Old 24 September 2002, 18:33   #1
Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools

After Charles little incident last week and my post about Distress calls via DSC I was asked to post some further info.

I have decided to add this as a "FAQ" on my website - I've also added a link to some further info on the MCA site and to a DSC simulator that you can download from ICOM

As always I welcome your comments - and subject for future FAQ's

so have a look at

jools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2002, 01:20   #2
Town: Highlands
Boat name: Quicksilver
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15hp
Hi Jools

Haven't you sold the TomKat yet then?

Keith (just curious) Hart

Small boat - BIG truck
Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2002, 01:44   #3
Town: Berkshire and Devon
Make: Lodestar
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 5hp

Another FAQ which may be useful to host on your site is the SOLAS V regs which the MCA quietly sneaked in this summer.

This is the link to the leaflet:

- as you can see, there's now a requirement for ALL craft to carry radar reflectors, amongst other things!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2002, 03:59   #4
Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250

Great few words about DSC. I know there is loads more that could be said, but 2 things i allways tell people about when they ask is:

1) Coastguard will not continue to exclusively monitor ch 16 from 2005 (best to check date)

2) Without the NMEA link to a GPS the position transmitted can be misleading since it transmitts the last known position, since this is entered on the keypad it is lilely to be some time (and therefore distance in a RIB) ago. This is of particular relevence to people who are considering a handheld DSC, where it is unlikely (although posiable) to link into a GPS.

Just suggestions, hope you won't mind a few more if i think of them.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2002, 04:43   #5
Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
DSC - GPS Update

From memory big ship DSC's are set with an alarm that goes off every four hours for a position update if the GPS signal is not attached / recieved. SOLAS (not sure what latest version says) use to say it had to be updated every four hours minimum.
This can really annoy the marine crew - well on some boats must disturb the sleep
I'm not sure on leisure market units, I have always found the guys on Icom's service desk to be really helpful.
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2002, 05:26   #6
Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Most Leisure DSC sets AFAIK also have a "lost GPS input" alarm - certainly the Simrad RD68 does. Its absolutely correct to say that to gain maximum benefit from a DSC radio a GPS input should be wired in. The SIMRAD DSC handheld can be supplied with a recharging/interface cradle that provides the GPS input. Whilst I suspect this is not terribly waterproof it could be mounted inside a console/locker so that in the event of it being needed one can grab the handheld out of the cradle and will still have the position as per 10 seconds ago which should be OK!

There is also the debate as to whether one should have a fixed VHF vs a handheld. My advice would be always to go for a fixed VHF and decent antennae for best range and power. Handhelds discharge too quickly for my liking. They are very useful as back ups, particularly in the case of total power failure. Thats why I've got two of 'em!!

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote