Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 December 2003, 09:56   #101

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Seb I had the same problem when I bought mine as the markings had gone. Nev or JW gave the name and phone number of someone in Plymouth a few posts back who has cheap props, give him a ring. The standard prop is 16.75 x 21". Suggest you have one of these and keep the present prop as a spare when its repaired. New from Lancing they are £300 (incl the VAT).

Nev did try a 23" but it was a bit tall. Better to a have a useable prop of 21" which gives 26 / 27 knots than over prop the boat loss the aceleration and strain the engine. 26 knots with good exceleration is much more fun to drive than 29 knots and desperately slow exceleration.

The trim tab on the back of the boat is for correcting the touque from a single prop but with hydraulic steering you shouldn't need it. If the boat is running down one side at speed either you have lots of weight in one side or a huge great big prop. Get rid of it. Once you have the correct size you can play with the trim tab but normally you need cable steering to feel the pull, might be a tad difficult to feel how much to adjust it with hydraulic steering.

Nev, brilliant way of getting a prop off,
Pete
Old 02 December 2003, 11:57   #102

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
Seb, also you might want to check your tacho if fitted and see what rpm the engine is doing with that prop on it flat out. these engines should be set at a max of 2600 rpm wide open throttle, a few that ive come across have been set to far less or far more. if the engine is going at say 2800 rpm the boat will be going faster, and it wont be too good for the engine.
Old 22 December 2003, 16:23   #103
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
Sternpowr

Finally! Got some spare time today so ive got round to attempting to change the oil in the drive leg.

However, no joy! The vent on the top of the leg refuses to undo and ive broken numerous tools trying to do so.

Has anybody had this trouble before and if so, how do you overcome the problem?

Cheers,

SEB
Old 22 December 2003, 19:02   #104

Seb,

Do you mean the one on the top of the leg, or the one on the side next to the round disc?

The one on the side just tells you the level. So you would normally drop the oil out of the one at the bottom, behind the prop, then fill it through the one on the top till it comes out of the hole on the side. (level plug).

If the one on the top is stuck the easiest way to unstick it is with some heat applied by a blowtorch (a cheap one from B & Q will do the trick). If it still doesnt come off you will have to try alternative ways such as welding something on it or drilling it out - both of which are workshop jobs. Remember to use tools that fit correctly as it is easy to round & crack the square plug on the top.

It probably will come off with some heat, remember it will burn the paint though.

If the one on the side is stuck, just try the one next to it.

Good luck!
Old 22 December 2003, 20:00   #105
Seb

Sternpowr

Thanks for that Neville.

Didnt realise that there was a level plug- did you say that this is next to the disc on the side?

I was told that you fill it from the base untill it comes out of the top plug but this is obviously wrong. Oh the wonderful world of Pacific 22's!

What is the disc/plate for?

Cheers,

SEB
Old 23 December 2003, 08:10   #106

Seb, have a chat with Lancing Marine, they do manuals for Stern drives and Mermaid for a Ford Engine manual.

Pete

http://www.lancingmarine.com/

http://www.mermaid-marine.co.uk/home.htm
Old 15 January 2004, 14:43   #107
Seb

Actually Halmatic???

Have recently heard that a batch of 1991 model MoD Halmatic RIBs were not actually built by Halmatic but by a company called Victoria Marine as they put in a cheaper quote for the build.

Does anybody know any more about this as i also heard that the boats Victoria Marine supplied were of inferior quality and the MoD were nor impressed. Needless to say, Halmatic have done all the building ever since!

Think mines a 1991 boat but everything on it seems bomb proof!

Cheers,

SEB
Old 15 January 2004, 19:35   #108

seb. you are right. they have slight differences. the wiring is slightly different, some of the hatches are a few mm different in size.

however i have had a couple and i think that the layup was neater , and as i remember some of the other finishing ie woodwork was better.

however i still have not seen a p22 that was made in that era in excellent condition, whether it be a victoria or halmatic, apart from ones that have been refurbished. 13 yrs of use does wear them out a bit! although 13 years does not sound like alot of time, they generally have had either 1 or 2 complete refits buy the navy in that time.

hope you are getting on with yours ok...... oh, there was another company who made a few , the name escapes me..
Old 15 January 2004, 21:01   #109
Seb

Actually Halmatic???

Cheers Neville - i was a bit worried when i heard that the MoD were not happy with the boats. Thought that they may have some major defects although i cant find anything on mine! (Touch wood)

Seems strange how a Halmatic boat was built by somebody else though. I assume that they took a cut of the profit for privilages?

Mines due to get wet again in the next few days so hopefully i can keep the prop in tact this time. I have to be fair though, for 13 years old, my boats in very respectable order. I guess its either extremely well built or had a bit of a quiet life?!

Ill make up for it now this season though unless i get an offer i cant refuse!

Cheers
Old 15 January 2004, 21:38   #110

Town: Herne Bay
Boat name: Rotary Rescue
Make: Pacific 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mermaid 160
MMSI: 235021725
pac22

where did you both get your pacs from? disposal bods or found by private sale.
Old 15 January 2004, 23:31   #111

Paul, I have bought them for my business over the years straight from the mod or mod surplus contractors. Indeed they have a p22 , an arctc 22 and some searider 5.4s for sale today...... they are all quite shagged though!
Old 16 January 2004, 07:40   #112
Seb

For Sale

Paul, if your interested mine could be for sale as long as the price is right! If youd like a look or demo, just let me know.

Cheers
Old 16 January 2004, 07:40   #113

Paul if you are after a project

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2453199924

They have an engine and stern drive as well.

Seb, stop worrying about that boat and just use it. Remember they are big solid boats that will bring you home through the worst conditions and best of all they run on that magical red stuff.

My only concern is the number that are being exported

Pete
Old 16 January 2004, 07:46   #114

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Paul,
Have at look at Babcock Disposals , they are one of the agent for MoD disposals.
Andy
Old 16 January 2004, 13:41   #115

Nev, did you know there seems to be a tappered shaft option for stern power? wonder if this is the Michigan prop option ?

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F25778

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F25780

There is a B&W gearbox and upper stern drive as well if your interested.

Pete
Old 16 January 2004, 17:27   #116

pac22

Thanks for all the info, still doing the home work at present.
Have seen babcocks lot, they dont stay long there and you have to be quick. Seen the one on ebay its also on boats and outboards.As soon as we have the funds (sea cadets) will go shopping. Just for info the reason behind a pac22 is that the sea cadets are restricted to 75hp outboards on ribs,but not restricted on inboards and we are after a large rib that will take some stick and i know that the pac22 will do that
Old 16 January 2004, 17:29   #117

consul

Looking at all the photos, you have done a magic job with that consul.
Old 16 January 2004, 19:50   #118

Paul, thank you. As I said at the time it was a thankless task in the depths of winter which really tested determination. However if you wanted to do something similar then you have an "army" at your disposal for all the work.

Good choice of boat for the Sea Cadets. Halmatic rate the boat for 15 pers and the surveyor passed mine with a stability test for nine people in it. Thankfully its that red stuff to make it go and its all simple mechnical stuff which makes for DIY servicing.

Good luck with your shopping trip.

Pete
Old 29 August 2004, 22:08   #119

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Ring the changes

Pete,

I was just wondering whether you had any thoughts about the console now that it's well settled in.

(e.g. would you do anything differently if tackling it again?)

Missus
Old 29 August 2004, 22:23   #120

Rubbish you brought this thread up just to take the heat off your "holiday thread"

However to anwser your question, 18 months on, no its an ideal size to hold all the bits, 4 batteries, fridge/freezer (I joke not) etc. Think Tue will find the same with his new console. Windscreen to follow this winter after a week up in Oban looking at Puffin Divers ribs, (big 11m Redbays with huge console, screen and soft cover for the driver brilliant even at the expense of room for the divers).

Would I do anything differently, yes the wiring, each wire was labelled with sticky labels but they all fell off causing lots of grief as the wiring is all HD grey stuff. Chris and the FGT have shown now how it should be done, not how most of the builders do it unfortunately would I do it again, well wonder what a P22 would look like with a cabin ?

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pacific Cabin.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	7763