Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 29 April 2017, 21:51   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
What makes you think that changing an outboard would be a "Major Craft Conversion"?
Old 30 April 2017, 11:08   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
What makes you think that changing an outboard would be a "Major Craft Conversion"?
If modifying an engine to gain an extra 15% power (remap or changing the carbs) constitutes a "Major Craft Conversion" then I'd think fitting an engine that doesn't conform to current standards (it may have conformed 5 or 10 years ago) would fall into the same category.
Old 30 April 2017, 11:38   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
My last boat was bought new in 2013 (RCD Compliant). I fitted a 2004 "old school" 75hp Mercury and put it into use myself.

I am not interpreting the directive, the RYA are, and they state

"This means that any CE marked vessel* that undergoes a Major Craft Conversion must undergo a Module PCA assessment before being placed back on the market or put into service (whichever is the earlier). The legal responsibility for this is placed on the person who is placing the vessel back on the market or putting it back into service after the Major Craft Conversion has been carried out".

I could therefore not have lawfully done this under this new directive even with a Module PCA assessment and I can imagine what the costs involved in that would be.

I agree, you're very unlikely to get caught or confronted over it so, we just choose which rules we're going to abide by and which ones we're going to ignore and, that we can get away with this, demonstrates it can't be policed or enforced and just confirms its pointless stupidity.

I can't help but think that you're comparing oranges to apples. The hull & engine are completely different entities. A hull leaves the factory with a RCD category which is independent of whatever is hung on the back AS LONG AS it is within the HP & weight range of the hull design. The manufacturers have no idea what's going on the back when the hull is designed, it could be petrol, diesel, electric, 2stroke, 4 stroke etc. As long as the power & weight are within the design limits, the RCD category will stand. As I read it, a "major" change refers to altering the hull in a way that would compromise The RCD. Sticking an old skool 2s on the back will not alter the RCD of the boat.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 14:28   #24

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I'd have to agree with pikey Dave I think engine certification and boat certification for an outboard powered boat are totally separate things I wouldn't even get too worried about an inboard installation if your using an older used inboard engine as it's already in service in the country so the rules would apply from its time of first use
Old 30 April 2017, 14:38   #25

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I wouldn't worry about any of it at all.
You get people here that get in a state about filling up petrol in cans and transporting it, people worry where the tailboard is on either their boat or their trailer, get a life and get out and enjoy your boats instead ..... [emoji106]
Old 01 May 2017, 07:43   #26

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I can't help but think that you're comparing oranges to apples. The hull & engine are completely different entities. A hull leaves the factory with a RCD category which is independent of whatever is hung on the back AS LONG AS it is within the HP & weight range of the hull design. The manufacturers have no idea what's going on the back when the hull is designed, it could be petrol, diesel, electric, 2stroke, 4 stroke etc. As long as the power & weight are within the design limits, the RCD category will stand. As I read it, a "major" change refers to altering the hull in a way that would compromise The RCD. Sticking an old skool 2s on the back will not alter the RCD of the boat.
If you've got the time or inclination this lists what the RCD covers. (including engine noise and emissions)

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-m...ional-craft_en

We've built boats for hundreds maybe even thousands of years without having to pay bureaucrats six figure salaries to produce all this dribble and now, as others have wisely advised, best just to ignore all the bits we don't like and get on with playing with our boats.....weather's looking ok, time to hitch up.
Old 02 May 2017, 00:39   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
If you've got the time or inclination this lists what the RCD covers. (including engine noise and emissions)

https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-m...ional-craft_en

We've built boats for hundreds maybe even thousands of years without having to pay bureaucrats six figure salaries to produce all this dribble and now, as others have wisely advised, best just to ignore all the bits we don't like and get on with playing with our boats.....weather's looking ok, time to hitch up.

Although in fairness we've not been building outboard driven boats for more than about fifty years before the RCD! And we did (do) have our own bureaucrats producing and inspecting rules for commercial vessels and have done at least since titanic sank taking many lives with it!
Old 02 May 2017, 08:22   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
And we did (do) have our own bureaucrats producing and inspecting rules for commercial vessels...
No shortage of busybodies past or present, P.
Old 03 May 2017, 06:59   #29

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
I wouldn't worry about any of it at all.
You get people here that get in a state about filling up petrol in cans and transporting it, people worry where the tailboard is on either their boat or their trailer, get a life and get out and enjoy your boats instead ..... [emoji106]
Now I agree with that. Also if people did not raise this sort of thing here and other places no one would know about it or care