Old 14 December 2009, 17:26   #81

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Glad everything worked out fine for you both , with regards to survival bags ect ,and as said by earlier posts the foil type blankets are a pain to use when its windy or on a fast moving open boat ,,,,like trying to wrap the xmas turkey at 30 mph in the back of a pick up truck ,,,,,,there are ok if you have a shelter/ wheelhouse ,,ones that i use are made from a very thin but textured plastic which has some thermal properties and a draw string so it can be pulled around the head like a large sleeping bag ,,i bought half a dozen at a boat jumble £2 each ,think they were ex ships lifeboat, but they dont take up anymore room up when folded than a survival bag ,,,and on the subject of heat loss through the head ,,i was watching a tv program recently where it was mentioned that most of the heat is lost through the head
,,they said its a myth and its about the same loss as through hands or feet ,,,,any how seeing as i am bald i will be keeping me wooly hat on what ever ,
Old 14 December 2009, 17:34   #82

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
Actually i am sat in front the computer with my LJ on.
Yes, I also like to wear my life jacket when browsing Ribnet. I also have recordings of outboards motors running, seaguls screaching and waves crashing which I find greatly adds to the enjoyment.
Old 14 December 2009, 17:39   #83

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Whilst on the subject of life jackets, how many actually carry out regular checks?
After a recent conversation at the Folly Jolly I came home a checked all mine !
Old 14 December 2009, 17:40   #84

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
I also have recordings of outboards motors running, seaguls screaching and waves crashing which I find greatly adds to the enjoyment.
Save yourself a fortune and move to Alderney
Old 14 December 2009, 17:41   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
Save yourself a fortune and move to Alderney
Property cheap on Alderney is it?
Old 14 December 2009, 17:44   #86

Quote:
Property cheap on Alderney is it?
Oh yes, there are some lovely German bunkers that are a real bargain - ripe for a bit of updating and a blank canvas for the keen gardener.

All of that AND free gulls, waves, engines and blood curdling screams from people vying on the slipway.
Old 14 December 2009, 17:47   #87

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Quote:
Yes, I also like to wear my life jacket when browsing Ribnet. I also have recordings of outboards motors running, seaguls screaching and waves crashing which I find greatly adds to the enjoyment. I've tried wearing full wet weather gear and seaboots, but it got a bit hot.
Mate, please dont think i am some nutter taking this RIB lark to extreme, it was just that i was trying to order a re arming kit online and ended up inflating and deflating whilst wearing it.....please believe me!!! No, on a serious note if you haven't played around with the thing i would suggest it, in theory it sounds straight forward until you need to do it for real, then not always so easy!....... oh hang on, i just need to switch my outboard greatest hits over
Old 14 December 2009, 17:57   #88
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpugwash View Post
Hello Polwart, good to hear from you again.
I use radar every working day and have very relevant and practical experience of it and its capabilities.
If you put two orange marker bouys in the water, one with reflective tape and one without, then fine tune your radar to the Fishnet setting (if you have it) then you will see the difference on the screen immediately.
The bouy without will maybe show as a feint signal in calm weather if you are lucky.
However, the bouy with the tape on it bounces back a very strong target signal in most sea states.
When you are in very dense fog this makes life very simple indeed.
Is it time for my whisky yet?
Cap'nPW - that sounds too good to be true! I'd love to believe it but am naturally cynical! So your theory would suggest instead of spending £100+ on a fancy echomax radar reflector I could take say a 2L coke bottle and cover it in strips of scotchlite tape and stick it on the boat and I'd show up no problem at all. I only have an ickle boat so no radar to test it out. Even better I could just add some tape on the inside of my console etc and I'd be better off.

I'm not saying you don't see any enhancement - but from barely visible to very strong? Hopefully someone else will have replicated your findings and I will then investigate using scotchlite to increase my cross section. Is it a particular scotchlite product? I can't see any in their range which claim a radar enhancement - which is surprising? I also don't see how it work (in terms of physics) any better that a similar sized piece of tin foil glued in place - which should be pretty crap.
Old 14 December 2009, 17:57   #89

Quote:
Mate, please dont think i am some nutter taking this RIB lark to extreme......
Yeah, yeah. How's that drysuit feeling this eve? Cozy?

Also joking aside. Roycruse, a member and former ribbing buddy of mine, 'til he flogged his boat, had three of our kids onboard when we took off for the beach one summer. As he was prone to, he dumped his nearly new 585 RC on the beach to dry out. When the tide turned it ended-up being swamped. Our kids had left their auto-inflates in his boat. Two went off one didn't. On inspecting the one that hadn't, I discovered that the gas canister was completely unscrewed from the activator mechanism. A fat lot of use that would've been in an emergency.

So, as said, it is a good idea to periodiclly check safety gear.

PS. One of Roy's went off in a pod. He had a helluva job getting it out.
Old 14 December 2009, 18:01   #90

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Regardless of if mines been in the water I open it and rinse it out with freshwater and crack the gas cylinder and nip it back up.
Old 14 December 2009, 18:05   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
... I could take say a 2L coke bottle and cover it in strips of scotchlite tape and stick it on the boat and I'd show up no problem at all.
I was previously unaware of the possibility that metallic tape could enhance radar returns, but I do now wonder if it might make a real difference in a search and rescue situation?

A lifeboat looking for casualties is going to have the radar ramped up well beyond anything shipping would use, so although the difference in return may be minute it may also be of benefit.
Old 14 December 2009, 18:09   #92

Quote:
I was previously unaware of the possibility that metallic tape could enhance radar returns, but I do now wonder if it might make a real difference in a search and rescue situation?

A lifeboat looking for casualties is going to have the radar ramped up well beyond anything shipping would use, so although the difference in return may be minute it may also be of benefit.
If its got any metal in then it would make some difference.
Old 14 December 2009, 18:19   #93
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

I'm certainly no radar expert - but my understanding is that a flat object (say a square of metal (or foil) like the patches of reflective tape (assuming they are of a type that reflect radar at all) on some l/j's) will reflect the radar in the same way as a mirror reflects light. To show up on the radar screen it needs to be reflected back at the sending station. Just like a mirror with light this can only happen when the surface is exactly perpendicular to the radar in both the horizontal and vertical planes.

If it is on a spherical surface there is always a part of the surface which is perpendicular to the radar - but actually compared to the sphere itself this is only a tiny fraction. On a irregular shaped object the returns will be inconsistent and the automated clutter removal is likely to filter it - although I don't know what "FishNet" mode is - perhaps there is a filter specifically for finding small objects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy
If its got any metal in then it would make some difference.
I think that's too simplistic, in addition to the above "shape" factors the metallic component will need to be bigger that the wavelength of the radar otherwise it should be invisible to the radar.
Old 14 December 2009, 18:22   #94

Quote:
although I don't know what "FishNet" mode is - perhaps there is a filter specifically for finding small objects?
Thats for Stu's "ladies" in Peterhead.
Old 14 December 2009, 18:57   #95

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Makaira
Make: Forge Marine
Length: 7m +
Engine: BMW 50HP
Quote:
I'm certainly no radar expert - but my understanding is that a flat object (say a square of metal (or foil) like the patches of reflective tape (assuming they are of a type that reflect radar at all) on some l/j's) will reflect the radar in the same way as a mirror reflects light. To show up on the radar screen it needs to be reflected back at the sending station. Just like a mirror with light this can only happen when the surface is exactly perpendicular to the radar in both the horizontal and vertical planes.

If it is on a spherical surface there is always a part of the surface which is perpendicular to the radar - but actually compared to the sphere itself this is only a tiny fraction. On a irregular shaped object the returns will be inconsistent and the automated clutter removal is likely to filter it - although I don't know what "FishNet" mode is - perhaps there is a filter specifically for finding small objects?

I think that's too simplistic, in addition to the above "shape" factors the metallic component will need to be bigger that the wavelength of the radar otherwise it should be invisible to the radar.
3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material - SOLAS Grade 3150-A

I have just looked in the store and the actual tape I use is as above. I use the 50mm width and have found it to be superb.
You just need to have a very clean and dry surface when you stick it on.
My current Radar is the JRC Alphatron and this has the Fishnet setting.
If any of you are passing by one day I will be more than happy to take you out to demonstrate the difference.
Old 14 December 2009, 19:15   #96

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Lets just chuck a selection of RIBnet members over the side & see who shows up the strongest on radar depending on what they have stuck to them ? ( assuming they float and have put on an auto inflating jacket........)

All in the name of science and safety ?

PS if not wearing a killcord we wont come back for you ................
Old 14 December 2009, 19:31   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Lets just chuck a selection of RIBnet members over the side & see who shows up the strongest on radar depending on what they have stuck to them ? ( assuming they float and have put on an auto inflating jacket........)

All in the name of science and safety ?
Can I pick them?
Old 14 December 2009, 19:42   #98

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Makaira
Make: Forge Marine
Length: 7m +
Engine: BMW 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Can I pick them?
I like the plan chaps. I have not done a MOB drill yet this month.
Old 14 December 2009, 20:07   #99

Quote:
I like the plan chaps. I have not done a MOB drill yet this month.
Can we choose who recover too.
I told JK we needed a polling option on here!
Old 14 December 2009, 20:23   #100

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
3M™ Scotchlite™ Reflective Material - SOLAS Grade 3150-A

You just need to have a very clean and dry surface when you stick it on.
My current Radar is the JRC Alphatron and this has the Fishnet setting.
If any of you are passing by one day I will be more than happy to take you out to demonstrate the difference.
I'm up for it, I'll be tugging (on the pull) again Jan/feb and it'll me in Europe. Willemshaven is a great port and we like to run their for weather cover if we can.

Chewy, they are not my ladies I was merely indiccating to Gt5 (ive upgraded him, cos hes fond of the throttle) the options available if he needed a squeeze that didn't feel the cold.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote