Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwil View Post
Been twice both times by yacht, first time anchord off and went ashore by dinghy. It was quite a tricky landing and retrieving over a 100ft of chain to leave was far tooo much exertion for one day. The second time we left some one onboard and just drifted, the rest went straight into the cave by dinghy so should be able to take a RIB straight in as if I remember correctly (it was 17 years ago) there is plenty of room.
Attached are some photo's.
Super Pics. Having been there many times when I was running sailing holidays around here, I can agree with that. Anchoring there is hard work. Much better to drift around while the explorers go in by dinghy. You need fairly calm conditions as the swell can rise up and break across the underwater spur running south from the eastern side of the cave. In the right weather I'm sure one can get right in by RIB. I've seen the trip boats get in there and land passengers in the cave.

While in the area, the Treshnish Isles are well worth the visit. Anchor off the north east shore of Lunga. If you go in spring time and climb up the hill and sit still, the puffins will sit on your feet - certainly they'll come and talk to you. Other places to visit are Acairsaid Mhor (Big Anchorage) east of Eilean Dioghlum where, on the seaward side of that island are some tremendous rocky pools. Round the corner of Gometra past Little Colonsay is Cragaig Bay (Rocky Bay?) on the south side of Ulva. Atlantic Grey seals sit on the rocky islets here and moan and sing all night. Some of the islets have miniature sandy beaches. A great place to explore. Anchor off the little cottage, but mind the rocks. There's a ruined village too.

You will need Admiralty Chart 2652 and it's well worth buying a copy of Martin Lawrence's pilot. If you're not used to this area it's worth remembering that, while there's lots of deep water, it's very easy to knock the propellor and gearbox off before your echo sounder tells you the sea's suddenly got very thin.

Sorry no pics. It was all in the days before digital.
Old 14 October 2007, 15:46   #22

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
Yes you can get a RIB into the cave. We have taken our Ribcraft 585 in a couple of times. Top tip is to reverse into the cave. Getting out is that much easier. Obviously choose a day when the sweill is not to big.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 034.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	30697  
Old 15 October 2007, 07:02   #23

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200