Old 29 May 2013, 16:18   #21

Town: Malmesbury
Boat name: Wheres Dorris
Make: OCEAN
Length: 6m +
Engine: EVINRUDE ETEC 150 G1
Thank you for all the hints and tips guys, it has changed a fair amount of what I was thinking.

First one is tethering. I do not plan to tether, but will have a harness on under the life jackets, which will remain foam. I initially thought putting them on the (now know as) suicide seat would be good as I could keep an eye on them all, but will change the plan and look to go for a bench seat arrangement at the back.

It wont just be family based rib fun going on, but having the incentive to go more steady to start with wont be a bad thing. I have seen and got into plenty of trouble at 8 knts so taking a steady approach to it is going to be no bad thing.

I've done some training already, but like with a driving license it is enough to get me to a point where I recon I can start learning.

Cruising will initially be south coast based and I did think about a bit of time on the Severn from Portishead, which is only about 40 mins away from me.
Old 29 May 2013, 21:06   #22
PUP

Town: Devon
Boat name: Camira
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha
MMSI: 235085732
Takson,

Having owned 2 Ribeyes in the last 7 years, firstly i would say that adverse comments about Ribeye quality certainly aren't valid since 2007; remember that Ribeye bashing is a popular sport here on Ribnet!

Turning to the main issue, the configuration of Ribeyes, specifically the combination of a low bench seat, jockey seats and a suicide seat, gives all the flexibility you need for kids of all ages and for a wide range of conditions. Other makes with a similar configuration are much the same, e.g Cobra. Whilst your kids are a little younger now than mine were when we started ribbing, I think the key issues will be where the boat will be used and how often you'll get usable conditions given your young passengers.

Good luck with the research!

PUP

Tags
rib