Old 05 August 2017, 09:53   #1
neo

Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Expected ribtec tube price

Hi guys and gals,

I am a virgin to re tubing a rib so i am putting it out the for all of you that have helped me so much with my questions and issues in the past (many thanks)
But my question is how much would i be expected to pay to have a ribtec 5.85 re tubed.

In advance many thanks
Ian
Old 05 August 2017, 10:18   #2

Town: South Brent
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Honda BF90
Hi Ian,

I dont reckon you'll get much change from £3.5K

I was quoted around £3850 + VAT for a 6.5m rib recently
Old 05 August 2017, 10:55   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo View Post
Hi guys and gals,

I am a virgin to re tubing a rib so i am putting it out the for all of you that have helped me so much with my questions and issues in the past (many thanks)
But my question is how much would i be expected to pay to have a ribtec 5.85 re tubed.

In advance many thanks
Ian
Have a run down and Go...see..meet..AND negotiate..with Chris at Henshaw's is my advice....if you can wait till a period when they're not snowed under,so much the better

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2017, 11:14   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Have a run down and Go...see..meet..AND negotiate..with Chris at Henshaw's is my advice....if you can wait till a period when they're not snowed under,so much the better

The op is in Darlington. Whilst I am sure Chris would do him a great job, and might be open to negotiation (I have no idea why though - if you are the "best" in the industry you probably don't need to discount)... the cost of fuel in getting boat from Darlington to Chris will be as much as any discount he might offer...

...but there are tube makers closer to the NE that could help. Some with a very good reputation perhaps a couple of hours away rather than a days drive each way. Humber, and at the budget end of the spectrum Northcraft are also even closer, I think both offer retubes.
Old 05 August 2017, 11:19   #5
neo

Yes thanks paul it was around what i was expecting and that was without pricing anything but i put a figure of 3g

Maximus i have just sent an email to Henshaw's prior to this post so just waiting on a reply from them cheers buddy

Just out of interest how long do hypolon tubes last ? i am looking at a ribtec 5.85 from 2004/2005 and the tubes look realy realy tired and aged and do loose air over a week would i be right in thinking that this particular rib has not been looked after greatly ???

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/R...ats_id=4257143
Old 05 August 2017, 11:44   #6
neo

Thank you poly i shall look on the tinternet

Thank you
Ian.
Old 05 August 2017, 12:46   #7
neo

i am so tempted by this buy (but not at that price though)

https://www.gumtree.com/e/2010-europ...2496751081%7C0
Old 05 August 2017, 16:56   #8

[QUOTE=Poly;754986]The op is in Darlington. Whilst I am sure Chris would do him a great job, and might be open to negotiation (I have no idea why though - if you are the "best" in the industry you probably don't need to discount)... the cost of fuel in getting boat from Darlington to Chris will be as much as any discount he might offer...

...but there are tube makers closer to the NE that could help. Some with a very good reputation perhaps a couple of hours away rather than a days drive each way. Humber, and at the budget end of the spectrum Northcraft are also even closer, I think both offer retubes.[/

I've helped two friends with complete re-tubes in recent years...One good friend...thought it worth the trip!!...and he was from Yorkshire!

I tend not to offer advice (unlike some) unless I've Practicle experience....
being a Trader all my working life,seeing the "Man" face to face for any negotiations has ALWAYS paid dividends
It also helps if the work done is by a Market leader both in quality of work and residual value,but anyone spending his own money in the real Business would know that..."Act in haste ect..

Old 05 August 2017, 18:28   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I've helped two friends with complete re-tubes in recent years...One good friend...thought it worth the trip!!...and he was from Yorkshire!
Presumably the other one was less impressed? 🤷🏼*♂️

You always recommend Chris as though he is THE only person who can reliably retube a boat. His work comes in high repute (although I am not sure how much he personally is still involved since selling up?) but there are several other companies who also come with good references, for some reason although as far as I am aware you have never had any bad experience of them you always assume the guy on your doorstep is the best choice.
Old 06 August 2017, 06:32   #10

There is also a couple of options in the North West which are probably not much different to going to the Humber.

I'm with Poly. A 300mile trip (each way) to negotiate, a 300mile trip to drop the boat off for re-tubing, and another 300mile trip to collect it. If you can't make those trips tick other boxes is going to cost a fair bit. So 1800miles in my car would cost me £200 for the fuel, 30-40 hours of time. I'm not sure driving 10+ hrs per day makes sense so and overnight in a lodge will add another bundle of notes, and thats before wear and tear on the car, the trailer and the boat!

North West guys include: North West RIBS and Inflatables (posts here as Dave Cowell) (112miles, 2hour drive)

SIT are the other guys. Not sure if they are on here but based at Leyland - so pretty much same distance

I have no experience of any of them. Both have good feeback on here. No idea of costs from any of them. The rough guide price is ~£600 per m of boat (probably +VAT).

I've not heard bad things of any of the retube guys in the UK - but it would only take one bit of bad luck to need to go back because of an issue. The distance would be an issue then again... and repairs often take > 1 day, so double up the issue..

Some people have company cars, travel the country for work and could make all that fit in with other things. Other people are time poor and would rather use what time they had for boating! The boat looks like its down souf so I guess if it could go straight to the tuber from collection some journey can be avoided..

And remember - a retube thread:

As for tube age... I think people typically say 15 years for hypalon. But there are people who manage 30, and people who have so many patches by 10 that they wouldn't know the state of underneath. Has it been kept in the water?

They aren't the worst looking tubes I've seen! People have revived far worse faded orange tubes. If the leaks are on valves etc there may be cheaper solutions - but that might mean taking the boat to the tuber to discuss options..

I suspect tubers get lots of "How much would this boat on B&O cost to re-tube" questions. Most of which result in the boat not being bought. Your will probably struggle to get hard numbers till you actually own the boat and are likely to put work their way...
Old 06 August 2017, 07:37   #11
neo

sorry shinyshoe (by the way your real name doesn't happen to be David is it) and the rest of the guys here is the rib in question (wel a link to it anyway)

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...ats_id=4257143

And thank you all for the response as always it is greatly appreciated
Old 06 August 2017, 07:44   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

I've not heard bad things of any of the retube guys in the UK - but it would only take one bit of bad luck to need to go back because of an issue.

The proper old school members will recall that not all tube refurb companies have quite such good reputations.
Old 06 August 2017, 08:36   #13

Neo - you had already linked to it, thats what made me say I'd seen worse orange tubes restored (I know these are grey but some of the orange tubes look almost grey!)

And no I'm not David nor have I ever been a David!
Old 06 August 2017, 09:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Presumably the other one was less impressed? ����*♂️

You always recommend Chris as though he is THE only person who can reliably retube a boat. His work comes in high repute (although I am not sure how much he personally is still involved since selling up?) but there are several other companies who also come with good references, for some reason although as far as I am aware you have never had any bad experience of them you always assume the guy on your doorstep is the best choice.
The other was equally impressed...saved a lot in comparison with another quote...and MADE money on the whole deal when he sold the Boat shortly after,which went towards another bigger better RIB.
Thats the way it works Poly..homework,making the right decisions,effort,including sometimes long drives and you've got a lot better chance of getting the result/s boat you want.
Hey...advice is just that...it's up to the Poster to evaluate the answers he receives.
Some people will put work in and time/research and often get a good deal on a good job....some don't or won't...and will do a phone quote locally pay their hard earned then leave it to Luck!!...then if it goes Tit up,Bitch about how the world shafted THEM again!
What ever Rocks you're Boat Baby!
Just a Happy coincidence that we have the likes of Henshaws and Ribcraft in the local neighbourhood
As you know Im not shy about traveling to get what I consider is the Best

Old 06 August 2017, 15:06   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo View Post
Yes thanks paul it was around what i was expecting and that was without pricing anything but i put a figure of 3g

Maximus i have just sent an email to Henshaw's prior to this post so just waiting on a reply from them cheers buddy

Just out of interest how long do hypolon tubes last ? i am looking at a ribtec 5.85 from 2004/2005 and the tubes look realy realy tired and aged and do loose air over a week would i be right in thinking that this particular rib has not been looked after greatly ???

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/R...ats_id=4257143
Hi Neo,

I bought a 2003 Ribtec 585 at the back end of last year - looked very similar to the one you've linked to.

Looking at the photos the blue wear patches on the top of the tubes look the worst - they can be relatively cheaply replaced.
Its got some patches where fenders have rubbed below the handles. Unsightly but probably not causing any issues.
Tubes losing air could be old leaky valves.

New tubes would be great but probably not really needed just yet.

We spend £1k on new handles, lifelines and a couple of wear patches and it has transformed the look of ours. New tubes now not needed for a while!

If I hadn't already bought a Ribtec 585 I'd be on the phone to the vendor rather than posting this up!

Henshaw tubes for my 6.5m Scorpion were £4k + VAT 3 years ago.
Old 07 August 2017, 08:48   #16

Length: no boat
Hi everyone,

We would be excited offer any assistance with retube and repairs. Please feel free to reach out to me with any opportunities.

Johan Jorstadius
Cell: +46 (0) 703 089874
Office USA: +1 (0) 707 826 2887
Office UK: +44 (0) 1963 33237
jjorstadius@wing.com | jjorstadius@henshaw.co.uk

In regards to any company changes please see below for press release published in October 2016.

Wing Inflatables, Inc. is proud to announce the acquisition of Wincanton, England-based Henshaw Inflatables Ltd. The team at Wing and Henshaw is excited about the alliance of our two companies. Wing is the leader in inflatable maritime solutions in North America and Henshaw is the leader in Europe. The union of our two companies leverages the many strengths of both. Our combined library of engineered tube designs is unmatched by any other company in the world. Having engineering staff on both continents with such varied industry experience allows for a unique blend of capabilities and opportunities. As industry veterans know, Wing is regarded as the leader in polyurethane heat-welded seams, while Henshaw is considered the leader in CSM/Hypalon® construction. Wing/Henshaw brings the power of varied technologies and capabilities to discerning customers who have the highest expectations of both product and service worldwide.

The unified company will maintain existing US and UK manufacturing and administrative offices. Wing CEO Andrew Branagh will oversee the company as President of Wing/Henshaw. Henshaw Founder Chris Hornidge will serve as a mentor to Mr. Branagh and will maintain an ownership interest in the company. It is business as usual on both sides of The Pond.
Old 07 August 2017, 09:07   #17

Town: dyffryn
Boat name: viper 1
Make: osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 140 suzuki
MMSI: 2305092099
Sit did my 6m osprey last year 3.5k great job excellent service in leyland
Old 07 August 2017, 09:13   #18

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
Maximus makes a valid point about going to see a company and discussing the retube.
Meeting the owner of the company and also the people who actually carry out the work allows you to judge for yourself whether they are the right people to trust to carry out the work.

The tubes on the boat on the link dont look to bad though, we see far worse that we refurb rather than retube.
Old 07 August 2017, 12:04   #19
neo

Thank you guys as always a great great help to the novice ribbers many thanks

I Received my quote back from henshaws and wow what an eye opener that was.
here are the figures

Price for tube and fitting kit: £2683.0 ex VAT
Price for installation at Henshaw factory in Wincanton: £1314.0 ex VAT

Total: £3997.0 ex VAT

so getting to and from this place and then the VAT added to is it looks like i am looking at the thick end of 5 large ones.

Yet again guys thank you for the help (moving alone swiftly )

Tags
rib