Old 09 May 2012, 20:28   #21

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishAvon View Post
Im picking it up tomorrow. Finally the bloke came good but it was touch and go.

I will post some pictures tomorrow when I get it for all to see. I imagine you guys all have a lot better than me but its a start in the right direction. All I need now is some company for my first maiden voyage in case I cock something up/breakdown.....

Anybody out in Devon over the next couple of weeks and fancies a pint or 2?

Talk tomorrow

Cheers
Is the pint or two during the run out lol....
Old 09 May 2012, 20:34   #22

Engine: etec 40
Glad it all went through,I will be heading out of plymouth on sunday if the weather stays as forecast!
Old 10 May 2012, 07:22   #23

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornishAvon View Post
Anybody out in Devon over the next couple of weeks and fancies a pint or 2?
We're heading from Salcombe to Cornwall somewhere on Saturday in this -

Wave if you see us!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 18:23   #24

Length: no boat
OK Update

Got the boat and very pleased with it. The atmosphere was a bit frosty. Think he felt embarrassed considering the hassle he caused me!

Matt H - got a load of documents with it and spotted your name on one of them. Could not resist saying I was surprised you had not contacted him to buy it! You should have seen the look on his face - priceless. Thanks for all your help guys. Now all I need to do is get some pics and get her wet! Any advice on Polly steps? Looks straight forward on google maps?

Will post photos soon. Chewy, probably a pint before, during and after lol

Cheers
Old 10 May 2012, 19:43   #25

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Nice one, glad its all sorted. Is this the one from up at Fleet by any chance?
Old 10 May 2012, 19:51   #26

Im not sure Ed

It used to belong to Matt H.

Ed have you come across Blackness Marine? Any good/secure?

Cheers.
Old 10 May 2012, 20:00   #27

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Possibly not the best idea to drink before your first trip out .....
Old 10 May 2012, 20:05   #28

You're quite right. Perhaps a mineral water for now. ;-)
Old 10 May 2012, 20:35   #29

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
So Cornish for those that took an interest in this can you tell us what the communication delay and breakdown was all about?
Old 10 May 2012, 21:05   #30

Sure

A top bloke on here had offered him more money should the sale fall through. The seller informed said top bloke that I had not contacted him and was willing to sell to him for more money!!

Thankfully that "TB" had seen this thread and informed me about the offer outside of ebay and the seller stating I had not contacted him despite me winning the auction and writing 2 emails a day to the seller requesting he contact me to arrange pick up/payment etc...

I got hold of his telephone number, (thanks Peter b&o) despite him not giving it to me and having requested twice and gave him mine, phoned his wife and discussed it with her. She seemed OK about it all and said it was all go! I imagine the change of heart was down to "TB" not rocking up with the increased offer (appreciate his integrity otherwise I may not have got the boat)

I have not mentioned "TB"s name as Ive not spoken to him today - but many thanks for all your help.

Well thats the long winded version and hopefully ive not sent any glass eyes to sleep.

I like ebay and have used it many many times but just now and again you come across a chancer who messes it up for everybody.. It turned out OK this time but who knows - if it was not for this great forum I probably would have lost that boat.

Thanks everybody for your help and support. Now to the engine section for all of my stupid newbie questions!
Old 10 May 2012, 21:15   #31

Town: Plymouth
I'm lost.... Who's the "TB" then ?

At least you know the engines not been cooked though. Did you ask to see the invoice for the repair work that he claimed was carried out, causing the delay ? That would have been interesting

How much more was he prepared to mug you off for ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 10 May 2012, 21:19   #32

Hi Peter

Yep I asked for that but funny old thing the story changed there and then - new version was impeller was fine and only the battery terminal had come loose! Wait till he sees my feedback Im going to leave for him. Talk about "BS"!

As you say at least motors not been cooked. Ran it up and let it idle for 5 mins. Sweet as a sweet thing.

He had been offered 1500 more!
Old 10 May 2012, 21:28   #33

Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
£1500 is a lot more, I think most folks could live with the negative feedback!
Old 10 May 2012, 21:32   #34

Fine agreed its more money and if that sits well with you stiffing the guy who used ebay the way it was designed then go ahead. I believe if he wanted more then use the reserve system - I would have paid more for it and left him positive feedback! I think a neg on only 40 sales would hurt but thats only my opinion.

Come to think of it - you didnt own a lovely ex fisheries searider did you ;-)
Old 10 May 2012, 21:33   #35

Town: Plymouth
Quite a significant amount then. On one hand you could argue that if he didn't have the offer he wouldn't have had the temptation, don't get me wrong he should have honoured the selling price or used a reserve/buy now etc but if somebody had emailed him saying ill give you £1500 more if you sell to me instead it gives him something to think on. If they had just said I'll buy it if it falls through he'd have had no incentive to even contemplate pulling out.

The other "buyer" could have placed his bid to win it fair and square in the first place ? Just shows its a tough old world!

In this situation I have emailed sellers of boats that went before I spotted them but I only offer the same price should it fall through so there's no temptation for them to start some kind of Dutch auction. I have offered to pay £50 just to get first refusal if the buyer pulls out but I'd not offer more to break the original commitment. If the original buyer takes it I lose my £50, chance I take.

Still it worked out in the end for you. Why not sell it to the other guy for the £1,500 more he originally offered

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 10 May 2012, 21:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards
Quite a significant amount then. On one hand you could argue that if he didn't have the offer he wouldn't have had the temptation, don't get me wrong he should have honoured the selling price or used a reserve/buy now etc but if somebody had emailed him saying ill give you £1500 more if you sell to me instead it gives him something to think on. If they had just said I'll buy it if it falls through he'd have had no incentive to even contemplate pulling out.

The other "buyer" could have placed his bid to win it fair and square in the first place ? Just shows its a tough old world!

In this situation I have emailed sellers of boats that went before I spotted them but I only offer the same price should it fall through so there's no temptation for them to start some kind of Dutch auction. I have offered to pay £50 just to get first refusal if the buyer pulls out but I'd not offer more to break the original commitment. If the original buyer takes it I lose my £50, chance I take.

Still it worked out in the end for you. Why not sell it to the other guy for the £1,500 more he originally offered

A much more mature and honest way of doing business for sure.

I understand the temptation and as Tomkat correctly pointed out 1500 is a lot more - just don't like being lied too - took the shine off my new purchase but I will get over it. And after all as Tomkat said im sure he will live with his negative feedback - but why does he have too? I would have paid more and left him positive feedback!

Im not getting beat up over this - I'm happy - got the boat at a price lower than I was prepared to pay and will just move on.

Thanks guys
Old 10 May 2012, 21:46   #37

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks for rounding off the story Cornish. I've made contact after auctions a few times over the years but like Peter just say if the sale falls through I'll buy at the price.

Do you know I'd not attach any bad feeling to this deal by giving a neg... you got the boat you wanted and it sounds like it was less than you bid so it's all good. It's the seller that's "lost" in the end after forum help.
Old 10 May 2012, 21:49   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander
Thanks for rounding off the story Cornish. I've made contact after auctions a few times over the years but like Peter just say if the sale falls through I'll buy at the price.

Do you know I'd not attach any bad feeling to this deal by giving a neg... you got the boat you wanted and it sounds like it was less than you bid so it's all good. It's the seller that's "lost" in the end after forum help.
Fenlander

You're absolutely right and well said. On that advice I probably wont bother leaving any feedback. Im just going get in the water as soon as I can and start enjoying the new toy.

See you out on the water hopefully
Old 10 May 2012, 22:48   #39
Dhf

Good to hear it all worked out well, And your certainly right, Not let any bygone issues eat you up with bitterness, You can just concentrate now on having great safe fun, I only commented earlier because I had a similar thing happen to me with a vehicle, Won the bid fair and square, tryed contacting for pick up...no replies...then presto, Guy phones me saying his father had sold it that afternoon, not knowing son had listed on the bay,
No worries because a week later a much better vehicle came along, I call it fate, Never did leave feedback.
Have fun.
Old 11 May 2012, 02:35   #40

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I recently left neutral feedback on a car I bought, it was meant to have been well serviced looked after etc and he was selling it n behalf of his friend who had maintained it.
Anyway, I got a shitty email saying I wouldn't I wouldn't have said them things to him face to face and its nothing to do with him. I explained to the seller I wasn't willing to travel back to Bristol to see him but if he wanted he was more than welcome to visit me and if he fancied he could stay and make a weekend of it, needless to say I haven't heard anything else from him!