Old 27 January 2014, 15:46   #1

Exploring Scotland/Lochs by RIB

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience exploring any of the Scottish lochs by RIB? We are considering taking the RIB on a trip up to Scotland for 2-3 weeks. We are a family of 4 and dependant on feasibility wanted to spend our time exploring the lochs and or some of the more sheltered areas of coastline. In addition we had also hoped that we would be able to go for a few days on the lochs and take camping gear with us, enabling us to make a bit more of an adventure of it for our two boys.

I've looked up the restrictions on camping and generally there don't appear to be many in Scotland unlike England. Also not sure which of the lochs is the best to explore? Obviously if you going to go for a few days it would need to be fairly sizeable to make it worthwhile.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.
Old 27 January 2014, 15:53   #2

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreynolds View Post
Hi, Does anyone have any experience exploring any of the Scottish lochs by RIB? We are considering taking the RIB on a trip up to Scotland for 2-3 weeks. We are a family of 4 and dependant on feasibility wanted to spend our time exploring the lochs and or some of the more sheltered areas of coastline. In addition we had also hoped that we would be able to go for a few days on the lochs and take camping gear with us, enabling us to make a bit more of an adventure of it for our two boys. I've looked up the restrictions on camping and generally there don't appear to be many in Scotland unlike England. Also not sure which of the lochs is the best to explore? Obviously if you going to go for a few days it would need to be fairly sizeable to make it worthwhile. Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Good afternoon. Don't mean to be mean and I will help you with any info you need but there has over the years been many a thread on the subject. Suggest you have a search on here then when you have some informed questions come back on. Remember it's all subjective what I like you may not if you see what I mean. Glad to help anytime.
J

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2014, 17:56   #3

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
have a look here
http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/scotrib...4-a-58996.html
or pm me with any specifics
Old 27 January 2014, 18:08   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougcrock View Post
have a look here
http://www.rib.net/forum/f18/scotrib...4-a-58996.html
or pm me with any specifics

Nothing like advertising is there!!
Old 27 January 2014, 20:05   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreynolds View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience exploring any of the Scottish lochs by RIB? We are considering taking the RIB on a trip up to Scotland for 2-3 weeks. We are a family of 4 and dependant on feasibility wanted to spend our time exploring the lochs and or some of the more sheltered areas of coastline. In addition we had also hoped that we would be able to go for a few days on the lochs and take camping gear with us, enabling us to make a bit more of an adventure of it for our two boys.

I've looked up the restrictions on camping and generally there don't appear to be many in Scotland unlike England. Also not sure which of the lochs is the best to explore? Obviously if you going to go for a few days it would need to be fairly sizeable to make it worthwhile.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.
Jambo has some good advice. You need to do some searching and work out a little where you want to go to narrow things down. For genuinely inland water Loch Lomond is the largest and probably most varied. Loch Ness, Loch Tay, Loch Earn, Loch Awe etc - could provided some entertainment and should have somewhere to launch. Most other inland lochs are either small or may not be welcoming to powered craft or have limited access to launch.

You are right that camping is much more accessible (legally) than in England and Wales - however you need to be aware of a few things:

(i) the right to wild camp comes as an extension to the right to responsible access to most land (and water) other than private gardens, or sports grounds etc.
(ii) the right to responsible access does not apply to motorised transport - so there is no right to take your rib (or car) anywhere. As a result there is no right to motor up to any old island and set camp (but you could sail, kayak or swim!).
(iii) there is some controversy over abuse of wild camping rights. SNH provide advice on what is wild camping. However if you carry it all in on one trip (on your back, bike, or kayak) then it probably is. If you park the car (or potentially the RIB) and keep carrying stuff back and forth then you are not really camping as part of your permitted journey over the land. That doesn't mean you can't camp - but engage your brain about how/where/why avoid other people/houses and ask permission etc.
(iv) Because of abuse of the right (and IMHO a lack of balls by the authorities to apply the existing law) new rules were brought in relatively recently that ban camping on much of the East side of L. Lomond.
(v) Camping in one spot for 2-3 weeks is not 'wild' camping as far as SNH are concerned. I think you need to be aware that even in summer, and even on the big inland lochs you may get several days in a row where you don't fancy going out in the rib. Being stuck in a tent with the family in bad weather could become tortuous by wk3!
(vi) Midges: they aren't (usually) as bad as often reported but can alway be a bit of an issue (especially if camping near water!) between may-september. there is a real prospect that they will be unpleasant at somepoint on a 3 wk trip.

Finally, there is potentially better boating (and camping) around the sea lochs. You need to decide what you want - and if you need access to centres of population / activity for children/teenagers when the weather is bad or dad's boat gets boring etc!
Old 27 January 2014, 21:32   #6

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Engine: suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post

Nothing like advertising is there!!
Im only advertising a good time cruising in company I have no financial interest in any marine or related industry I have been organising rib cruising since 1993 and enjoy showing the great cruising available on the west coast I hope we can meet up this May Doug
Old 27 January 2014, 21:42   #7

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Loch Lomond is great for exploring by rib, loads of Islands etc, a few pubs, some nice cafés etc so is really boat friendly and easy to get to as well, there are a couple of Camping & Caravan Club Sites with good facilities and right on the Loch if it's your 1st time then it's a good start to exploring, excellent views and also good access to a couple of boat yards if you need them
Old 27 January 2014, 21:52   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougcrock View Post
Im only advertising a good time cruising in company I have no financial interest in any marine or related industry I have been organising rib cruising since 1993 and enjoy showing the great cruising available on the west coast I hope we can meet up this May Doug
Aw Doug I was only taking a bit a dig in the true meaning of banter. I could also have mentioned ERR but I thought he needed to do bit of digging I would once he came back mentioned the two organised cruises plus anything else within his request in terms his needs etc. yes as we are a week later this year I hope we meet up for a blether and a beer. Cheers Atb Billy Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 03 February 2014, 21:22   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
(ii) the right to responsible access does not apply to motorised transport - so there is no right to take your rib (or car) anywhere. As a result there is no right to motor up to any old island and set camp (but you could sail, kayak or swim!)
Hi all

By way of clarification, the general right of access to most land in Scotland enshrined in the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 has been ably summarised by Poly, as not including access for motorised activities (eg cars, motor bikes).

However, the pre-existing right of navigation still applies below the high water mark, so you can come into tidal (and some inland river) bays / beaches / coves etc with a motorised RIB without the need for permission up to the high water mark (though always be courteous enough not to disrupt other people etc)

In legal terms from case law, this right of navigation includes the use of the foreshore for ancillary purposes such as: "casting anchors, disboarding of goods, taking in of ballast, or water rising in fountains there, drying of mats, erecting of tents and the like". It also includes the right to embark and disembark from the foreshore: (from http://tinyurl.com/lgf8vb6)

However, before the LRA 2003 came into operation in 2005, you didn't have the formal right to, eg, responsibly walk or camp on the land above the high water mark (even though tradition may have allowed you to do so). But now you can do so, as those new rights extend across land and down as far as the low water mark, subject to the caveats Poly mentions.

Or put another way, between high and low water mark, both long standing rights of navigation over water, and the more recent right of responsible access to most land in Scotland, both apply.

Hope that helps your exploration of our brilliant coast and islands.

Steve
Old 04 February 2014, 21:48   #10

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I'm not sure of the legalities of camping so ill leave that to others
Personally id say if you want to explore and visit a different place every day or two then forget the inland lochs and head for the many sea lochs surrounding the firth of clyde
You could launch at largs or kip & head north up to gareloch then round into loch long , down to loch goil , round into holy loch, then head for loch striven on the kyles of bute up to loch riddon then round into loch fine, explore your way up to Inveraray then back down via Portavadie or Tarbet into loch ranza on arran then back past bute & the cumbraes to your start point
With a little homework you could stay in a different anchorage or marina every night
There are plenty of stop offs for fuel & supplies and plenty of opportunities for either rough camping or on sites or b&bs
Most of the area is easily navigable in a reasonably capable rib & the whole area is fairly sheltered
There is a very good free publication called welcome ashore which gives details of marinas anchorages & moorings
And a campsite guide book will fill in the bits in between
Take a look at a map of the area and you could do any or most of the area in 3 weeks it depends on how far you want to travel per day or how many times you want to move "home"
If you want more adventure the other side of the mull offers even greater oportunities but it is generaly less well served by infrastructure & more exposed
I've explored most of the inland lochs too but for pure variety you cant beat the sea lochs!
Only my opinion of course!
Old 05 February 2014, 08:45   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
beamishken

Can you please supply a link or address or tel. no. for the publication you mention "Welcome Ashore"?

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2014, 09:19   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
beamishken Can you please supply a link or address or tel. no. for the publication you mention "Welcome Ashore"?
Brian it's actually Welcome Anchorages he's talking about you should get it from RYA Scotland site. If you can't get pm me and I'll send you a copy by email.
B

Old 05 February 2014, 09:22   #13

RIBase
Quote:
Brian it's actually Welcome Anchorages he's talking about you should get it from RYA Scotland site. If you can't get pm me and I'll send you a copy by email. B Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net

Brian here it is

www.welcome-anchorages.co.uk/
Welcome Anchorages vous souhaite bienvenue aux côtes d'Ecosse et Irelande ... 2013 Welcome Anchorages Scotland.

Cheers
B

Old 05 February 2014, 09:23   #14

RIBase
Brian here's link www.welcome-anchorages.co.uk/
B

Old 05 February 2014, 09:25   #15

RIBase
Here's link. www.welcome-anchorages.co.uk/
B

Old 05 February 2014, 09:27   #16

RIBase
Brian tried to send you link but the site is acting up again. Just type in welcome anchorages into your search engine and it'll appear.

Old 05 February 2014, 09:28   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Brian tried to send you link but the site is acting up again. Just type in welcome anchorages into your search engine and it'll appear. Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net

Jesus doesn't this site blow you it kept telling me no. Then they all appear.

Old 05 February 2014, 09:57   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Got it Jambo!"!

You are a scholar and a gentleman, sir!

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2014, 10:07   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Got it Jambo!"! You are a scholar and a gentleman, sir!
Great enjoy and hope to see you when the wx changes!!
J