Old 21 August 2012, 22:10   #1

Town: Globe
Boat name: Floaty Weirdo
Make: 15m bigego
Length: 10m +
Engine: Ford Alternantor
Filling Transom Holes- expoxy rockwool

Had a brainwave whilst doing up my old searider. I used rockwool and expoxy, cut up into fine bits and mixed to fill my transom holes as the matt chopped was too fiddly to poke in the holes. Used as a filler for the core, then use glass matt either side, and a fine matt on top. You push the rockwool soaked in expoxy into the hole so it just compresses , then let it expand out to fill the hole. Then you have a slightly honeycomb centre, like the origional wood fill and a harder exterior glass skin. The beauty of rockwool is its glass fibre also and it can be as expandable or compact as you like depending on how fine you chop it.

got to be a good tip for someone.
Old 26 August 2012, 10:39   #2

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs View Post
Had a brainwave whilst doing up my old searider. I used rockwool and expoxy, cut up into fine bits and mixed to fill my transom holes as the matt chopped was too fiddly to poke in the holes. Used as a filler for the core, then use glass matt either side, and a fine matt on top. You push the rockwool soaked in expoxy into the hole so it just compresses , then let it expand out to fill the hole. Then you have a slightly honeycomb centre, like the origional wood fill and a harder exterior glass skin. The beauty of rockwool is its glass fibre also and it can be as expandable or compact as you like depending on how fine you chop it.

got to be a good tip for someone.
Sounds Interesting, got to do this myself so might give this a try.

Andy