Old 08 October 2012, 20:49   #21

Length: 7m +
Seems like i stirred up a bit of a storm. To put my position straight yes i agree plenty of idiots in all types of boats it just happens that i use my rib a lot and 97% of all jet skiers i see are acting like idiots, my opinion from experence. The other 3 % are great and i want to hug them. LOL
Old 08 October 2012, 21:18   #22
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Seems like i stirred up a bit of a storm. To put my position straight yes i agree plenty of idiots in all types of boats it just happens that i use my rib a lot and 97% of all jet skiers i see are acting like idiots, my opinion from experence. The other 3 % are great and i want to hug them. LOL
Seconded-see my letter of complaint to PHC a couple of years ago.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/jetskier...ole-35405.html

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 October 2012, 06:02   #23

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Hi

well I think its more like 99% of jet skiers/ bikers and I will also add that a few should also locked up.

1: we dont buzz around other boaters and anoy them as it is simpley just bad manners

2: We do not think the fact that they can do a doughnut makes them cool and am not impressed with any of their other moves so why when there is a huge area for them to use them do they need to do it near me.? I would also add the the buzzing sound they make is also very annoying
3: On places like loch lomond it is amazing how these idiots ignore speed limits that are there for a reason
4: Due to number 2 there have been more and more accidents with this ***** buzzing canoes with their wakes and even worse hitting swimmers and this is normally serious / fatal as it tends to be their heads.

so if they do it away from me and don't put others at risk along with obeying the laws of the waterways then great I hope they all have a lot of safe fun. Sadly that is very very few from what I have seen.
Old 09 October 2012, 08:09   #24
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Seconded-see my letter of complaint to PHC a couple of years ago.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/jetskier...ole-35405.html
Love the DH-M's turn of phrase:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poole Deputy HM
Dear Mr *****
Thank you for your letter and complaint re PWs misbehaving at Baiter slipway.
PWs have been a problem in the Harbour since their arrival and every effort is made to moderate the over enthusiasm that mars the behaviour of even the most law-abiding PW rider.
We are hampered at present by the lack of our own PW, with the ability to pursue these craft on their own terms, although we hope to have a replacement shortly, but a telephone call to Harbour Control, 01202 440230, or a complaint to our PW permit salesperson and a request for help should bring a patrol craft onto the scene on weekday afternoons and all day at weekends.
The (usually) young man on duty at the hut is tasked with issuing PW permits and educating the applicants as to what is allowed and what is not. He always directs them towards the PW area off Brownsea or to the open sea, and warns them about their behaviour and the presence of patrol craft. His function is not to discipline offenders, but to educate and call for a patrol boat if there is need.
There are always new riders each season as this form of amusement is rather expensive and has a time limit for interest.
The main reason for making a nuisance of themselves around the slipway is to burn up remaining fuel before recovering the PW, hence they stay close. A word from a patrol craft usually calms them down a little, and I can only suppose that our man in the hut was not aware of the degree of nuisance being caused.
We will put a little more time in around Baiter with our patrols until the new riders are more aware
It sounds like he too think's they're a bunch of terwats.
Old 09 October 2012, 13:09   #25

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
Don't quite a few slipways require evidence of PWC training? Littlehampton Harbour Board does.

This would seem to be a good way to deter the 'buy a jetski from eBay on Friday and launch on Saturday' people; if they are committed to doing things properly rather than on a whim, an additional outlay on training won't be an obstacle and would expect the training will include consideration of other water users.

Don't get me started on the subject of 16 yr old lads on 'chicken chaser' scooters....
Old 09 October 2012, 13:18   #26

Town: Plymouth
Why shouldn't you be allowed to buy a Jetski (from eBay or Dealer for that matter) on a Friday and launch the next day with no training ? You can with any other high performance rib or speed boat so why should it be any different ?

Don't get me wrong, I think you should require at least some kind of basic training and this should become a legal requirement but it should be across the board, not just singling out one specific sector because we don't like them!

If a Jetski has to show paperwork to launch, so should a Rib!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 09 October 2012, 13:34   #27

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Why shouldn't you be allowed to buy a Jetski (from eBay or Dealer for that matter) on a Friday and launch the next day with no training ? You can with any other high performance rib or speed boat so why should it be any different ?

Don't get me wrong, I think you should require at least some kind of basic training and this should become a legal requirement but it should be across the board, not just singling out one specific sector because we don't like them!

If a Jetski has to show paperwork to launch, so should a Rib!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Totally agree.
Old 09 October 2012, 14:36   #28

Town: Littlehampton, W Sx
Length: no boat
MMSI: 235101591
I suspect it is not based upon whether they are 'liked' or not but that one group is disproportionately responsible for complaints about speed, noise, inconsiderate behaviour, etc., that, unfortunately, leads to a whole group being tarred with the same brush because that is the only means to constrain the problematic minority. I.e., that not all PWC users cause problems but that a lot of problems are caused by PWC users and there is no means by which the subset of 'problem users' can be identified amongst the whole group.

Last year an idiot posted on YouTube footage of his boat doing 70 mph down the River Arun (6.5 kt limit). A few other occurrences of that sort of thing and it wouldn't be a surprise if boat users became subjected to similar constraints as users of PWCs.

The same thinking that results in the statements on car insurance websites to the effect of "We do not insure Citroen Saxos, so don't even ask" or beaches being made dog-free because a minority don't clear up after their animals.

Unfortunately, such rules never go away - once put in place they stay in place.

Identify any one group of people and there will be a small minority of idiots amongst them (well, maybe not Saab drivers!)
Old 14 October 2012, 08:39   #29

I popped into cobbs quay marina office today expecting to pick up a nice mooring rope i had left with the jetski couple who i had rescued and was being used to secure there ski to a mooring cleat near the slipway. After i dropped them back at baiters in my car i asked them when they picked the jetski back up to leave the rope in the marina office for me to pick up this weekend. There is no sign of the rope.

So i rescued them, towed them to cobbs which cut my time outbin my boat by half, bloody runied my day, secured there jet ski and gave them a car lift to baiter and they coild not be bothered to return the mooring rope. I am well unimpressed. I will track them down eventually as i know what there car looks like.
Old 14 October 2012, 09:45   #30
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I popped into cobbs quay marina office today expecting to pick up a nice mooring rope i had left with the jetski couple who i had rescued and was being used to secure there ski to a mooring cleat near the slipway. After i dropped them back at baiters in my car i asked them when they picked the jetski back up to leave the rope in the marina office for me to pick up this weekend. There is no sign of the rope.

So i rescued them, towed them to cobbs which cut my time outbin my boat by half, bloody runied my day, secured there jet ski and gave them a car lift to baiter and they coild not be bothered to return the mooring rope. I am well unimpressed. I will track them down eventually as i know what there car looks like.
That's why I now only ever tow ebay boaters to the nearest safe shore. I'll happily stop them drowning but I'm damned if I'll pay fuel from my own pocket to protect their investment.

Old 14 October 2012, 10:08   #31
RIBnet Supporter

I'm not sure I'd tow "ebay" boaters anywhere.

A genuine boater with a genuine problem*, sure, why not? The others not so much. As I've said before, I carry a Mars bar for Emergencies such as this - so the casualty won't starve while the RNLI get there

* I was watching a POS scow launch recently in a huge cloud of chaos. It was the original clusterf***, blue rope all over the place. No lifejackets either - no one had a clue. And Lo!, they attached a Aux engine (with lanyard) and headed out to sea - "phew!" thinks I, I can relax now...

Then the Aux fell off and they drifted onto the shore while they effed about!
Old 14 October 2012, 10:45   #32
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

A genuine boater with a genuine problem*, sure, why not? The others not so much. As I've said before, I carry a Mars bar for Emergencies such as this - so the casualty won't starve while the RNLI get there

* I was watching a POS scow launch recently in a huge cloud of chaos. It was the original clusterf***, blue rope all over the place. No lifejackets either - no one had a clue. And Lo!, they attached a Aux engine (with lanyard) and headed out to sea - "phew!" thinks I, I can relax now...

Then the Aux fell off and they drifted onto the shore while they effed about!
To clarify, the last one I towed in was a 200 yard tow into Shell Bay after they broke down in Poole Harbour entrance during the rush after the bridge opened. It'll have taken them a long time to go back and get the trailer as it was the wrong side of the ferry and no public slipways over there.

Old 14 October 2012, 10:53   #33

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:

Great attitude Willk. Just ask yourself this: What would Jesus do? Or Judge Judy for that matter.
Old 14 October 2012, 11:18   #34
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Just ask yourself this
Do you want the Mars bar or not, mate?
Old 14 October 2012, 11:47   #35

Quote:
Do you want the Mars bar or not, mate?
Have you got any Milky Bars?
Old 14 October 2012, 11:48   #36

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
Legal Obligation to Provide Assistance

This is an extract from https://digital.lib.washington.edu/d...pdf?sequence=1

From this I understand you have a legal obligation to provide assistance at sea (whatever sea is). What form this assistance takes will vary depending on circumstances.

If you see a jet skier in trouble my understanding is that if you take them onboard they have abandoned their vessel which is then available for salvage. See Law of salvage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia however I don't believe a jet ski in a harbour would be covered by this but would be in an open sea. Probably best to get them on board then ask if they want you to take them to the nearest point of safety for free or somewhere else for costs and by the way do you do they also want you to take their vessel in tow.

II. INTERNATIONAL SOURCES OF THE OBLIGATION TO ASSIST
Three international conventions impose a duty to provide assistance to
those in distress at sea. First, and most significant given the number of
countries that are party to it, is the Safety of Life at Sea Convention
(SOLAS), Ch. V, Regulation 10(a),8 which provides:

The master of a ship at sea which is in a position to be able to
provide assistance, on receiving a signal from any source that
persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed
to their assistance, if possible informing them or the search and
rescue service that the ship is doing so.
As of August 15, 2002, 146 countries had adopted SOLAS, 9 including all
major flag of convenience countries.10
Regulation 10(a) purports to impose an obligation directly on the
shipmaster. However, in some countries, treaty provisions do not have
direct effect and so must be implemented by legislation.1 Some countries
that are parties to SOLAS may not have passed implementing legislation,'
and others may have implemented the obligation in a different form than it
appears in Regulation 10(a). Even in countries such as the United States,
7 The International Maritime Organization is conducting a review of international conventions with
the goal of ensuring that persons in distress at sea or other emergency situations are "promptly and
effectively delivered to a place of safety, regardless of their nationality and status or the circumstances in
which they are found." Tampa Incident Prompts Review of Refugee and Asylum Issues, IMO NEWS, Issue
4 2001, at 6. The I.M.O. response is considered by Frederick J. Kenney, Jr., & Vasilios Tasikas, The Tampa Incident. IMO Perspectives and Responses on the Treatment of Persons Rescued at Sea, 12 Pac.
Rim L. & Pol'y J. 143 (2003).
8 International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, Nov. 1, 1974, 32 U.S.T. 47, T.I.A.S. No.
9700, 164 U.N.T.S. 113 as amended (entered into force May 25, 1980) [hereinafter SOLAS], reprinted in
6D BENEDICT, supra note 3, Doc. No. 14-1.
9 Summary of Status of Conventions,
http://www.imo.org/Conventions/mainf...p?topic-id=247 (last visited Nov. 2, 2002) [hereinafter
Status of IMO Conventions].
1o All seven major flag of convenience countries (see supra note 2) are parties to SOLAS. Status of
Conventions-Complete List, at http://www.imo.org/Conventions/mainframe.asp?topic id=248 (last visited
Nov. 3, 2002).
11 Australia is an example. See infra note 128 and accompanying text.
12 Australia appears to be an example of this, too. See infra notes 130-132 and accompanying text.
Where treaties can have direct effect,' 3 Regulation 10(a) may require
implementing legislation. 14
Another treaty provision relating to the duty to assist is found in the
U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), Article 98(l), 1" which
provides:
Every state shall require the master of a ship flying its flag, in
so far as he can do so without serious danger to the ship, the
crew or the passengers ... to render assistance to any person
found at sea in danger of being lost ... and to proceed with all
possible speed to the rescue of persons in distress, if informed
of their need for assistance, in so far as such action may
reasonably be expected of him.' 6
As of May 31, 2002, 138 countries had adopted UNCLOS, 17 including all
major flag of convenience countries except Liberia.18
Even in countries where treaties can have direct effect, 19 Article 98(1)
requires implementing legislation in order to acquire the force of law,
because it is addressed to states, not individuals.20 As noted above, some
countries that are party to UNCLOS may not have yet passed implementing
!eg.risatinn, despite their treaty obligation to do so.

Thirdly, the International Convention on Salvage 1989 ("Salvage
Convention") provides:

1. Every master is bound, so far as he can do so without
serious danger to his vessel and persons thereon, to render
assistance to any person in danger of being lost at sea.
2. The States Parties shall adopt the measures necessary to
enforce the duty set out in paragraph 1.
3. The owner of the vessel shall incur no liability for a
breach of the duty of the master under paragraph 1.21
As of July 30, 2002, forty countries had adopted the Salvage
Convention.22 The duty to render assistance under Article 10.1 of the
Salvage Convention cannot exist when the ship encounters a person in
danger of being lost at sea. The Convention only applies when "judicial or
arbitral proceedings relating to matters dealt with in this Convention are
brought in a State Party., 23 If the duty to render assistance does exist, it
exists only in inchoate form. For example, if a salvage arbitration or lawsuit
is subsequently brought in a Salvage Convention country, the application of
that country's implementation of the obligation is subsequently confirmed.
If no salvage proceedings are brought, the Salvage Convention never comes
into operation in relation to the incident. Thus, in many cases of ships
encountering refugees or asylum seekers needing assistance at sea, the duty
to assist under the Salvage Convention would not be applicable.
Old 14 October 2012, 12:00   #37

A couple of years ago the captain of a Belgian trawler got slammed in the European courts for not assisting a yacht in the North Sea despite being within shouting distance. The weather was horrendous and it was clear that the yacht was in danger. I think there's actually a video of the incident on YouTube somewhere.
Old 14 October 2012, 12:08   #38
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
From this I understand you have a legal obligation to provide assistance at sea (whatever sea is). What form this assistance takes will vary depending on circumstances............ Probably best to get them on board then ask if they want you to take them to the nearest point of safety for free or somewhere else for costs and by the way do you do they also want you to take their vessel in tow.
Yes, or give them a Mars Bar and "stand by" until the RNLI get there. Unless you're "pro" then charging them costs lands you in the poo later. Telling an Ebay boater that you're having their craft will most likely land you in the poo instantly
Old 14 October 2012, 12:29   #39

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 60 outboard
Other option is to give them a tow.... Normally an old seadoo towed over 15mph will fill with water and eventually sink.
Old 14 October 2012, 12:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_st View Post
Other option is to give them a tow.... Normally an old seadoo towed over 15mph will fill with water and eventually sink.
I'm not sure they'll sink, but the water will back flow into the cylinders via the exhaust. Even on my 2012 Waverunner you have to clamp the water intake before towing the ski.