Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 19 August 2014, 05:38   #1

Empty rib in fowey with engine running sparks a search.

Hope this is no one from here....

The rib was discovered in the early hours of Tuesday but nobody was aboard
An air and sea search is under way in Fowey, Cornwall after a boat was found adrift with its outboard motor running.

The rib was discovered in the early hours of Tuesday but nobody was aboard.

It is not known how many people were originally in the vessel.

Two lifeboats, harbour patrol boats and a police rib are searching the area while, as well as a rescue helicopter from RNAS Culdrose.
Old 19 August 2014, 06:57   #2

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Fowey Regatta is on at the moment, fireworks display on the river at 9.30 pm last night, there would have been hundreds/thousands of people around the place, loads of boats visit, think there were at least 2 ribnetter's out there (one of whom is staying with us and I see their car parked safely outside).
Old 19 August 2014, 07:41   #3

Length: 3m +
Fowey boat search stood down as marine theft is suspected - BBC News

Guessing they know something we don't... Like who's boat it was..
Old 19 August 2014, 08:23   #4

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
apparently there's cctv on the jetty of a group firing up the engine and releasing the boat onto the river deliberately, the owner now has it back.
Old 19 August 2014, 08:51   #5

Good to here all is well and no one is missing.
Old 19 August 2014, 08:55   #6

Town: Staines, Middx
Boat name: EXisa
Make: Predator 599
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow Buoy View Post
apparently there's cctv on the jetty of a group firing up the engine and releasing the boat onto the river deliberately, the owner now has it back.
F%*king idiots wasting the time of that level of life saving resource ...
Old 19 August 2014, 09:24   #7

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Apparently, a bunch of teenage lads were caught on CCTV nicking it and larking about with it. My 19yo is up there with a bunch of mates staying on a classic launch. :-/
Old 19 August 2014, 10:22   #8

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Borrowing tenders/ribs, fine, at least the culprits get a benefit from doing it! Especially if they put them back. No harm done I guess.

Releasing them with engine running is just dangerous, vandalism, mindless and down right pathetic. As seen, look at the consequences, cost, time etc of rescue services.

This is where corporal punishment would be useful as the punishment even if caught is basically nothing. They need a good slap.
Old 19 August 2014, 13:22   #9

Don't want to seem like I'm defending the t**ts who did this but dya think they thought... "Oh lets shove that boat out and see if we can spark off a multi-million pound search" or dya think they used the boat for whatever purpose to get where they wanted and thought - "if we push it off here it might get back to roughly where we got it from and they wont link it to us..."

Not sure what crime they have committed... theft seems the most obvious. Pretty sure community payback orders are allowed for theft. While its not a slap, 10 days of unpaid work feels to me like it should make a bigger impact than a smack across the back of the head... think thats needed when they are much younger to make them think of consequences to actions...
Old 19 August 2014, 15:09   #10

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I know what id want to do to them if it was mine but 10 hours unpaid work isn't what I was thinking.10 weeks in hospital seams more like it
Old 19 August 2014, 15:43   #11

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Don't want to seem like I'm defending the t**ts who did this but dya think they thought... "Oh lets shove that boat out and see if we can spark off a multi-million pound search" or dya think they used the boat for whatever purpose to get where they wanted and thought - "if we push it off here it might get back to roughly where we got it from and they wont link it to us..."

Not sure what crime they have committed... theft seems the most obvious. Pretty sure community payback orders are allowed for theft. While its not a slap, 10 days of unpaid work feels to me like it should make a bigger impact than a smack across the back of the head... think thats needed when they are much younger to make them think of consequences to actions...

I have to agree with the last sentence!!! Why is it that very few (young adults) as they like to call themselves have no idea of the Consequences of there actions.
I would like to think that I would of not even considered taking someone's tender without asking never mind leaving it adrift with the engine running without a thought.

I wonder if the parents are the same people who allowed there children to throw stones at my rib last year just because it was moored in there range of fire in the Helford River!!

I wonder if Alcohol was also involved?
Old 19 August 2014, 15:43   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Not sure what they were thinking...but it wasn't their property to play with in the first place.

No excuse for what happened and I hope the perpetrators get suitably punished, but I'd ensure my boat was immobilised before leaving it -even on a pontoon - keys out, killcord & spare away, battery isolation key removed - and if for any length of time fuel off as well - why make it easy for someone else?
Old 19 August 2014, 16:33   #13
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
c

www.firstaidatsea.co.uk
www.SPRmarine.co.uk
Old 19 August 2014, 16:49   #14

Town: brierley hill
Boat name: rocknrolla
Make: osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Borrowing tenders/ribs, fine, at least the culprits get a benefit from doing it! Especially if they put them back. No harm done I guess.

Releasing them with engine running is just dangerous, vandalism, mindless and down right pathetic. As seen, look at the consequences, cost, time etc of rescue services.

This is where corporal punishment would be useful as the punishment even if caught is basically nothing. They need a good slap.
There is hope f u yet Looey
Old 19 August 2014, 17:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
No excuse for what happened and I hope the perpetrators get suitably punished, but I'd ensure my boat was immobilised before leaving it -even on a pontoon - keys out, killcord & spare away, battery isolation key removed - and if for any length of time fuel off as well - why make it easy for someone else?
That is a good point. I don't leave my car with the ignition key dangling because if I do it won't surprise be that some t*#*#r will borrow it...

I'm assuming this is a small Rib used as a tender, so manual start, no keys, no battery.

But should have a KC. If its one that can be over ridden I'd be changing it. Few nyaffs will carry a spare. Although some may be handy with some string..

I'd also want to lock something... Engine in up pos maybe?
Old 21 August 2014, 16:12   #16

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
but dya think they thought... "Oh lets shove that boat out and see if we can spark off a multi-million pound search"
quite probably...after several decades in a cg team I've been out for numerous false alarms for flares fired from the shore etc and several false vhf cries for help. One vhf call was a boat on fire. We turned out and could see no target to send a lifeboat to and our flank station started his search up the coast at a local boat club. The first boat name he saw in the compound next to the beach was that of the vessel allegedly in distress but of course we still had to satisfy ourselves that nobody was actually in danger. They are not all locked up, too many of 'em are out there happy to get their kicks watching helicopters, lifeboats and others waste their time and effort, whilst sat watching on the sea wall with a can in their hand.

Tags
rib