Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Fire extinguisher question.

Out of curiosity.........

What's the most popular size of fire extinguisher for your boats? Do you have two? More? What type are they? Do you even carry one?

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2014, 20:58   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Required for a boat with built-in fuel tanks over here. I usually have a pair of 2-3/4 lb extinguishers, but used one, so am down to a single (though it's due for replacement.)

Ideally you want one rated ABC, but they can be pricey. Any is better than none. Be aware that the powder types can compact over time; get in the habit of bashing them around once every couple of months to keep the media free.

jky
Old 08 July 2014, 21:02   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
Out of curiosity.........

What's the most popular size of fire extinguisher for your boats? Do you have two? More? What type are they? Do you even carry one?

I have a Firetrace system on BP, it's a 2kg BCF type. The bottle is under the helm seat & the line runs in a duct from the seat, under the deck & into the console. It then runs around the console in the loom & around the batteries & fuel fillers. I also have a separate dry powder at the stern in a dry box on the "A" frame. If all that fails, I'll jump over the side.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 July 2014, 21:16   #4

RIBase
At the moment I have the same option 3! Just looking into getting an extinguisher so was getting a feel for size/type.

I'm thinking a 1 or 2kg powder.

Old 08 July 2014, 21:38   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovey View Post
At the moment I have the same option 3! Just looking into getting an extinguisher so was getting a feel for size/type.

I'm thinking a 1 or 2kg powder.

I'd be tempted to have 2x 1kg but put them at opposite ends of the boat. If you get a fire in the engine, use the ext. from the console & vice-versa
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 08 July 2014, 21:44   #6

RIBase
That's a good idea. Certainly worth thinking about.

What's the best way to mount them - the clip mount they come with or some other way? Covered in some way or just hosed off with the boat every time? And do you leave them on the boat or take them out when you finish? (My boat is trailered home every time so could be left on permanently)?

Old 08 July 2014, 22:00   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
A 2kg powder has a 20 sec burst and is probably overkill on a small RIB. I'd agree with Big Softy Dave about the 2x1kg. Even one is better than none and if you go this route, fitting it to be back of a pod seat is a good spot.
Old 08 July 2014, 23:09   #8
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
fitting it to be back of a pod seat is a good spot.
Do not follow this advice. It will fall apart in seconds once a droplet of sea water touches it! Consider in a locker but the trade off is lack of accessibility.

Fire extinguishers are only going to help you control a very small fire so they are useful but they really do have a limit to the amount they will help you. Seriously consider how much good a 1kg or even a 2kg fire extinguisher will be against all the fuel you have on board your boat. Probably sweet FA.

Chris
Old 08 July 2014, 23:29   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Do not follow this advice. It will fall apart in seconds once a droplet of sea water touches it! Consider in a locker but the trade off is lack of accessibility.

Fire extinguishers are only going to help you control a very small fire so they are useful but they really do have a limit to the amount they will help you. Seriously consider how much good a 1kg or even a 2kg fire extinguisher will be against all the fuel you have on board your boat. Probably sweet FA.

Chris
Believe this guff at your peril! The man patently knows not of which he speaks. That or he buys the worst tat. I've had a 1kg powder extinguisher in precisely that location over three seasons and it was looking good when I sold the rig. Giving it a clean and a quick spray of WD40 now and then might have helped too!

Same dodgy advice with the firefighting. Most fires start small. A small electrical fire in a console is easily fought. Same with a small fuel/electrics fire. Not all fuel fires are catastrophic - petrol in the open burns off surprisingly calmly - most of your fuel is stored in tanks and unlikely to suddenly burst into flame. Fires happen around engines and electronics.
Old 08 July 2014, 23:45   #10
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
I am thinking of selling these:

i have bough one light and easy to carry!

PFE Aerosol Fire Extinguishers

(Reference 72-PFE-1)

PFE Series Portable Aerosol Fire Extinguisher

This is a completely new type of fire extinguisher that is perfectly suited to the harsh marine environment. In fact, we can confidently say that these extinguishers are the best product of its type available today. Once seen, no boat owner will want a big, heavy metal unit on their boat again!

The product recently won an innovations award are Seawork 2013 and C-Quip is proud to have been awarded UK Distribution.

Description
PFE Series the world's most versatile and compact fire extinguisher. Unlike conventional portable extinguishers the PFE SERIES is very lightweight, compact (70-80% Smaller than standard equivalents), non-pressurized, environmentally safe, leaves no harmful residue and very easy to use. Ideal for Boats, Kitchens, Engine rooms, Cars, Garages, Workshop, Offices.
Fixed Automatic Extinguishing system also available for Engine Rooms, Computer Rooms, Substation and Telecom Applications.

PFE1 - 13B
PFE2 - 34B
PFE3 - 21B

Features and Benefits
- Approved by RINA, SGS and CE
- The only type of extinguisher suitable for both Liquid fuel and Electrical Fires
- B C E F Rated Extinguisher
- Replaces CO2, Powder and Foam Extinguishers with no mess or risk of suffocation
- Compact 20% size comparison
- Non Hazardous - Human Safe
- Environmentally Safe
- Non Pressurised
- No visual residue mess after use
- No Damage to engines or electronics
- Long life - 5 year warranty with no maintenance

Environmental Friendly and Agent Safety
PFE SERIES is a GREEN AGENT PRODUCT, Human Safe, Zero Ozone Depletion Potential, Zero Global Warming Potential. No by-product of agriculture or animal material used.

'A' rated (Carbon) fires have considerable retained heat that require a cooling effect best achieved by the application of water. The PFE will extinguish an A rated fire but there is a danger of re-ignition.

NB The standard for EU pressurised Fire Extinguishers is EN3. This does not apply to the PFE as it is a non-pressurised unit and as such, a completely new standard is currently being written by the BRE (Building Research Institute) to which the PFE will comply.

Price: £33.00 exc VAT for small one
Old 08 July 2014, 23:53   #11
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Believe this guff at your peril! The man patently knows not of which he speaks. That or he buys the worst tat. I've had a 1kg powder extinguisher in precisely that location over three seasons and it was looking good when I sold the rig. Giving it a clean and a quick spray of WD40 now and then might have helped too!

Same dodgy advice with the firefighting. Most fires start small. A small electrical fire in a console is easily fought. Same with a small fuel/electrics fire. Not all fuel fires are catastrophic - petrol in the open burns off surprisingly calmly - most of your fuel is stored in tanks and unlikely to suddenly burst into flame. Fires happen around engines and electronics.
Wilk,

I'm sure you buy extra special fire extinguishers that are way better than the ones I buy and you are an expert in everything.

My opinion or experience counts for nothing clearly!

CJL
Old 09 July 2014, 00:00   #12
CJL

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
I am thinking of selling these:

i have bough one light and easy to carry!

PFE Aerosol Fire Extinguishers

(Reference 72-PFE-1)

PFE Series Portable Aerosol Fire Extinguisher

This is a completely new type of fire extinguisher that is perfectly suited to the harsh marine environment. In fact, we can confidently say that these extinguishers are the best product of its type available today. Once seen, no boat owner will want a big, heavy metal unit on their boat again!

The product recently won an innovations award are Seawork 2013 and C-Quip is proud to have been awarded UK Distribution.

Description
PFE Series the world's most versatile and compact fire extinguisher. Unlike conventional portable extinguishers the PFE SERIES is very lightweight, compact (70-80% Smaller than standard equivalents), non-pressurized, environmentally safe, leaves no harmful residue and very easy to use. Ideal for Boats, Kitchens, Engine rooms, Cars, Garages, Workshop, Offices.
Fixed Automatic Extinguishing system also available for Engine Rooms, Computer Rooms, Substation and Telecom Applications.

PFE1 - 13B
PFE2 - 34B
PFE3 - 21B

Features and Benefits
- Approved by RINA, SGS and CE
- The only type of extinguisher suitable for both Liquid fuel and Electrical Fires
- B C E F Rated Extinguisher
- Replaces CO2, Powder and Foam Extinguishers with no mess or risk of suffocation
- Compact 20% size comparison
- Non Hazardous - Human Safe
- Environmentally Safe
- Non Pressurised
- No visual residue mess after use
- No Damage to engines or electronics
- Long life - 5 year warranty with no maintenance

Environmental Friendly and Agent Safety
PFE SERIES is a GREEN AGENT PRODUCT, Human Safe, Zero Ozone Depletion Potential, Zero Global Warming Potential. No by-product of agriculture or animal material used.

'A' rated (Carbon) fires have considerable retained heat that require a cooling effect best achieved by the application of water. The PFE will extinguish an A rated fire but there is a danger of re-ignition.

NB The standard for EU pressurised Fire Extinguishers is EN3. This does not apply to the PFE as it is a non-pressurised unit and as such, a completely new standard is currently being written by the BRE (Building Research Institute) to which the PFE will comply.

Price: £33.00 exc VAT for small one
What are they made of?? Plastic?? Could be a good alternative.

Chris
Old 09 July 2014, 00:03   #13
SPR

yes - plastic very light - very impressed 5 year life ! has metal safety pin to pull - then press button.

Loads of videos on YouTube

S.

www.firstaidatsea.co.uk
www.SPRmarine.co.uk
Old 09 July 2014, 00:05   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Wilk,

I'm sure you buy extra special fire extinguishers that are way better than the ones I buy and you are an expert in everything.

My opinion or experience counts for nothing clearly!

CJL
Your opinion counts as much as mine but it's not my fault you give poor advice on this subject. The positioning of a marine fire extinguisher is by the by - everything metallic eventually dies at sea - in locker or on deck. The best location for a fire extinguisher is where it can be seen and reached in an emergency. Maybe you do buy cheap tat, I don't know.

I certainly am an expert on certain subjects but I would not include fire-fighting on the list. Having said that, I have fought a number of fires over the years - engine/fuel, electrical, domestic (furnishings), gas and chimney and hold the required STCW 95 papers to have an opinion on marine fires. I am also the "Fire Officer" in my place of work so have a keen amateur interest in the subject. Your dismissal of the humble fire extinguisher as a useful tool shocked and surprised me.
Old 09 July 2014, 00:17   #15
CJL

RIBase
[QUOTE=willk;631632 I have fought a number of fires over the years - engine/fuel, electrical, domestic (furnishings), gas and chimney and hold the required STCW 95 papers to have an opinion on marine fires. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like your advice ain't working out too well!!

CJL
Old 09 July 2014, 00:28   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:

CJL
That's most comedic Chris and a good effort for so late at night. I would applaud your ability to link the location of the afore mentioned fires with my place of work, had they in fact all occurred there!

If I give the impression that I'm totally disrespecting your assessment of a small powder fire extinguisher versus an engine/fuel fire it's because I am. I've knocked one down with just that gadget. In fairness, I was surprised at how well it worked, but there it is.

OP - get a fire extinguisher and fit it somewhere you can reach it in a hurry (you WILL be in a hurry!). Trust me, they work
Old 09 July 2014, 07:29   #17

RIBase
Quote:

CJL
Quote:
If I give the impression that I'm totally disrespecting your assessment ........
Now come on you two, time for a group hug. You need understand each others position & show a little empathy & understanding. This wonderful world that we live in will be a better place for...........Feck, what am I saying Curse you Mollers for leaving that big puddle of softness right in my path
Old 09 July 2014, 08:08   #18
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Now come on you two, time for a group hug. You need understand each others position & show a little empathy & understanding. This wonderful world that we live in will be a better place for...........Feck, what am I saying Curse you Mollers for leaving that big puddle of softness right in my path
rule5: don't step in the softness puddle !
Old 09 July 2014, 08:14   #19

RIBase
Cheers guys. Having been in the Royal Navy for 22 years I know all about fires at sea, so can see both sides of your arguments. I've had ships that never suffer a fire, and ships that have two or three in a week for various reasons! I guess it's the luck of the draw, but I'd rather have an extinguisher that I don't need than not have one that I do.

I will be getting an extinguisher (or two x 1kg), but I wasn't sure which type/where best to mount for a RIB. I'm quite well versed in giving the occasional WD40 squirt to anything metallic!

Those plastic ones seem a reasonable alternative to the metal ones though.

Old 09 July 2014, 08:49   #20
SPR

if I get chance today I will add these to my online shop - mean time anybody looking email info@sprmarine.co.uk

www.firstaidatsea.co.uk
www.SPRmarine.co.uk