Old 14 September 2008, 21:42   #21

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Me niether , didn't get the new boat on the water until yesterday and with the prospect of oiled up plugs while running in on double oil and the crowds in Falmouth I though I had better stay local .

Those props are a bit slow Bob you missed the second and third day of summer
Old 15 September 2008, 13:51   #22

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
We were there too!

The start sequence was a bit confusing wasn't it! We heard a rumour that Sedov was banned from coming into Falmouth due to the political situation with Georgia which might explain the rather confusing exchange between them and race control on the VHF, basically sneaking them into the pack at the start without them taking part in the official convoy!

Talking of radio conversations... The radio discipline was 'interesting' wasn't it! We had what were presumably handheld radios going off in people's pockets so channel 16 was being held open for long periods at a time while we were treated to the background noise of someone's engine puttering along, singing, children screaming oh and a hilarious exchange between two boats where one party was trying to tell the other party what channel to change to for a good 15 minutes whilst other boats attempted to relay the information out of frustration!
Old 15 September 2008, 15:57   #23

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post
We were there too!

Talking of radio conversations... The radio discipline was 'interesting' wasn't it! We had what were presumably handheld radios going off in people's pockets so channel 16 was being held open for long periods at a time while we were treated to the background noise of someone's engine puttering along, singing, children screaming oh and a hilarious exchange between two boats where one party was trying to tell the other party what channel to change to for a good 15 minutes whilst other boats attempted to relay the information out of frustration!

Added to that the Coastguard 'work to rule'. Fal were only handling emergency traffic.
Old 15 September 2008, 19:05   #24

Town: The West End, Penryn.
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury 100
My wife and I had a great afternoon in Falmouth Bay on Saturday, we had the Sedov all to ourselves for about half an hour, it made my day that a proper Tall Ship was able to come; I went aboard it in the Docks about 8 years ago when she visited on her own, conditions onboard were "authentic" to say the least.
I had also heard that none of the big Russians ships would attend for fear of Russian creditors from other EU countries threaten to slap a writ on them for Russian debts that are all over the place!
Things were pretty well behaved out there, no-one really discgaed themselves, that I saw.
The only low-point of the day was bumping into(not literally) another forum member in his hair-dressers craft who had the nerve to critcise my oil-burning 4 cylTurbodiesel delight, bet I had a cheaper day out than him?
Old 15 September 2008, 21:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbill View Post
The only low-point of the day was bumping into(not literally) another forum member in his hair-dressers craft who had the nerve to critcise my oil-burning 4 cylTurbodiesel delight, bet I had a cheaper day out than him?
Really. I didn't see Kernow out there.
Old 16 September 2008, 07:19   #26

Town: The West End, Penryn.
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury 100
You know who I mean, and get your hair cut, by the way!
Old 16 September 2008, 09:46   #27

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Quote:
My wife and I had a great afternoon in Falmouth Bay on Saturday, we had the Sedov all to ourselves for about half an hour, it made my day that a proper Tall Ship was able to come; I went aboard it in the Docks about 8 years ago when she visited on her own, conditions onboard were "authentic" to say the least.
I had also heard that none of the big Russians ships would attend for fear of Russian creditors from other EU countries threaten to slap a writ on them for
That would probably explain it then! We never actually saw it, presumably it was the one that was right out on it's own in the bay?

We also went round it (in 1998 I think), and it is a fantastic ship. However, in terms of 'entering into the spirit' I think my money goes to Cuauhtémoc the Mexican entry, they were really going for it with the salsa band etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Added to that the Coastguard 'work to rule'. Fal were only handling emergency traffic.
LOL yes! How long has that been going on now? They were doing it back in June too

If you want to annoy them ask for a radio check, then when they give you the "please be advised that due to industrial action... not taking routine traffic blah blah" just cut them off and say "thank you for confirming it works! "
Old 16 September 2008, 10:17   #28

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
You know who I mean, and get your hair cut, by the way!

You leave Mullet Mollers alone!
Old 16 September 2008, 10:23   #29

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Really. I didn't see Kernow out there.
T'was planned but son's rugby got in the way last minute. So for the tallships but for him playing in the colts.
May be out later today in the 'new' 5.85.
Are the coastguard back full time yet?
Old 16 September 2008, 12:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
You leave Mullet Mollers alone!
Cheers Sonic.