Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Family Boating Location

I am trying to plan a summer holiday for the family this year, and taking the boat away with us as well.

I am after any advice about locations, the only way I will get everyone out is if we are on a lake - they wont go out to sea I am also not bothered about the speed limits, as they wont go faster than a walking pace.

My ideal place would be a remote country lake side cottage with a private slip and jetty - so the boat could be launched when we arrive and stay on the water for the whole visit.

I am open to the idea's of static caravans as well, but the winning point would be the boat launching and jetty

Anyone know of anywhere like this?
Old 12 November 2013, 08:33   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Geographic limits? ie. how long will you tow for...
What about a Scottish sea loch if its sheltered and you can't actually see 'open ocean'?
Budget?
No of people?
Old 12 November 2013, 08:40   #3

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
we have stayed on this site on Loch Lomond a few times, worth a look

Log Cabins Loch Lomond Rowardennan Lodges Scotland
Old 12 November 2013, 08:50   #4

RIBase
Good point Poly, we are in Manchester and would like to stay as close as possible - but for the right place travel would be OK.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2013, 08:54   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
Anyone know of anywhere like this?
Lancs. Hmmm.

1. Liverpool-Belfast ferry
2. 1.5 hour drive to Lough Erne system - (Fermanagh)
3. Huge range of camping/caravan/cabin/hotel options
4. Two enormous lakes, hundreds of islands and jettys - no speed limits!
5. Access into the Shannon system via canal.
6. Close to Atlantic and beaches. Easy launching at Mullaghmore.
7. Compared to the Bigger Island, it's very quiet and they almost speak English.
Old 12 November 2013, 09:12   #6

RIBase
Been told Windermere is the water they want to explore....
Old 12 November 2013, 09:22   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Old 12 November 2013, 09:23   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Good point Poly, we are in Manchester and would like to stay as close as possible - but for the right place travel would be OK.
Steve, you didn't give a budget or number of people.

Lakes - I did stay somewhere in the lakes that meets your description I'll see if I can dig out the details.

Scotland - For a boat your size you need a pretty big Loch to justify it. I think in terms of inland lochs that will probably limit you to:

- Loch Awe, Loch Lomond, Loch Tay, and Loch Ness.

Awe is popular with the angling community, but I've never taken a boat there. it just doesn't make sense when the whole of the west coast is so close. There will be loch side lodges etc.

Loch Lomond is big, but in Scottish terms quite busy... ...for another wee while in the car you can do better. That said there are places to stay with on-water facilities and its proximity to Glasgow, Stirling etc mean that if the family are not as keen on the boat as you then there will be alternatives to amuse them even if the weather is poor.

Loch Tay - someone recently posted here to say they had just taken on the management of the watersports centre - I assume this is the facility at the caravan/chalet park. I think you could spend a week there - but then you would have completely 'done' it. I am being slightly unfair and people do go back every year, and there are things to do off the water too - but I've always felt the geography of Loch Tay didn't lend itself to adventures on the water - although its fine for playing around in.

Loch Ness - with the connected canal system. For what you describe I think it is too long a trip to justify - not that there is anything wrong with the Loch or the inevitable tourist stuff around the area but you'll have passed several equally credible alternatives to get there.

However, if my leading question about sea lochs peaked your interest then I have an amazing little gem for you. Inevitably that means it is not cheap. The fact it is a little out the way means it is pretty quiet. BUT it is a good 2.5 hrs beyond Glasgow... so you need to be keen. Its in a picturesque part of the world but if the family are looking for amusement parks or organised entertainment then they need to look elsewhere. If this appeals then there are various properties which match depending on budget, no's, quality, etc http://goo.gl/maps/Ej9uv
Old 12 November 2013, 09:29   #9

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
If you only want to holiday in England ribbing on fresh lake then the Lake District is your only choice as far as I am aware Steve.
Old 12 November 2013, 09:30   #10

RIBase
I know. Really liked the look of that place wilk
Old 12 November 2013, 09:42   #11

RIBase
Ok to add more information,

6 adults - various ages and limited boating experience across most of them and 1 teenager.

Accommodation anything goes that will fit us all in, even if the teenager is on a camp bed. We are open to a static caravan, lodge or anything - but self catering is the way we want to go.

It looks Lake District is the only place the majority of people want to go.. and yeah with a 6.5Mtr its going to be a little overkill.

But a place with a jetty so we don't have to keep launching and recovering is the main key, I would even settle for a mooring.

The main thing is getting them out on the water and enjoying it.
Old 12 November 2013, 10:20   #12

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Self Catering Cottages Scotland, Loch Lomond Accommodation Steve take a look at this place there's everything you are looking for i've stayed here about 4 times now with all the family & planning another trip up there next year, there's lots to do & only a 4hr drive at the most- private parking for you're car & trailer, you're 6+boat won't be over kill there the loch is about 24miles long & lots of islands to visit it's a great place if you want you're boat at hand!!just 25yards from you're cottage
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2013, 10:46   #13

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
Hi SteveHall, I have been to the lake Windermere every year for the last 8. With a boat I love it.

positives; SAFE (I have a three year old) easy, beautiful scenery, plenty to do visit, good fishing, public jetties. low speed water sports knee boarding, wake boarding, kids ski ing

negatives; 10 knot speed limit that is policed.

if monies no object (I'm saving up for to stay here for my 50th Birthday!)
The Osprey, Luxury self catering boathouse Lake Windermere, luxury self catering boat house Lake Windermere with private mooring

on a smaller budget

Hill of Oaks Caravan and lodge Park in the Lake District - Windermere where I stay each year, 2 slips, 3 jetties, but hurry it gets booked up real quick!
Old 12 November 2013, 11:09   #14

RIBase
XS thanks for that info. Can you keep the boat on the water at the 'budget' place
Old 12 November 2013, 11:16   #15

Town: yeovil
Boat name: Lilly of lyme
Make: XS
Engine: 30hp Yamaha
I think technically No according to the site rules

But for the last 8 years people do leave their boats on the jettie 24/7.

I did this year for 1st time no issues
Old 12 November 2013, 14:18   #16

Length: 7m +
How about your own private island in the middle of Poole Harbour, Jetty, accomodation, beauty spots for walks, few mins from Poole Quay. Not a lake but poole harbour very sheltered.

Round Island Cottages - Holiday on your own private island in Poole Harbour
Old 12 November 2013, 18:30   #17

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I have spent far too much time on Windermere over the years, but mostly staying on the boat or as kids camping/caravaning round the lake. FWIW, here are my suggestions.

Windermere Marina Village. Nice quality accommodation, own slipway, boat can be left on jetty for the whole of your stay and its within easy walking distance of Bowness. However its eye wateringly expensive, even with the discount for the berth you get when staying on site its still going to cost you £300+ just to launch and berth the boat, but its still the best option on the lake by far.

Fallbarrow Park. Nice site with static caravans and lodges, walking distance to Bowness and lots of facilities on site. Boat launching and storage available but you have to recover each day. Still an expensive option and the units are fairly close together.

White Cross Bay. As above but further away from Bowness. Slipway is very very shallow gradient (Its the old flying boat ramp) I would suggest pushing the boat in rather than using the car.

Hill Of Oaks. Mainly a static and caravan park, they have a couple of self catering lodges (1 right in front of the slipway and really nice) but I pretty sure they are too small for your party.

There is also a few hotels with jetties (Watersdge, Old England, Lakeside,Low Wood etc) but these are going to cost a serious amount for a couple of weeks.

There are also a few holiday lets available via the national trust, but be aware they REALLY dont like boats with engines over 5hp.

Another option would be to use 1 of the holiday moorings available through the wardens at ferry nab. They are available by the day or week and they have about 20 covering all areas of the lake, it would be mean faffing around with a tender but it would give you more choice of accommodation that's not directly on the lake. If you do go for this option, book the mooring early, they fill up quickly over the holidays.
Old 12 November 2013, 20:59   #18

Town: arran
Boat name: 3 boats
Make: 3 boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: all
You could come and visit loch Tay? Must agree for an experienced ribster not overly challenging however with family it's a beautiful place with enough waterside eateries, hamlets and ruins to keep it interesting enough for a week. Options for accommodation with water based facilities are Taymouth marina (ourselves) I operate the marina and watersports, accommodation has different operator however we can always do a good deal for a rib.net member. One of the accommodation options here is the lockside cottage. Your other options are keep the boat here and stay at the mains of Taymouth caravan park about half a mile down the road. Or there are lodges with water access at the other End of the loch highland lodges.
Old 12 November 2013, 21:10   #19

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
You could come and visit loch Tay? Must agree for an experienced ribster not overly challenging however with family it's a beautiful place with enough waterside eateries, hamlets and ruins to keep it interesting enough for a week. Options for accommodation with water based facilities are Taymouth marina (ourselves) I operate the marina and watersports, accommodation has different operator however we can always do a good deal for a rib.net member. One of the accommodation options here is the lockside cottage. Your other options are keep the boat here and stay at the mains of Taymouth caravan park about half a mile down the road. Or there are lodges with water access at the other End of the loch highland lodges.
We stayed in the Loch Tay lodges for a week a couple of years ago, its a stunning location and the water was fantastic.
Old 12 November 2013, 21:15   #20
RIBnet Supporter

For those who read this thread in the future:

Lough Erne system:

38 miles long
133 square Km
154 Islands
No speed limits (except in connecting river)
Links to Shannon system