Old 16 January 2008, 13:46   #41

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL View Post
I have been called on VHF by Portland Coastguard after a solo night passage from Cowes to Poole in nasty weather. It took me an hour longer than expected and they called me 30mins after my original est arrival time.
Excellent.
Old 10 February 2008, 21:39   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I call if I'm leaving a car overnight because folk around the harbour generally keep an eye open for activity and could get alarmed if I didn't return at night. I use the phone for this call so that I don't tell everyone where my car is sitting unattended. I did this one time and a few weeks later found that there had been a call to the CG for that very reason but the watch had changed and the new folk hadn't noticed the notes about me. The local part time CG (who related the story to me) had been called to check things out. They finally got it sorted and found the notes about me so all was OK.
Jeff - it seems the locals in your part of the world are indeed very attentive to cars being left for long periods: http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-pr...B1A&m=2&y=2008

I think that has convinced me that I will certainly file a plan when not planning to return to my car at the end of the day.
Old 10 February 2008, 22:05   #43

Yep, folk do look out for others. We do a similar thing here when folk go off walking in the woods.
The kayakers did well though, the Isle of May is a long paddle from North Berwick. However, I do think they should have had the foresight to let the CG know of their intentions. It was a thick fog today and they will have had to cross the shipping too. It's not so much a channel there, the ships could be anywhere. A bit scatterbrained, maybe. The island is a reserve, I wonder whether they got permission to camp.
Old 11 February 2008, 11:12   #44

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Yes, they had permission. They had also left information with their own shore contacts and with the police. The weather was clear on their outward passage, and haar not forecast.

We would have found it easier if their plan had also been left with HMCG, but overall - hard to fault them, I wish more people were as well prepared. OK, we had several lifeboats and beach rescue teams searching for them in very difficult conditions (vis about 20m) - but if there was a fault it wasn't really there's, the route to tracking back their intended plan to where they had left it didn't go as smoothly as we would have liked
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2008, 12:21   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Yes, they had permission. They had also left information with their own shore contacts and with the police. The weather was clear on their outward passage, and haar not forecast....
.....- hard to fault them, I wish more people were as well prepared.
Cool.
Old 14 February 2008, 07:55   #46

Town: Birmingham
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye 650 Sport
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150HP
MMSI: 235038283
Send a message via MSN to AndyB007
Thanks for starting this thread - it's a question I've often pondered but have only done it once (from Weymouth to Southampton in heavier-than-forecast weather).

Andy