Old 22 April 2004, 19:51   #21

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
If you want a 'phantasy' rib, without losing sight of what a rib is or for, it's a bit of a cop out if you start adding luxuries.

Once you start adding the teasmade, it's like saying you drive an off-roader, but in reality you drive a (new shape) range rover on the school run.

How about a pair of those verado's hung off the back? Or maybe something with an arneson drive, and just maybe, a turbine. That'd convert even me.
Old 22 April 2004, 19:59   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat
Even the 2.8 was good.
2.8 what?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2004, 20:28   #23

The 2.8, straight six, rover sd1
Old 22 April 2004, 22:33   #24

Town: Chula Vista, CA
Boat name: T.A.P.O.A.F.O.M.
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Retractable knobby tires.

Old 22 April 2004, 22:47   #25

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
The 2.8, straight six, rover sd1
sorry you are getting a bit confused - it was the 2.6 - very smooth engine - had a bit of a reputation for snapping cam belts but it was one of the first belt driven mass market engines and people weren't used to them - mine did 150,000 miles with no probs and you could stand a 50p piece on it when running it was so smooth! The V8 was quite a bit faster and a lot thirstier though!
Old 22 April 2004, 22:51   #26

And to get back on the subject - talking of gas turbines another advantage is they will happily run on red diesel.........

http://www.gas-turbines.com/

Have a look at this - the blokes gas turbine speedboat is really funny - there are some great vids to download - as long as you have broadband that is.
Old 23 April 2004, 08:08   #27

I thought the 2.8 was just an overbored 2.6, same block?
I'm sure you are right, it's been a long while since I saw one, let alone poked my head under the bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
sorry you are getting a bit confused - it was the 2.6 - very smooth engine - had a bit of a reputation for snapping cam belts but it was one of the first belt driven mass market engines and people weren't used to them - mine did 150,000 miles with no probs and you could stand a 50p piece on it when running it was so smooth! The V8 was quite a bit faster and a lot thirstier though!
Old 23 April 2004, 08:27   #28

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Firstly it was an SD1 not SDI

!
Some of the early metallic finish SD1 (SDI was a typo but look right on the page) had really bad corrosion problems and the paint dropped off faster than you could spray it on, but I agree they were great cars and in a lot of ways ahead of there time. However the point I was making was that there is no reason why products should not last, I know the marine environment is harsh but good design and materials should make a product last. I think that a lot of marine manufactures cut too many corners to save money without regard for the long term performance. The fist mike on my Silva has steel screws, they rusted I asked for new ones, they sent more steel screws. The difference in cost between steel and stainless steel screws at wholesale prices 1p maybe 2p. I know ever penny count but this is stupid.
Old 23 April 2004, 08:42   #29

Sorry, long reply.
I got in touch with him (Mark Nye, www.gas-turbines.com) last year when I was looking for a project.

To build an engine (no outdrive or other boaty bits) with a T58 turbine (Rolls Royce Gnome, 1200shp), using Mark Nye's conversion components and a UK sourced engine and reduction gearbox works out over 20K. If you had your own machine shop to built a lot of the items and could do the gearbox modifications yourself, then the cost comes down quite a lot.

To build a boat with a T63 engine (317shp) is much much lower, but last time I checked, there was only 1 in the country available, it was 7K, without documentation. The trouble, I believe, with a T63 is that it's quite a complex, and very lightweight design. It's a good engine, but won't stand up to abuse as well as some engines. (FOD, hot starting, etc)

There is 1 more engine I found, it's a russian copy of the T63 callled an Isotov GTD350 (400shp). Similar configuration, but in true russian style, very basic engineering. And since some of them were manufacturted in Poland for use in the Mil MiH2 helicopter, there are a reasonable number of them for sale for not much money, often with certification and very low hours too. There's one that pops up on ebay occasionally, the guy was wanting in the region of 2.5K for it I seem to remember. There's also at least a couple for sale in germany at the moment for similar money.

I've been told the trouble with diesel is that the sulphur in it can erode the turbine blades. But lots of people seem to do it so there must be a way around it, or maybe some engines use different materials and aren't susceptible. Not sure really.

M

Quote:
And to get back on the subject - talking of gas turbines another advantage is they will happily run on red diesel.........

http://www.gas-turbines.com/

Have a look at this - the blokes gas turbine speedboat is really funny - there are some great vids to download - as long as you have broadband that is.
Old 23 April 2004, 08:46   #30

Turbine outboard anyone?
Allison T63 running on a mercury mid & lower.

Also, more T63's in boats with some good vids too:
http://www.turbineboat.com
Old 23 April 2004, 11:14   #31

[QUOTE=MadMat]Sorry, long reply.

I've been told the trouble with diesel is that the sulphur in it can erode the turbine blades. But lots of people seem to do it so there must be a way around it, or maybe some engines use different materials and aren't susceptible. Not sure really.

Modern diesel is shit and very low sulphur - having said that you would be better off using central heating oil which is dirt cheap and is the same as Jet fuel anyway.

All interesting stuff - have toyed with the idea of turbines for a while now - time is the prob - I have all the machinery....

Was almost temted the other day with a nice turbojet off ebay - would have been great bolted between an A frame - sod gears and props etc - straight thrust should have got it flying!!!!
Old 23 April 2004, 11:22   #32

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
[QUOTE=codprawn]
Quote:
Sorry, long reply.

Was almost temted the other day with a nice turbojet off ebay - would have been great bolted between an A frame - sod gears and props etc - straight thrust should have got it flying!!!!
Search the joke thread for "Darwin Awards" and see waht happened to a guy who did this with a car.
Old 23 April 2004, 12:09   #33

Somewhere in the country there's a milkfloat with a turbojet on it.

Quote: