Old 14 October 2012, 14:29   #41
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Having twice had to take advantage of a tow (before I entered the rib world), I tend to thing what goes around comes around and I'm happy to tow someone if I can do so safely (otherwise I'm happy, as I think Willk is suggesting, to do my best to make sure nobody dies whilst getting more appropriate help).

I've towed one boat (a very short distance), and given one guy a lift (by sea) back to his car and trailer after his boat broke down. In both cases neither boat was really suitable for towing (no secure fittings, generally unseaworthy, no lifejackets etc).

There are a lot of myths about salvage. Its unlikely that a typical rib offering to tow a jet ski or other small craft to the nearest safe haven, in usual leisure boating conditions, has a substantial claim.
Old 14 October 2012, 14:55   #42

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
I'd like to think that we're all sharing the water & enjoying it in different ways !! There's always going to be the idiots wherever you enjoy your leisure time. Personally I wouldn't set off without VHF/flares lifejackets for everyone etc etc as I'd never forgive myself if anything happened to the kids or anyone else. There will no doubt be a few RIB idiots on the go but I wouldn't want to risk not helping someone obviously struggling in the water wether on a jetski or other watercraft even if they are muppets. On the plus side it lets the RNLI get on with the real rescues & not waste time on badly prepared individuals.
You never know when your own disaster might happen even with the best preparation !
Old 15 October 2012, 16:27   #43

Length: 7m +
I posted a post on the PWC forum this morning, guess what just had a call from my marina who stated a chap has just come in and left a mooring line for me, so a week late but at least I now have it returned. I wonder if my post on the PWC forum did the trick !

The power of forums and name and shame !

LOL
Old 15 October 2012, 21:34   #44

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Ninky nonk
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha
I think non of us started off as salty the sea dog but our experience is what backs up the overpowering drive towards safety.people underestimate the sea and sometimes you have to learn by your mistakes we've all been there I would support mandatory pleasure craft registration number plate type system required for mooring buying selling insuring etc and a theory test at least to prove you understand enough about navigation to get you home. If I was faced with the that situation I would have made them safe and called sea start as you can join on the day and left them to it.
Old 16 October 2012, 06:42   #45

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm81 View Post
I think non of us started off as salty the sea dog but our experience is what backs up the overpowering drive towards safety.people underestimate the sea and sometimes you have to learn by your mistakes we've all been there I would support mandatory pleasure craft registration number plate type system required for mooring buying selling insuring etc and a theory test at least to prove you understand enough about navigation to get you home. If I was faced with the that situation I would have made them safe and called sea start as you can join on the day and left them to it.
I suppose I could have towed them to a mooring buoy or lobster pot marker and tied there jet ski on to it and called RNLI or Sea Start but that wasnt an option, when the weather is cold and windy like it is in the UK it doesn't take long for two people floating about in leisure type of wetsuits to get hyperthermic and I could see they were allready a bit cold, plus I had to tow them somewhere as they were driting towards training bank and that would have hurt.
Old 16 October 2012, 07:38   #46

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Presumably , if you tow a broken PWC back to shore and have thrown them a line to attach, you have a legal salvage claim if needed?
Personally I would rather tow them and their craft to safety and hope that they would do the right thing by me, rather than mess about taking them but not their craft, it seems rather petty. If it couldn't be towed then obviously the next best option would be to tie it off on something and get the people ashore.
Old 16 October 2012, 08:05   #47

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
I doubt any of us would (a) just tow someone to a bouy and leave them there, (b) claim salvage. I've towed loads of people with my rib and even my jet ski and never thought anything of it.
Old 16 October 2012, 09:24   #48

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
That whole "throw a line and claim salvage" thing is an old wives tale I'm afraid

Sent from my portable speaking device using Rib.net
Old 16 October 2012, 10:23   #49

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
I would rather tow them in rather than start transferring persons onto my boat out at sea unless they are suffering the effects of cold ,
It's bad enough taking on the responsibility of towing someone else's craft but when they are on your boat too or you trying to transfer persons you have a greater responsibility to your own boat & crew especially if there's not enough lifejackets to then go around for everyone .

I remember one of our elderly club members picking up some piss heads that had floated off on a toy inflatable and getting blown into a shipping channel only to finish up when he took them onboard to start messing around in his boat and giving him a load of abuse !
Old 16 October 2012, 14:56   #50

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
I remember one of our elderly club members picking up some piss heads that had floated off on a toy inflatable and getting blown into a shipping channel only to finish up when he took them onboard to start messing around in his boat and giving him a load of abuse !
Just shows that no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 16 October 2012, 19:58   #51

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
It's bad enough taking on the responsibility of towing someone else's craft
If the vessel in question has a VHF then your best shouting them on CH16 and asking them to accept responsibility for the tow, that way if you do sink em they should be a recording of it on CH16.

The above is what we're told to do with the RNLI, if the vessel to be towed doesn't have a VHF we lend em the handheld.
Old 17 October 2012, 18:40   #52
RIBnet supporter

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Cait
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Opti
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Telling an Ebay boater that you're having their craft will most likely land you in the poo instantly
Not if you happen to have a wheel brace onboard!

Standard boating equipment!!
Old 17 October 2012, 20:28   #53

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
Whilst we are discussing PWCs, this looks fun

GIBBS Quadski to launch in U.S. next month