Old 17 July 2009, 20:14   #1

Town: Walton on thames
Boat name: Lewella
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60 yam
First Big Rib Trip

I'm hoping to take my rib down the Thames around the kent coast and down to the solent. I have been on the Thames but only as far as Tilbury and my only experience in the sea is in the solent and round the Isle of Wight.
Is there anything i would need to know about the Kent coastline or the Estuary?
Would this trip be fairly straight foward for someone with only a little experience
I'm hoping to do this with one overnight stop so if anyone could recommend a good spot to moor for the night at around the half way point.
Thanks

LJ
Old 18 July 2009, 18:35   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
It's a great trip, and one I'd definitely recommend. Given some sensible planning and a bit of decent weather there's no reason why you shouldn't do it.

Get some charts and spend some time working out your route, and paticularly where not to go. The Goodwin Sands are one obvious area to watch out for, but as with most hazards around this part of the coast they are well marked.

Ramsgate or Dover would be the obvious places to stop, with good marinas and all tide access. If you choose Dover then you'll need to coordinate with the port control via VHF to get permission to enter - it's a bit intimidating but not a problem if you're reasonably confident.

If you don't stop at Dover be aware that there can be very unpredictable sea conditions outside the harbour as the waves reflect off the harbour wall.

Once you get past Dover you are fairly committed until Brighton, so do get a decent forecast before you set off. There are bolt holes on the way, but they're not ideal.