Old 26 July 2017, 08:52   #1
neo

Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Excel voyager sr470 - Thoughts please...!!!

Hiya guys

Iam looking at buying a Excel voyager sr470 with a 60hp Evinrude and just wanting thoughts on this please, i have not heard anything much about Excel boats just wondering how good it would stand up to the great north sea for fishing trips and family days out.
And most of all has anyone had any problems with Excel

Many thanks guys.
Old 26 July 2017, 20:41   #2

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
You will have no trouble with excel very good boat builder terry will look after you
Old 26 July 2017, 21:13   #3

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
You will have no trouble with excel very good boat builder terry will look after you
+1 I had a good look over HH boat at the weekend spot on
Old 26 July 2017, 21:30   #4

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I would go with the Suzuki 60 and not evinrude much better outboard
Old 27 July 2017, 10:35   #5
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
I would go with the Suzuki 60 and not evinrude much better outboard
Really !!! because i have heard nothing but praise for the Evinrude ETEC from what i can find out the Evinrude beats all other outboards hands down in every aspect of the motors (am i barking up the wrong tree here or what lads ??)

Many thanks Ian.
Old 27 July 2017, 11:24   #6

Search on this forum for saddle breaking on evinrude 60s, a handful have had problems with them snapping.

There is nooooo way an etec is better or worse in every way than the competitors, there are pros and cons with them all.

While I'm here, this setup doest shout out north sea to me, what is your budget and how many are you taking normally?
Old 28 July 2017, 12:31   #7
neo

The main reason is for me to get out fishing on, but also said i would get something that the family could use aswel for day trips out (not always on the coast, rivers lakes so on and so forth) consisting of me my wife and kids (both 11) i did put a top budget of 8000 but the Excel came in a lot lower than that but yet has a good engine and the boat is in realy good shape and also has all the seating we need and is laid out realy wel for a rib under 5meters

I have a 3.8m sib at the mo but find it realy hard to get the right conditions (Flat lol) to get out and do some fishing, in so was after something that could take a bit of conditions

Please tel me your thoughts and opinions

Many thanks Ian.
Old 28 July 2017, 12:58   #8

8k is a healthy budget and anything is bound to be better than your 3.8 so it is all relative to what you are coming from and to.

i would be looking at other options with that budget and maybe get something a little older with more pedigree in UK waters....humber springs to mind as good value and should be plenty about.

or sell the sib and you suddenly have 10k ish to play with, that will get you a lot of boat.
Old 28 July 2017, 14:56   #9

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Excel = Chinese RIBs...
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 15:23   #10
neo

Xk59D
Thank you for your opinions
I have been looking at humber as my 1st choice but they never have the seating arrangement that i desire i want bums on seats not tubes or floor and also looking at the long run IE storage the bigger the boat the bigger the storage bill and maintenance bill.
So trying to find a happy medium between going out fishing by my self and going out with the family and keeping the bills down in the long run

i just dont want a porche just to drive to the corner shop to pick up the morning paper if you know wat i am saying

There is a zodiac pro 5.5 with a 90hp evinrude that ive been looking at which has the seating i require and its in pristine condition but that is at 8500 but i talked myself out of that one last night and settled with the Excel but now i am been back to unsure

Many thanks Ian.
Old 28 July 2017, 15:24   #11
neo

Iam back to being unsure*
Old 28 July 2017, 18:02   #12
neo

There is this Apex that i have been looking at to on Ebay (Apex A17 RIB for sale) its 14 yr old though and i defo no nothing about Apex (american brand)
Old 28 July 2017, 18:06   #13

Bide your time, something will come along.

I have no experience of zodiac nor excel so not in a position to offer great insight I'm afraid.

Now is the worst time to be buying though so market may be a little slow with options.
Old 28 July 2017, 18:17   #14

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...-engine/180012

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...stroyer/177337

They may take a trade in.....
Old 28 July 2017, 18:18   #15

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Hi Neo,
Upgraded from big sib to little rib last year so feel your indecision.
First off you'll get no support for any Chinese built rib from this forum ( not altogether an unfounded statement). Without knowing the deal/age/condition on the Excel 470 difficult to advise but the Open Pro 550 is a good boat and probably a more sensible purchase in the long run re-resale values etc.
We were looking to purchase new and considered an Excel 470 as price looked tempting on paper. Visited the importers and in all fairness boat looked ok in the flesh....build quality passable, reasonable semi-deep V hull profile and 5yr warranty on glued pvc tubes.
On balance didn't proceed and ended up with a new XS rib as they were much more amenable and able to offer a good deal for an early autumn/winter build when the factory was quiet.
Also use ours in the North East and think the hull profile on the Excel 470 would be ok in these waters for bay hopping/island excursions etc. on a decent day. As a range the Evinrude Etecs seem great motors and favoured by many, but the few reported failures of the saddles on 60hp motors is possibly a little disconcerting.
Only you can decide, but any 5.5m boat will handle bigger seas better than a 4.7 and the Zodiac will retain its value better, but if the Excel is a good price and you can handle the depreciation, then in all fairness they don't look bad little ribs.
Old 29 July 2017, 12:12   #16
neo

Thanks for the info Durbrus but even if i traded my other boat and engine in for probs 1000 max that still leaves me with 1000 extra to pay and then also collection and storage fees straight off so i am now near on back to paying 10,000. I know i should be going for a humber to take on the conditions of what i want it to in the north sea but arrrgggghhh i dont know lmao and yes if i am spending this much on a rib then why not go that little extra to have a more stable bettter ride and will hold value better (if looked after)

Many thanks Ian.
Old 29 July 2017, 12:33   #17
neo

Hi chipKo
Thank you for the info its good to have support from someone that has/is doing the same as i am it does not feel so much of a cold dark lonely place no more hahaha, but yes as for the Excel voyager sr470 if you to waterside boats, used boats, and then you will see it there its up for 6,000 but would get it for defo 5,500 the year of both the engine and rib are 2010 bought as a package and both in really good condition. and yes i totaly agree about the depreciation of the Excel rib to the 550 pro (the zodiac pro 550 is on river shack if you care to look) he has already said in no so uncertain terms that he would accept 8,500 for it so think i should defo step up to the mark and pay the extra

Many thanks Ian

My head hurts
Old 29 July 2017, 12:37   #18

Hey buddy,

Just because they have 10k on them doesn't mean that is what you will pay.

If you can wait until winter you will get more for your money.

As for collection, that is part of the deal and the juice will be worth the squeeze.
Old 29 July 2017, 19:16   #19

Town: Lismore
Boat name: Jinty J
Make: Rib-X 535
Engine: Evinrude 75 Etec
Excel voyager sr470 - Thoughts please...!!!

Looking at the specifications for the excel RIB, I notice that the overall length is 4.7 metres and the hull length is just 3.3 meters. This means that in common with other Chinese manufactured RIBs, there is an excessively large overhang of the tubes at the bow and stern combined amounting to 1.4 metres.

Probably the overhang at the stern will be at least 1 metre and there will be an unnecessarily large overhang also, at the bow.

Looking at a well made British built RIB of an identical advertised length, the hull will be 30cms longer, making for hugely better performance in all sea conditions.

The long overhang of the tubes on the Excel will mean much more wetted area in the sea, causing drag when up on the plane. This combined with the large diameter of the tubes will prevent the RIB from sitting up high out of the water when under way, thus increasing fuel consumption and limiting top speed.
Old 29 July 2017, 20:03   #20
neo

WOW...!!!

Thank you ceejay after your comment and others it builds up a picture, and that i will not be going down the route of the Chinese Excel rib.
I am however looking at the zodiac open pro 550 carrying a 90 Evinrude its a bit over budget but at the end of the day it will not depreciate in value as much as the excel would
i am hoping to leave it from a month (because its been on the market now for 4 month) and then go at him with a price, hoping it has not been sold and if it has then theres no love lost, it just means back to the drawing board.

Thanks guys, Ian.