Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 February 2005, 10:49   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Yam
Length: 5.5
Engine: Yamaha 115hp 4 stroke
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 9
Electric shocks!!

Just a quick question which I really hope someone can help with.

When I am driving my rib with wet hands ( for example, when I get back onboard after waterskiing ) I get these very uncomfortable "shocks" from the steering wheel.

The feeling can only be described as a strong tingling sensation...quite unpleasant
__________________

__________________
Timmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2005, 11:28   #2
Member
 
Kernow Buoy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,518
Quote:
The feeling can only be described as a strong tingling sensation...quite unpleasant
It does sound as though you may have a short there somewhere Timmo, but hey, any strong tingling on an extremity can take some explaining!
Kernow
__________________

__________________
Kernow Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2005, 11:59   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 447
hI

I'M not sure that 12v would do that, if its a real shock that makes you JUMP, i would suggest its higher voltage. such as ignition system
__________________
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2005, 12:16   #4
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 835
Shocks

12 volts absolutly will give you a shock, as will a 9v battery etc.That is if you test it with your tounge.You may have read in previous posts I have suggested that it is absolutely pointless fitting a battery isolater switch on a boat, turning it off when absent, but having a fixed bilge pump fed off the live side of the switch.The reason for this I maitain is that no matter how well insulated a cable or piece of equipment is on a boat, electric current will leak in damp wet conditions, causing battery drain and driving electrolisis.You will feel a 12v tingle, some more than others, as peoples resistance (body) will vary, approx 2000 ohms.However with wet hands resistance drops and we feel shocks, especially tro cuts , on tounges, or tro warts for example.If you run equipment badly insulated or with bad connections it is perfectly feasable for electrical paths to be made tro alternative routes, wet hands wet consoles, its called tracking.Try to turn off various bits of equipment to discover the cause of the leak, or try earting the steel part of the wheel assembly to the eng or batt negative, ...........you could also try wearing MARIGOLDS
__________________
www.dublinsislands.com

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2005, 12:30   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Pinner, Middlesex
Boat name: I SHOULD COCOA
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5 hp yam
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 97
shocks

Gavin
How did you find out that you can get a shock through a WART!!

I new an old lady that went out with a soldier during the second WW. He took her to the funfair and kept getting shocks through the nails in the soles of his army boots, on the dodgems!

Ed
__________________
EDDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2005, 15:12   #6
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 835
shocks

Warts like nails etc ar straight into under your skin, where its wet moist etc, I have been shocked on our own boat when I touched a finger wart off a positive point on batt switch.Get a phase taster at home , put it in a socket live, now touch with a finger, no problem, touch with a cut or wart you will get a nasty belt
__________________
www.dublinsislands.com

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2005, 17:22   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 479
Had a similar problem myself last year. No not with warts, but with shocks off the gear lever. It turned out to be the 12v supply wire of the trim switch had chaffed through and was shorting onto the gear lever. It turned out later on to be the cause of a little burn up once the live found a ground!
__________________
Searider - The Best 5.4 x Far
Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2005, 03:47   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Pinner, Middlesex
Boat name: I SHOULD COCOA
Length: under 3m
Engine: 5 hp yam
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 97
Timmo
You havnt got shag pile carpet in your boat have you?
Seem to remember when i wore trainers and touched a door handle!!
Ed
__________________

__________________
EDDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.