Old 02 May 2014, 12:47   #61

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
I'm with Boris and Wibs on this,he could have made a better effort to show the KC rather than his nice watch. Maybe if he was sponsored by A kill cord manufacturer he would have a different approach.
Old 02 May 2014, 12:59   #62
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Flyer View Post
I'm with Boris and Wibs on this,he could have made a better effort to show the KC rather than his nice watch. Maybe if he was sponsored by A kill cord manufacturer he would have a different approach.
Again point taken and I agree with you on that point.

But that was not my point, my point was that you/we should not jump to conclusions based on a photograph/screenshot, as it is not clear if he is wearing the kill cord or not, thats all I am saying.
Old 02 May 2014, 13:04   #63
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
That picture is a screen shot from a TV show he did on Discovery, last night 9pm. This clearly shows footage of him using the boat at speed with no cord!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartiny View Post
Ok point taken.
Quote:
You are missing the point, the point is it was said that he was not wearing the kill cord, from that photo you can not tell if he IS or IS NOT so should not jump to conclusions. is that too hard for you to understand LIKE.

JUST MY OPINION LIKE!!
Would you like me to hold your shovel, 'cos you must be tired?

People expressed the opinion that he wasn't wearing a killcord. It turned out they were correct. Whether they have better eyesight than you or are just good guessers doesn't really matter IMO. Never mind killcords, I'd enjoy seeing a bit of manners in this total non-debate.

Quote:
Again point taken and I agree with you on that point.

But that was not my point, my point was that you/we should not jump to conclusions based on a photograph/screenshot, as it is not clear if he is wearing the kill cord or not, thats all I am saying.
If you get MY point?
Old 02 May 2014, 13:12   #64
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Would you like me to hold your shovel, 'cos you must be tired?

People expressed the opinion that he wasn't wearing a killcord. It turned out they were correct. Whether they have better eyesight than you or are just good guessers doesn't really matter IMO. Never mind killcords, I'd enjoy seeing a bit of manners in this total non-debate.

If you get MY point?
They had not seen the programme so yes they are good guessers.

Yes already said point taken or do you have a problem reading.

I did not start the SHOUTING I was responding to it.
Old 02 May 2014, 13:18   #65

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Exactly!! based on that photograph its your opinion not fact, and that is my point it could be attatched you cannot see the end of it so you cannot prove that he is not wearing the kill cord you can only assume and we know that when you assume it makes an ASS of U and ME.

In this country we are innocent untill proven guilty, we do not convict on an assumption.

Again i rest my case

I understand your point, but again I am concerned with the image portrayed. I am sure that most would agree that the wearing of kill cords is to be encouraged, and with Bear being a role model for so many young people, he should behave responsibly, and show he is obviously wearing one.

The people who may be looking up to Bear would not automatically think that the boat MAY not be in the water, or MAY not have the engine running, etc etc. The influence of images of role models is quiet significant, as many advertising agencies would confirm.

We are not trying him in a court of law, only the normal rib net kangaroo court!
Old 02 May 2014, 13:20   #66
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
I understand your point, but again I am concerned with the image portrayed. I am sure that most would agree that the wearing of kill cords is to be encouraged, and with Bear being a role model for so many young people, he should behave responsibly, and show he is obviously wearing one.

The people who may be looking up to Bear would not automatically think that the boat MAY not be in the water, or MAY not have the engine running, etc etc. The influence of images of role models is quiet significant, as many advertising agencies would confirm.

We are not trying him in a court of law, only the normal rib net kangaroo court!
Fully agree with all your comments/points
Old 02 May 2014, 13:23   #67

Town: Swindon
MMSI: 235910561
It's worth noting though, that in spite of what Mr G *should* be doing, he's actually just following the same practise as SeaLegs themselves are demonstrating in their own training videos!
Old 02 May 2014, 13:26   #68

Town: Swindon
MMSI: 235910561
Changing the topic very slightly, I recently rented a centre console boat on the river Rhine in Germany and before pulling away from the dock, I automatically strapped the killcord round my leg. I was told very clearly by the owner of the rental company that I should ABSOLUTELY NOT use that thing, as it could cause my engine to stop if I pull it out!

So much for "compulsory licensing".....!
Old 02 May 2014, 13:34   #69

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
brilliant!
Old 02 May 2014, 13:38   #70

Town: Southampton
Boat name: 'Mojo'
Make: Searider
Ermm....

At what point did I agree with forum members that he ISN'T wearing a killcord.?

That's right, re read the entire thread- you'll find I haven't.

Well done for making a fool of yourself.....and erm...that's right,

JUMPING TO A CONCLUSION.
Old 02 May 2014, 13:39   #71
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Yes already said point taken or do you have a problem reading.
I can read that. You aren't covering yourself in glory here. My point is that you are creating a whole hoo ha over absolutely nothing. You are also being unnecessarily rude. This thread is closed for a while....
Old 03 May 2014, 23:37   #72
RIBnet Supporter

...and that while is now over. Measured comment please.
Old 04 May 2014, 06:39   #73

Length: 7m +
I personally dont care if he is or isnt, my view is as a celeb in the spotlight he should be. It doesnt look to me like he is.

I dont think there is a solution to the kill cord issue unless its made compulsory which i doubt will happen.

One issue i have more to the point is that publishers make money from all the boating mags they sell and in those mags there are lots and lots of images of high speed small craft where the helm person isnt wearing a kill cord and also no one wearing a life jacket.

I feel the publishers of boat mags as an industry should stop using shots of boats and people underway if they are not wearing a life jacket or kill cord.

Many examples of this in the powerboat and rib mag and yet they jumped on band wagon re kill cords after the milly incident. Lots of other mags also so not limited to pbr. Would be good if pbr made a stand on this, they could get some free pr out of it if they did.
Old 04 May 2014, 09:23   #74
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I dont think there is a solution to the kill cord issue unless its made compulsory which i doubt will happen..............

.........I feel the publishers of boat mags as an industry should stop using shots of boats and people underway if they are not wearing a life jacket or kill cord.
Now, where did I leave that can-opener....

I wouldn't be so sure about the low likelihood of killcord use becoming compulsory (but I do think it won't be policed) - all coded RIBs are already forced to use them so the idea is around. If insurance companies made it clear that they would be arguing the toss in injury cases (contributory negligence) it would make a few think. If Publishers insisted on their use in print, it would have to help. I'm not hugely in favour of trying to enforce safety and remove risk from our every living moment, but there are lots of little things we do without much thought that could be made safer with a little encouragement. Killcords and PFDs are two of them. Many, many awful incidents occur annually that would have ended much less tragically had both these devices been used.

As a side bar, I was at a harbour a couple of weeks ago and saw a family preparing to go fishing in small boat - basically a 15' punt. The man and his three young sons (aged 8-15?) had no PFDs on or in the vessel. There was zero equipment on board other than fishing rods. They had no warm clothes. There was not even a fender or drum to use as buoyancy. Needless to say, no flares or VHF - like I say - the boat was open and empty. The main engine failed to start, so they went off on the aux., no killcord, naturally. I last saw them about two miles out to sea - fishing. The only protective clothing the man had on was a pair of waders....
Lots do this and survive, but quite a few get caught every year. I think a lot of it is down to ignorance and a refusal to consider that something might go wrong.
Old 04 May 2014, 12:51   #75

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Bubbas Bouy
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
One issue i have more to the point is that publishers make money from all the boating mags they sell and in those mags there are lots and lots of images of high speed small craft where the helm person isnt wearing a kill cord and also no one wearing a life jacket.

I feel the publishers of boat mags as an industry should stop using shots of boats and people underway if they are not wearing a life jacket or kill cord.
What a great and simple idea.. All the right subliminal messages. I think a letter to these magazines is a great idea, even if they take no notice, it might just sow a seed......
(And I wager it won't make letter of the month!!!!)
Think I'm gunna sit and write an email or three........

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Old 04 May 2014, 17:55   #76
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
Ermm....

At what point did I agree with forum members that he ISN'T wearing a killcord.?

That's right, re read the entire thread- you'll find I haven't.

Well done for making a fool of yourself.....and erm...that's right,

JUMPING TO A CONCLUSION.
Ermm...

If the above comment is aimed/directed towards me, then could you please direct/show/ or qoute the the comments that I made to you about that issue.

I will not hold my breath as it did not happen.

Jumping to conclusions were we.
Old 04 May 2014, 18:12   #77

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
bartiny!! chill..... have a beer
Old 04 May 2014, 18:18   #78
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
bartiny!! chill..... have a beer
Your right Kerny I do get a bee in my bonnet at times

Old 04 May 2014, 18:37   #79

So have an ex RNLI helm those boats are awesome and I wish I could buy one but funds don't allow. The engines are fitted with a y shape mercury switch that only operates when inverted when it does it shuts the engine down and a solinod close and seals the air box off when the the boat is righted the switch re opens the airboat and you go through the checks and re start.
The kill cord well when your sat in the seat of a 75 it's the safest place I have ever felt in some very poor weather down in West Cornwall. I drive a searider for work and don't compare. But come second.
And we'll Bear wear a kill cord............ Some one should send him the MAIB report form Padstow. :-(
Old 05 May 2014, 20:13   #80

Town: Portland, Dorset
Make: Ribcraft
New series on ch4 taking people out to an island driving a hardboat with outboard & no kill cord visible. Not a good thing for someone in the public eye, very dissappointing image to portray.