Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipermax80 View Post
Slightly off topic, but which PLB do people recommend?

Need to get one after an impromptu swimming lesson, but at least I know the lifejacket works (Bladder took some damage but Spinlock replaced free of charge which was good of them)

I have a fastfind-210 & an ACR resqulink (the floating one ) the fastfind is smaller & is a better fit in the life jacket pocket, the ACR floats, the fast find doesn't. Both do the same job (I hope[emoji15]) Apart from that, you pays your money & takes your choice.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 11:56   #22

Town: Tring
Make: Ring 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
RIBase
PLB (Ocean Rescue Rescueme PLB1), Hand held VHF, Fixed DSC VHF, Mobile. Considering LED Flare.
Old 16 January 2018, 15:53   #23

Town: Gatineau (Aylmer),Quebec
Boat name: Bombard Explorer
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 115
You bet I do! Didn't have one when my Triak sailing kayak capsized and sank due to an amas joint that failed during a storm. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. The VHF handheld radio floated away, the cell phone sank when the PFD inflated upon immersion. No EPIRB, no PLB, no one aware that I'm lost at sea. Alone, very cold and struggling to remain afloat. Very nearly cost me my life. When the Coast Guard finally found me, at night, six hours later, my body temperature was 77 F, my arms and legs were white from lack of blood, I had cramps that were almost unbearable and I was starting to loose consciousness.

So now, whenever I take my Bombard Explorer 600 DB out on the ocean, I carry an EPIRB attached to my PFD, a PLB, a portable floating VHF, a cell phone in a waterproof case, a 35 watts permanent VHF with GPS, a safety line attached to the ignition key and a navigation plan known to someone. And of course every device required by law.
Old 16 January 2018, 17:45   #24

Town: Derby
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: no boat
PLB in my life jacket along with a personal AIS, rigged to trigger as soon as the LJ inflates(AIS more useful than PLB when I'm yacht racing when the closest help will be the boat I fell off or another of the race fleet). DSC HH on me somewhere as well when on a power boat.
Old 16 January 2018, 19:00   #25

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
+ 1 for the fast find with a neoprene coat to keep it afloat and on a lanyard in my lifejacket pocket
Old 16 January 2018, 19:05   #26

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
+1 for PLB on LJ drysuit. Also HH VHF clipped to LJ. Fixed VHF on console.

Not considered EPIRB necessary for what I do -seldom more than 5NM off shore (unless I've really messed up the navigation!).
Old 17 January 2018, 09:08   #27

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Whilst in your shoes I would be going plb too I think the advantages of an epirb are:
- they float in the correct position to transmit, it’s unlikely that a plb is still getting consistent distress messages out when you are no longer strong enough to hold it upright. That could be just minutes after a sudden immersion (assuming you are capable of working it).
- they will transmit for longer (giving more time for Falmouth and Stanley to discuss the plan and come looking for your frozen body!)
- the epirb is simpler to activate so might be better suited if it’s not you doing the activation, plbs aren’t difficult but if the first time you saw one was when you were in icy water unexpectedly I’m not sure who would use them properly.
- if you had many people on board one epirb to cover them all might be cheaper than a plb each (although they aren’t equivalent)
My logic is that in conditions under which I am most likely to get fired out of the boat unexpectedly, I'm usually either with another boat (who can raise alarm/deal as appropriate), or alone, and if I'm alone then sitting in the water looking at a nice shiny EPIRB drifting away in its console mount doesn't help me much. It's got to be on me so it goes with me. Don't generally take pax out in conditions where I might get ejected, just as a general risk management measure.

Vipermax80, mine is a Fastfind 220 in the floating pouch attached to my LJ harness with both the strap and the lanyard. I chose it for the long battery life as getting it changed down here will be a PITA. I bought mine in 2012 and it doesn't expire until Sep 2019. Rather than get it serviced I may just buy another one, as the cost differential by the time I ship it back, get it serviced and then return it here is probably not that great.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 20:33   #28

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Just make sure what ever you use that the aerial remains vertical and above the water even if you are unconscious http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/documents...nsBrochure.pdf
Old 21 January 2018, 08:59   #29

Length: 7m +
DSC VHF fitted on rib, flares in locker, PLB in my pocket, handheld DSC VHF attached to my lifejacket and worn always.
Old 21 January 2018, 11:54   #30

Town: Cheddleton
Boat name: Black Hawk III
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: 300
So if were are going for PLBs

Its either the McMurdo Fastfind 220 or the ACR ResQlink+PLB (the one that floats).

Or in some peoples case both for good measure.

https://www.mcmurdogroup.com/mcmurdo-products/mcmurdo-fastfind-220/

https://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlinkplus/#sthash.0gdbqTxb.dpbs

Before I go out and buy one, the other or both, just want to check there not going to be defunct, by a new system / satellite frequency etc in the next 12 months

Thanks
Old 21 January 2018, 13:05   #31

Length: 3m +
You aren't going to be defunct in 12 months!

The basic PLB tech is used on every commercial ship in the form of EPIRBs. Not seen any suggestion there are any changes planned but at the VERY MINIMUM it would take 6 years to implement a change like that as old kit would be replaced on expiry...

The only other thing that might be in the offing would be either:

combined with DSC VHF
combined with AIS
or combined with both.

The two bits of kit are different beasts. This bit of kit: Ocean Signal RescueMe MOB1 - Man OverBoard System with Integrated DSC combines AIS and DSC. Smart idea to combine the two. But it doesn't give the reassurance that your signal should *always* be pinging up on the screen in a MRCC

If someone did a combined "all three" it could be tempting...
Old 21 January 2018, 20:37   #32

Town: IPSWICH
Make: zodiac
RIBase
defunct plb

am i reading this wrong or are plb or eprib gonna have to be renewed ???
Old 21 January 2018, 21:00   #33

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Yup & PLBs

Tags
rib