Old 23 August 2004, 18:14   #1

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Extending the tow ball.

Anyone tell me where I could buy an I shaped (approx 8") extention for my tow bar. Is this a safe way to extend the hitch?

Andy
Old 23 August 2004, 20:12   #2

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Andy

A man of your stature needs no extending.

Which way do you want to extend? Up, down or backwards? Oh yeah and why?
Old 23 August 2004, 20:34   #3

Hello Mark,

How you doing these days? Just changing cars and bought myself a 4WD with the spare on the back. Unfortunatly the RIB's on quite a small trailer so the bow sits quite forward and would get pretty close to the spare when turning. I need at least an 8" extention to the tow bar/ball so it protrudes past the spare to give me clearance. What I wanted to know was, had anyone done this before and is it safe or could anyone give me advice on where to get one from?

Regards

Andy
Old 23 August 2004, 20:53   #4

Doing fine Andy.

Spotted you got a 4x4 at last.
This might sound stupid, but how about sticking the spare in the boot when trailing the boat?
Trouble with extending the hitch backwards is the side loading when turning. Have a look at the standard tow bar, it will be heavily braced sideways. Also think about jack-knifing the trailer when reversing. I doubt thet you would do any damage to the original hitch, but the extension would suffer.
Also you may find that the MOT tester will take exception to it. They are fairly hot on bits sticking out and sharp edges.
Having said all that, you may find a bit of 50 x 50 x 3 box with a 6mm plate welded on each end would do the job.
Old 23 August 2004, 21:10   #5

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Try this

Andy when i needed tow bar for the CRV i spoke to Witter you could ask them. www.witter-towbars.co.uk they should know if possible.

Neal
Old 23 August 2004, 21:24   #6

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Andy

Hi, glad you found what you wanted and brought the 4X4.

I'd be a bit worried about extending the towbar that far due to the extra leverage on the mountings. Could you not extend the drawbar on the trailer a bit easier with some thicker wall box section that fits inside the original main spar.

Nasher.
Old 23 August 2004, 21:34   #7

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Hi Andy,Have you thought about extending the draw bar on the trailer,this would be a very easy modification.This way the bows of the rib will clear your spare wheel.Sorry just see previous post.
Old 23 August 2004, 21:44   #8

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Hi Andy,

I would agree with Nasher & Mark about not extending the tow bar. If things were to go pear-shaped I think you may have an insurance problem regarding non-approved modifications..

That's the only trouble with the "life-style" type 4x4's - you can't put the spare on the bonnet or roof-rack or fit a front tow-ball.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2004, 22:12   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
can't put the spare on the bonnet or roof-rack or fit a front tow-ball.
Oh, you can ALWAYS fit a front tow ball! I saw one fitted to a Peugeot 205 recently!
Old 23 August 2004, 23:09   #10

Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
Andy,

I had a 7 ft towbar extension and it behaved like a supermarket trolley on acid. Once the boat was launched, the trailer would overtake you at the top of the slipway and head for the most expensive car around.

I donated it to Stuart, who likes strong willed things. Borrow it once, when there's no one looking...

Brian
Old 23 August 2004, 23:15   #11

I'll have a look at extending the trailer a little, but I definatly don't want to push the RIB back any further as nose weight will be too light and transom will be too unsupported.

Will also phone witter tomorrow and ask their advice as well as my local Indispension dealer. I used to have an RSJ "U" section on the back of the Pug, when I used to transport my Paracart around and have also towed my trailer tent with it in position, but I think a heavy rectangular box section with welded re-inforcement might be the way to go, I'll find out at work next week if we've got some in our metal store.

THX everone and keep the Idea's comming.

Andy
Old 24 August 2004, 04:39   #12

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Just a thought,how is the axle attached,can it be moved backwards along with the boat to keep the noseweight correct?My trailer is held together with nuts and bolts.Similarly can the rear rollers be moved back?
Old 24 August 2004, 07:55   #13

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Don’t do it

If you take the Defender as an example the tow ball is only a couple of inches from the rear of the vehicle, this is not done to make life awkward and skin your knuckles, it is done to achieve the best ‘D’ value, in this case 17.4 kN. The further you move the tow ball backwards the more you have to reduce the ‘D’ value and in effect reducing your towing capacity.

The difference between theoretical ‘D’ value and the permissible value is set by the vehicle manufacture who takes into account things like weight transfer, rear axle load, handling and steering behaviour. 50mm rearwards movement of the tow ball will have a significant effect to the point where it is possible to make a vehicle jack-knife when conducting identical tests before and after.

The ideal set up for a tow bar is to have the ball on the rear axle which is not practical on most cars, however it is achieve in HGV’s. Make this change and have accident and you will be liable if the change is considered to have contributed.

I think you should change the draw bar on the trailer, who made your trailer? Some manufacture can supplier longer draw bars that you bolt on above the existing bar.

Des
Old 24 August 2004, 08:22   #14

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I get a lot of Irish runners calling in on me at work (furniture dealers)
These boys tow there caravans all over Europe & they all have a step bolted on the back of there Lu ton vans with a towing hitch bolted to the step!
The step protrudes a good 12" from the back of the van, it works for them!
Nick
Old 24 August 2004, 08:37   #15

Good point Des. I'm contacting Witter and Indespension in a mo to ask their advice.

Andy
Old 24 August 2004, 09:19   #16

Andy

Just had a look at the photos of your new pride and joy. Are you sure you will have a problem? The hitch and hand brake on your trailer must be at least 18" long, surly that will clear the centre mounted spare. I had a rear mounted spare (750 - 16, 7.5" wide x 32" dia.) on my 90 and that never even got 1/2 way down the hand brake lever. If you get the bow of the rib anywhere near the side of the spare, all the rear lights on one side of the truck will need replacing along with a rear wing and bumper.
A bit of string and a plumb line will be a quick way of finding out.
Or are you just worried about how well you glued on the bow fender?
Old 24 August 2004, 09:51   #17

That's right Mark I'm worried about the Rubbing strake falling off again .

I haven't even got the car yet, but should pick it up tomorrow or Thursday, so I don't know for sure that it won't fit on the back. I just didn't want any down time whilst I sorted a possible problem but it is close! Was hoping on the shelf parts were available.

Andy
Old 24 August 2004, 10:10   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
I haven't even got the car yet, but should pick it up tomorrow or Thursday, Andy
Good news. Can I book a perm and set for Friday then.

You have probably found that this is not an off the shelf item by now.
If there is a problem, I would stick to removing the spare when the trailer is on if I were you.