and then as I love speed.(Don't we all ?)
Old 05 October 2004, 19:39   #51

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
That might explain why some people feel the deck moving. ..

Old 05 October 2004, 21:29   #52

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Rogers
The only problem I am getting at the moment is lack of grip when accelarating from stand still with the 3 blade prop.I have been told (buy the person who fitted her out and sea trialed her) that this will be cured by the 4 blade Revolution prop,and will also give a higher top end speed than I am getting at present.
Hi Wayne,

If you have a lack of grip from a standstill this could be the prop ventilating through the little holes in the hub in front of the blades. I experienced this when fitting a Lazer II to my Searider - it feels like wheelspin.

However it's easy to fix. Mercury can supply little rubber bungs to block the holes - no more ventilation and much better acceleration. AND the bungs were only 30p each - must be the cheapest Quicksilver part available!

Regards

Duncan