Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 February 2005, 15:17   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 33
Ensigns and burgees

We have a 4.8m RIB with an A frame (thanks to Olly). What are the rules on ensigns and burgees re size and location? We have just bought a new nav light on a pole to fly the ensign, but I don't know how big it should be for that size of boat. Also we are members of the RNSA and RMSA and also our marina (once we've sorted out the berth) and our burgees are in the post. Any ideas????? We want to look the part, but don't want to over-do it either.

Thanks,
Kathy and Izzy
__________________

__________________
Bollyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 15:25   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollyfish
We have a 4.8m RIB with an A frame (thanks to Olly). What are the rules on ensigns and burgees re size and location? We have just bought a new nav light on a pole to fly the ensign, but I don't know how big it should be for that size of boat. Also we are members of the RNSA and RMSA and also our marina (once we've sorted out the berth) and our burgees are in the post. Any ideas????? We want to look the part, but don't want to over-do it either.

Thanks,
Kathy and Izzy
Their is no size restriction on ensigns, but be careful that it does not block sight of the Navigation lights. Also you will not be allowed to fly a Blue ensign unless you were or are connected with the armed forces. One other point to remeber is if you have any large flags to ensure that these do not trail near the propellor for obvious reasons, yes I have seen it done.
__________________

__________________
Simon Hawkins
http://www.rnli.org.uk/cowes
Simon Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 15:50   #3
Member
 
Louise's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,039
And don't forget the most important one - the RIBnet burgee! PM Cookee if you want to buy one.
__________________
MUM POWER!
www.biboa.com
Scorpion RIB Group on Facebook
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 15:58   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins
Their is no size restriction on ensigns, but be careful that it does not block sight of the Navigation lights. Also you will not be allowed to fly a Blue ensign unless you were or are connected with the armed forces. One other point to remeber is if you have any large flags to ensure that these do not trail near the propellor for obvious reasons, yes I have seen it done.

Not strictly true about the Blue ensign and armed forces. if you are a member of a club that has a royal warrent to fly a blue ensign they its allowed.
__________________
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 16:54   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 388
Zippy. Can agree with that but thought it went outside of the scope of the question.
__________________
Simon Hawkins
http://www.rnli.org.uk/cowes
Simon Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 16:59   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Hawkins
Zippy. Can agree with that but thought it went outside of the scope of the question.
Point taken. i think flying an ensign and or burgee should be encouraged. as a former sailor where tradition is everything we were frowned on if the ensign wasnt up at dawn and down at dusk. (Racing excluded of course)

Think im right in saying officially burgees should be flown starboard side of the mast. not sure how this equates to ribs and A frames but then we are not a clickie as some sailors!
__________________
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 17:17   #7
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
RIBnet Burgee on starboard, St George on Portside and Scull & Crossbones on the mast head. I'm also planning on a Figurehead as well.
__________________
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 17:37   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
Think im right in saying officially burgees should be flown starboard side of the mast. not sure how this equates to ribs and A frames but then we are not a clickie as some sailors!
Zippy

From my former days of sailing, you are correct in saying you fly the burgee on the starbourd side of the mast just under the cross trees, therefore the same principle would apply to non masted boats, the starboard side.
__________________
Simon Hawkins
http://www.rnli.org.uk/cowes
Simon Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 17:44   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Hants
Length: no boat
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 33
Thanks very much for the advice. Just for the record, we are both connected to the Armed Forces and are members of the Royal Navy Sailing Association and the Royal Marines Sailing Association. That coupled with registration on the SSR and you can fly a blue ensign ......as long as you're over 7m LOA .....which we're not! Gutted! Thanks very much guys!

Louise - I'm on the case of the RIBnet burgee too (why not?!) . All we need now is some bunting and Andy's figurehead idea and we'll be on our way!!

Thanks,
Kathy
__________________
Bollyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2005, 18:43   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,894
RIBase
Where and what?

Club burgees starboard side.
Most senior club burgee above others if flying more than one (RNSA at top of course!).
If flying a blue ensign (can't as under 7m or 2 GRT must get bigger boat) must also fly appropriate club burgee and have warrant on board.
Signal flags port side.
Ensign can go on centreline or starboard side but generally below burgees.
House flag (family crest etc.) can go at masthead above all others.
__________________

__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.