Old 06 December 2019, 22:43   #1

Town: Tarbert
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Engine height for Halmatic Arctic 22

Hello all, I’m new to the forums 👋
Looking for advice on engine height...
I’ve recently bought an arctic 22 bare hull and new XL shaft outboard engine (yam 130) which hasn’t been fitted yet.
Now usually I would just set the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the hull but I’m thinking this might be a tad low on this hull. Result in excess drag, increased fuel usage etc...
A friend has a Pacific 22 outboard conversion with a modern 300 Suzuki. His is set around 2.75-3” above the bottom of the hull. It is ok on calm water with 2 people but throw on some decent weight and head into big waves it cavitates pretty badly. Needless to say it has to be lowered.
I’m thinking a setting of 1” above may be about right.
Any thoughts from Halmatic owners? What do you have yours set at?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 07 December 2019, 22:33   #2

Town: Stoke-on-Trent
Boat name: Delta tango
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF300
My suzuki 250 is set at 1” above.

Cavitation plate is just under the surface when trimmed and well under way with a light boat.
I could afford to lift another 3/4” i reckon however that would sacrifice its rough water handling and turning which it doesn't suffer with at all.
Old 09 December 2019, 16:28   #3

Town: Tarbert
Engine: Outboard
Thanks Deltatango, I’ll go with 1” above. Definitely want to keep it’s rough water handling as good as possible
Old 09 December 2019, 16:57   #4

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
The best motor/transom height match is the one where the water flow at speed skims right under the small upper plate while boat runs on plane on calm flat water cond with trim remaining at neutral.

For that have a light mate to pull his head out middle transom and visually check at which lower leg height is water flow passing by, will instantly know if in need to raise or lower a tad the motor to achieve that cond or as close to it as possible as the transom holes don't play by the militer when raising or lowering the motor on the transom.

The setting mentioned on all Owner's Manual are just references on a dry motor/transom installation which most times doesn't work as expected. When boat is on its way, it's a differente wet story.

Once dialed, if deck weight is evenly distributed, motor runs towards its full wot rpm range with a maximized prop you won't need to move the trim from neutral position. A motor running towards its full rpm range as loaded makes a day/night planing difference.

BTW, have 20 years experience doing so on my own and friends different type of boats with excellent results.

Happy Boating
Old 09 December 2019, 21:28   #5

Genuine question- what do you mean by "neutral trim"?