Old 18 September 2003, 20:51   #1

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
Finer points now!!

I have decided 90% of my RIB, just was after anyones opinion on these 2 boats. 1) Ribcraft 6.5M with 120 Hp TDi Mercruiser Sterndrive or 2) Humber 6.3M with 120HP TDi Mercruiser. I would appreciate peoples opinions on the finer points between the 2 boats. I have looked at both and thought the finish was better on the Ribcraft, the other big thing swinging me towards Ribcraft was they are a lot nearer to me. Does anyone know how the 2 boats compare in rough water? I am after a soft ride to reduce jarring as much as possible. Ribcraft also seemed keen to help me on the unusual one off's I required (full width engine box upholstered to be used as a seat also, with storage at the sides)

Cheers

Colin
Old 18 September 2003, 20:54   #2

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
I have no experience of the Ribcraft, but I can definately testify to the smooth ride of the Humber 6.3m.

My back is extreamly sensitive and the ride from the boat came befgore price as far as I was concerned when trying them out earlier this year.

Once I get the boat back feel free to come and try it. Brixham isn't that far, or we could meet half way.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2003, 22:51   #3

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Don't know about the 6.5 Ribcraft but the 6.3 Humber is much softer than my old 5.8 Ribcraft.
Check the comparative lengths of the hull. Ribcraft have a lot of tube at the back increasing the LOA without the benefit of a longer hull. I grant you, they are probably a better finish though!
Are Ribcraft actually doing a 6.5 with mercruiser 1.7 now?
Old 19 September 2003, 17:06   #4

Town: Torbay
Boat name: Marlin
Make: PBS humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 optimax!!
they do seem to have a bit more tube out the back, so I'd imagine the actual hull length is probably 10cm longer on the humber. They are offering the 6.5 as a package with the 17.TDi now. I was most impressed by their enthusiasm to help me with the engine box as this will make the boat much easier for me to board from the water. The drainage and bilge layouts seemed better as this boat is going to be kept in a marina with no cover (more excuses to use it regularly for the wife!). I've been told that a dry bilge is very important to avoid problems with this engine when kept afloat for long periods.
Old 20 September 2003, 01:01   #5

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Glad to see they now have a 6.5 with mercruiser. I would have considered it myself had it been availabe at the time. On tube length, my old 5.8 Ribcraft had 80cm of tube out the back. the Humber has 40 cm... so getting on for half a meter more hull on the Humber for the same LOA! (Of course the newer Ribcraft may be different - and they are a lot closer to you!)

Happy choosing!

Mike C