Warning! Some of the pictures in this thread may be too shocking for some audiences.
I have been away for quite a long time. Since I have had no inflatables for some time. But it all changed four months ago when I won my first proper RIB from an auction. I was quite sure that I would not get this boat and just left my highest bib in and closed the browser. After a while a message came and told that I was the winning bidder
So I went and collected a former Finnish navy / coastguard Searider 6.0 from a guy who had bought it from another auction held by military. This raised some concern in me but I was blinded by the fact that I finally owned an Avon Searider. And hey it was dirt cheap and I was no stranger to glass work.
After I got home and made a more proper inspection I thought that it would not need any too major work. Just some paint and some elbow grease.. Then I gradually dug deeper and deeper.. Started dismantling everything.
Some of the ply on the floor plus on the stringers was wet and coming separated. Most of the damage was on the aft floor and stringers. There was some minor wetness on bow also. The stringers around the fuel tank were mostly wet but middle section of the deck was completely dry. It was apparent that the damage was due to leaks through improperly done deck fittings and some drain holes just drilled through stringers.
At this point I thought that I could re-use the “precision cut” layer of the deck when putting all together again. I was sure that I just needed to change the top part of the deck.
continues on the next post..