Old 03 February 2015, 19:44   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Extreme Environments Lab

I ran across this bored at work today. I bet somebody here knows more...

The day scientists tried to drown me ... for my own good - CNN.com

Jason
Old 03 February 2015, 19:59   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Good spot

"Did I check my lifejacket? Do I actually know how it works? Is my personal Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) in my pocket? Do I always wear that jacket? Is it registered correctly? Is it up to date? Do I know where the life raft is and what it even looks like when it's inflated? What's in our life raft and do I know how to use it?

Any complacency I may have had left was thoroughly purged by a morning spent with Professor Mike Tipton, a leading authority in environmental physiology at the Department of Sport and Exercise Science at Portsmouth University.

With the cool clarity of a man that really knows his field, Tipton told me that although hypothermia is often assumed the greatest danger, 60% of deaths in cold water happen within the first few minutes of immersion. Amazingly, 60% of those deaths will happen within 10 feet of a safe refuge, and 66% of those who die will be classified as good swimmers.

As Tipton lowered me into the cool pool, he told me that after 10 minutes my dexterity would be radically reduced and all but my core would be dangerously cold. As the water went down the neck of my jacket -- not even over my head -- I went into cold water shock."
Old 03 February 2015, 21:23   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Would be interesting to see just HOW MUCH BETTER ....A surface Dry suit would be.
Having Dived for many years,and having had close friends survive adrift at Sea for many many hours in Neoprene Diveing type Drysuits...who were subsequently rescued.
I know how with the right layers of underclothing how effective they can be!....but I don't know of any tests done with The type of Surface Dry suits we would use Boating.
One thing is for sure!!...if you find yourself having a sudden COLD WATER immersion experience...if your not wearing a Dry Suit...
you'll wish you were

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote