Old 23 March 2019, 00:05   #21

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Thanks, very interesting and thanks for the photos! Will try some TFR this weekend, is it available in high street shops anywhere? Keen to try it tomorrow but wouldn’t get an eBay delivery in time.

Photos of using wear patches with hypalon inserts are impressive! Did you do the work yourself? What’s the level of difficulty? Is getting the old handles off etc difficult? Also cost, roughly how much did that cost? Presumably buying sheets of hypalon and cutting to fit?

On the paint, knowing how marmite it is, I would only use when the other options have not worked on the knowledge that if the paint started to go, it would likely be replacement tube time.

Thanks - very interesting and useful post!
Thanks. Costs and time involved with refurbing the tubes: cost, honestly can't remember. I suspect the whole thing, similar to what I did would cost you about £500 in materials if you shop around and know where to get decent prices.

As for time, again no real idea as I was working on this project around a load of other stuff including a house renovation, so it was very much a case of doing a patch at a time when I had a spare hour or two. You could probably get it done over a couple of weekends if you cracked on. Skill level, I would say if you're a confident DIYer you could do it. Glueing isn't easy, particularly getting a clean and smooth finished on the hypalon patches. Getting the old stuff off was a mixture of tricky and easy; the handles came off easily with a hot air gun. The old orange wear patches were in very bad shape and wouldn't come off other than in tiny pieces with heat so I ended up having to (very carefully) grind these off with a sanding disk on an angle grinder. A steady handed needed for that to prevent damaging the hypalon underneath. I work on large yachts for a living so pretty used to doing stuff like this on a daily basis but it isn't rocket science. Just get yourself properly prepped and take your time.
Old 23 March 2019, 15:59   #22

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
I’ve with fairy power spray and a magic sponge. Doing my tubes now this is how they are coming up Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4295.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	128807Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4299.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	128808
Old 23 March 2019, 20:07   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Non waxed TFR ordered - if it arrives in time I’ll give it a go tomorrow [emoji106]
How'd it go then?

TFR scrubs are a bit hit and miss, IMO. Not because they're no good, but because the concentrations are difficult to determine/control. TFR isn't a chemical but a description, so products vary and users apply them differently. Pikey's technique sounds good. Use a green 3M pad to work the chemicals in and remove the nasty oxidised layers of grime and sun damaged hypalon.

Afterwards, build up several layers of optical enhancer/UV protectant to complete the job.
Old 23 March 2019, 22:02   #24

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
How'd it go then?

TFR scrubs are a bit hit and miss, IMO. Not because they're no good, but because the concentrations are difficult to determine/control. TFR isn't a chemical but a description, so products vary and users apply them differently. Pikey's technique sounds good. Use a green 3M pad to work the chemicals in and remove the nasty oxidised layers of grime and sun damaged hypalon.

Afterwards, build up several layers of optical enhancer/UV protectant to complete the job.

Arrived a bit late to do it so weather permitting - tomorrows the day!! [emoji106] will post photos of the results
Old 25 March 2019, 18:52   #25

Town: Aberdeen
Boat name: Moby 2
Make: Northcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: honda BF100
MMSI: 232015658
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A49C0F7-ADB8-4BEF-ABCE-CBA5E22D5F9A.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	128821Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5482.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	128822Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5488.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	128823Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5487.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	128824
I wiped the hyplon tubes down with PVC cleaner from tool station then put on 2 coats of hypa tech they came up pretty good.
Old 25 March 2019, 19:19   #26

Faded tubes - options?

I still didn’t get round to it over the weekend ... had about two hours available to work on it and getting old sikaflex off boat floor from removing console etc took longer than planned (as always!)

Next weekend In the daylight will give it a go. Longer evening soon will make some work possible after work!

Name:	IMG_3878.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	128825
Old 09 April 2019, 16:18   #27

Tried some Rib Revive that I had lying around to clean tubes, has restored some of the colour, though as you can see there are some areas near the edges that still look faded. You suggest I do a second round trying to ‘pull’ the colour towards the edges?

I still need to put the ribshop Rib Conditioner on top which claims to enhance the colour and provide a layer of protection ...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4095.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	129004Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4096.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	129005Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4097.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	129006Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4098.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	129007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4100.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	129008
Old 09 April 2019, 16:19   #28

Also, if this only gets me so far, any harm using TFR on top, I have bought some
Old 09 April 2019, 21:18   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Also, if this only gets me so far, any harm using TFR on top, I have bought some
IMO Rib Revive and TFR are very close caustic cousins. No issues if you rinse first. I've done this - no issues. I've had your exact result and worked a bit of 25% or 50% TFR into the corners with the green Scotchbrite. Rinse and dry. The Conditioner will bring up a consistent colour despite some apparent variation thanks to the optical brighteners. IIRC the conditioner is a waxy product and responds well to heating in a tub of hot water prior to rubbing on. I prefer the Polymarine finishing product, but the Rib Shop kit is fine.

w.
Old 09 April 2019, 21:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
IMO Rib Revive and TFR are very close caustic cousins. No issues if you rinse first. I've done this - no issues. I've had your exact result and worked a bit of 25% or 50% TFR into the corners with the green Scotchbrite. Rinse and dry. The Conditioner will bring up a consistent colour despite some apparent variation thanks to the optical brighteners. IIRC the conditioner is a waxy product and responds well to heating in a tub of hot water prior to rubbing on. I prefer the Polymarine finishing product, but the Rib Shop kit is fine.

w.

Thanks Wilk, will give that a go [emoji106] I’m hoping to get home from work at a reasonable time one day this week so will give it a go and post updated photos
Old 22 April 2019, 19:47   #31

So have the tubes a proper going over today,took a good couple of hours. Used rib revive working into the corners then the uv protector conditioner. Look good though will see if the colour lasts or if it fades quickly. When I’ve done it before but ran out of time to put the conditioner on it has faded again quickly so hopeful it won’t fade as quick this time. Will see ...

If it does, next time I will use the TFR I have already bought

Name:	IMG_4220.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	129125Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4223.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	129126Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4224.jpg
Views:	141