Old 30 May 2007, 15:25   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Feeling all inflated again now

The deed is done!

Regulars will recall tales of woe with manufacturing/material faults with my tubes after a meagre 300 hours of use in the boat's life, and various failed attempts to solve the problem - I won't repeat the saga here, it is all elsewhere on RIBnet for anybody who wants to read it again but here is a quick pic of the crap gluing on the back end of the tubes to remind everybody:

But after a lot of work and a not inconsiderable wodge of money it now looks like a boat and should be airtight again - a bit of fine tuning may be needed to improve the appearance but in functional terms it should be as good as when I got it.

Firstly I got a pair of these from Paul Tilley:

which when attached to my garage compressor for a couple of minutes look like this:

Removed the end from the tube, cut 2 holes (measure, measure and measure again!) where the inflation valve used to be, and another one 30cm forward of this - I had Paul fit a set of pressure relief valves to the sausages, the original boat never had them fitted and it has always worried me on hot days in direct sunlight.

Deflate the sausage fully, stuff it up inside the tube and get it positioned in the right place. This took half a dozen attempts to get right as it tended to twist around during inflation and I had to let it down and reposition it. I also deflated the chamber in front to remove any tendency for it to push the sausage out, and then blew it up again afterwards.

Lots more air ... and bingo one inflated and airtight boat

I hadn't factored in the slight tapering of the sausages towards the seam so the last inch or so of the tube isn't completely tight but the rest of it is a good snug fit and hopefully won't move as long as there is pressure in it. May trim this back a bit to tidy it up in due course after I have been for a test run or two but I can't do too much without moving the mooring cleat which is a bit of a pain.

And on the inside of the boat it looks like this: inflation valve is in the original place.

Haven't attacked the other side yet as the original tube still holds air on that side but I have another sausage for that side if (or probably when) required.

As long as it doesn't rain I'm off for the first test this afternoon but it's looking good so far

Thanks to everybody on here for sympathy, advice, suggestions and putting up with a thousand questions. Thanks also to Paul Tilley for making the solution for me, I would recommend Paul's work to anybody who needs tube work of any sort, I just sent off the measurements and the perfect solution arrived

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 15:29   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Stephen

Congratulations, bet thats a relief after all your troubles.

Paul is the man when it comes to this sort of thing.

Nasher.
Old 30 May 2007, 16:04   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Congrats, Stephen.

Good to see you ready to head out again.

jky
Old 30 May 2007, 18:09   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Stephen

It looks good - bet your pleased, I certainly would be

Might be worth gluing a sort of seam tape around the end of the loose bit to hold it in place?
Old 30 May 2007, 19:16   #5

Back after giving it a pasting this afternoon, no sign of any movement of the sausage so it doesn't look like it needs to be glued as long as it is inflated fairly hard. Not sure what I am going to do with the slightly flappy bit, I will think about it for a while. I could glue around the end but I quite like the idea of being able to pull the sausage out in 2 min and take it in and repair it in a nice warm house, if I do happen to get a puncture in the aft chamber. It took me about five hours to get the Sikaflex out of the end of the tube so it didn't chafe on the sausage, so I'm in no hurry to do THAT again. I've also got to tidy up the end of the rubbing strake as it looks a bit rough at the moment, and I might glue a wider bit of black fabric onto the sausage so it looks like it continues right to the end of the cone.

Well and truly chuffed with the outcome hopefully I will have a bit of a break now before stuff goes wrong (hastily grabs for nearest piece of wood)

B*gger me its cold out on the South Atlantic at this time of year though air temp today was 8*C on land but I fancy it was a bit nippier than that on the water... the sooner my flotation suit gets here the better...

The next job is fitting the stainless steel mast for aerial & nav lights that a kind RIBnetter very generously gave to me - thank you Tony

Old 30 May 2007, 20:18   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
That's a bloody good fit for distance engineering. Well done you for accurate measuring and very well done Paul for making it spot on.

Quote:
Not sure what I am going to do with the slightly flappy bit, I will think about it for a while.
How about a bit of velcro inside the edge?
Old 30 May 2007, 20:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
How about a bit of velcro inside the edge?
The appearance of the visible part is one issue; the other issue is whether or not the flappy trailing edge will fray where it is being battered by the water on the underside of the tube. I suspect it won't be a big problem, but I will have to keep an eye on it. Gluing would be the answer but if I ever open another tin of 2 part glue it will be 20 billion years too soon

Old 31 May 2007, 01:25   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Don't go near any glue ever again - please!!!

Looks great - usual Tilley craftsmanship.

Just one question - as they seem to be quite large why didn't you get them made a bit longer with a rounded bit at the front to join them together???
Old 31 May 2007, 02:13   #9

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Looking good..

Good to see you have your problems sorted out, few things suck as much as a leaky rib. The exception of course being those individuals foolish enough to constantly tinker with their boat, I qualify in that regard. As to the loose fit at the stern, might some silicone sealant be used as a temporary/removable bond? Sticks good enough to hold, yet not so much so as not to be removable.
Old 31 May 2007, 02:46   #10

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Just one question - as they seem to be quite large why didn't you get them made a bit longer with a rounded bit at the front to join them together???
That's what I was wondering. Is it difficult to remove the tube on one of these? Why didn't you just get an entirely new tube?

I suppose the one good thing about having these sausages, is that when you want a bigger boat, you can just slide them back few feet and voila!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 16:56   #11

Quote:
Don't go near any glue ever again - please!!!

Looks great - usual Tilley craftsmanship.

The answer to the question in your 3rd paragraph lies with the fact I want to go along with the advice in your 1st paragraph

Briefly though:

1) I hate gluing and never want to do any again. It is a fiddly, irritating and frustrating job, I have no patience with fiddly, irritating and frustrating jobs and I know when it is best to leave it to somebody who knows what they are doing!

2) There is nobody here who is likely to be any better at retubing than I am (which is bad news, see 1) for some of the reasons)

3) I have nowhere I can fit a whole boat under cover and heated to the optimum temperature for the glue to cure and it is too cold for most of the year to think about doing it outside - global warming is a myth and only exists in the northern hemisphere!!

4) If I tear all the old tubes off the boat and then can't fix it then I am really b&ggered and the whole thing would be scrap value only.

5) A new set of tubes was cheaper than I expected but still 3x the cost of the sausages

6) This has other advantages in being able to remove them from the boat and repair them indoors, as well as being stronger (probably) - double thickness of fabric = built in wear patch right where it matters

The sausages only do the aft chambers so less than half the length of the boat - they are about 1.75m long.

If I ever bought another RIB I'd give serious consideration to something that had removable tubes that can be changed out as a DIY job but I think only Zodiac offer that and they are expensive and not really what I want. I just wish Osprey made a Vipermax with removable tubes because then the decision would be easy! But for now this should keep me in the water for a good while I hope - in another 12 to 18 months I might be in a position to think about a new boat again.

Old 31 May 2007, 17:11   #12

Yes I see what you mean.

I am useless at anything "free hand" or creative. I love working on lathes and engines etc but I detest anything that has to be made to fit. i will happily take apart a gearbox and yet a door trim panel or a headlining makes my blood boil - they just aren't engineered!!!

I should imagine if I went anywhere near my RIB with glue I would get most of it over me. I would then end up with the world's first hairy RIB..........
Old 01 June 2007, 03:01   #13

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Cod is Us......

Quote:
Yes I see what you mean.

I am useless at anything "free hand" or creative. I love working on lathes and engines etc but I detest anything that has to be made to fit. i will happily take apart a gearbox and yet a door trim panel or a headlining makes my blood boil - they just aren't engineered!!!

I should imagine if I went anywhere near my RIB with glue I would get most of it over me. I would then end up with the world's first hairy RIB..........
Cod... does your post then suggest that Welshman most probably have genetic characteristics (hairy) of Neanderthal? This of course would necessarily guarantee that you are actually part "Yank!"
Old 01 June 2007, 04:04   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Hairy RIBs??? Hairy Yanks???

This guy might be a Yank, though more likley a REB, yet certainly has no RIBs that can be seen.

Old 01 June 2007, 11:50   #15

Looks like he has left most of his hair on his RIB......
Old 01 June 2007, 13:47   #16

Town: Poole
Make: Aquaflyte
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc 90 2Str
Nice one Stephen

Just to echo everyone else's sentiments. Good to see your boat back on the water - new you'd be pleased with Paul's workmanship

Hopefully you won't have too much of a problem with the other side, but good to know that you have a spare. As to the flappy end is is possible to make some small (say 1") long cuts into the fabric at regular intervals around the open end to allow it to overlap and hence lay flat (rather than wrinkle up). Then you could use some Sikaflex to bond the end flaps onto the sausage. This would also act as a deterrent to stop the sausage from falling out the end.

Hope I've explained what I mean well enough !

Andrew
Old 02 June 2007, 16:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Hopefully you won't have too much of a problem with the other side, but good to know that you have a spare. As to the flappy end is is possible to make some small (say 1") long cuts into the fabric at regular intervals around the open end to allow it to overlap and hence lay flat (rather than wrinkle up). Then you could use some Sikaflex to bond the end flaps onto the sausage. This would also act as a deterrent to stop the sausage from falling out the end.

Hope I've explained what I mean well enough !

Andrew
I think it will fail exactly the same on the other side in due course as the seam on the other side shows slight signs of distress - the cause of the failure was down to the design and construction of the seam (it was untaped on the inside and looks like it started lifting from the inside first, some time ago) and some sort of problem with material delamination so it seems probable that it will affect that side too. But I'm prepared now and can fix it in half an afternoon so it doesn't really matter

After a good beating in some choppy water the sausage shows no signs of any movement. I actually got the idea from somebody else here who did something similar with an old rib a few years ago and he has never had any problems since.

I see what you mean about the end and that is one idea I may consider in due course - thanks

Old 03 June 2007, 10:56   #18

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
I should imagine if I went anywhere near my RIB with glue I would get most of it over me. I would then end up with the world's first hairy RIB......- codders

I knew it.You were useless at Chemistry when you were a kid. Chemistry is the fundamental science that EVERYTHING revolves around.

Stephen congrats on the rib job.

Jonathan
Old 03 June 2007, 11:27   #19
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa View Post

I knew it.You were useless at Chemistry when you were a kid. Chemistry is the fundamental science that EVERYTHING revolves around.
Nah....without physics it can't revolve

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote