Old 16 April 2011, 11:36   #21

Town: New Forest
Length: 6m +
A good knife is also invaluable such as the RRK rescue knife. I never go boating without one.
Old 16 April 2011, 15:02   #22

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinesafety View Post
A good knife is also invaluable such as the RRK rescue knife. I never go boating without one.
Agreed. I keep a "Bearclaw" knife attached to the A frame just behind the drivers post. Nice because if someone else grabs it, it's highly unlikely they'll damage the tubes.

Knife is here:
http://www.crkt.com/Bear-Claw-Blunt-...-Serrated-Edge

This particular knife needs a heavy coat of silicone grease if it's in the elements; the stainless is prone to heavy surface rust.

Only had to use it once (semi-emergency; needed to cut a towed boat loose as I was drifting in a river current, and the towed boat was where I wanted it to be, but the tension on the 1/2" line made it impossible to untie. The knife left the boat loose and in position in about a half a second.)

I was going to mention the Merc toggle switch kill cord as well, but Martini and Jezza beat me to it. I'm trying to figure out if I can retrofit my Yam killswitch to that type. If you're not familiar with it, it's a standard toggle switch that gets flipped one way when the killcord is yanked out. Resetting simply involves flipping the toggle switch and firing up the motor.

jky
Old 16 April 2011, 17:38   #23

Town: Romney Marsh ,Kent
Make: Osprey 5.85
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu
Another handy thing to carry is a bit of cash and possibly bank card.. Break down and get towed into a different harbour, handy to get the beers in for the towing crew!
Also be able to buy spares or even get home!!

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 19 April 2011, 19:27   #24

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Sea Quest
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 150hp Mag3
black bin bags, can be used for lots of things if worst comes to worst.
Old 19 April 2011, 19:54   #25

Town: durham
Boat name: Moo
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 Yamaha
I get to collect my boat tomorrow so thanks for the advice provided. I might have to be selective regarding the items I include as i am not sure that the bow storage bag will hold all of the suggestions. I may choose to to carry 3 litres of beer rather than water as this will negate the need for cash!

In addition to the 15hp engine ordered already, I will be ordering a 60hp motor and trailer. The Suzuki looks interesting as it is light, however I am keen to hear opinions regarding alternatives and their benefits. Is the Yamaha Y-COP security a real benefit? Are there any other important differences that I ought to consider.