Old 03 June 2014, 08:47   #1

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
eBay issue

Yet another thread about the dreaded eBay

Exactly 2 months ago I sold an ECU for a Yam F60, buyer paid, I posted and everything went fine until now.

The buyer has opened an "item not as described" case against me stating that the unit is duff, now I know the unit is not a dud as I tried it on my own F60 and it worked perfectly.

How long can he have the item before moaning about it, for all I know he's used it and a fault in the engine has caused it to blow. I'm reluctant to offer a refund as I'm pretty sure he will send me back his old unit and I didn't mark the one I sent him. What's the chance of it being something else wrong in the engine and he's blaming the ECU?

I feel that I'm about to have my pants pulled down and can't do anything about it.

What's the point in being as honest as you can about an item and getting shafted for it.

'Kin hate eBay!

Anyone got previous of this kind of thing?
Old 03 June 2014, 08:52   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Yet another thread about the dreaded eBay

Exactly 2 months ago I sold an ECU for a Yam F60, buyer paid, I posted and everything went fine until now.

The buyer has opened an "item not as described" case against me stating that the unit is duff, now I know the unit is not a dud as I tried it on my own F60 and it worked perfectly.

How long can he have the item before moaning about it, for all I know he's used it and a fault in the engine has caused it to blow. I'm reluctant to offer a refund as I'm pretty sure he will send me back his old unit and I didn't mark the one I sent him. What's the chance of it being something else wrong in the engine and he's blaming the ECU?

I feel that I'm about to have my pants pulled down and can't do anything about it.

What's the point in being as honest as you can about an item and getting shafted for it.

'Kin hate eBay!

Anyone got previous of this kind of thing?
I thought that there was a 40day limit on ebay returns, I think that 2 months after the fact is unreasonable. Ask your self, why did he want the unit in the first place? Maybe he has a fault with his engine that fried the original unit & the same fault has nuked yours. I'd refuse a refund.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2014, 08:54   #3

RIBase
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.

I mean how often to you replace an ECU on a relatively new motor...?

Unless you own an ETEC

Old 03 June 2014, 09:14   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

Unless you own an ETEC

......& here's me trying to help Just had a look & it seems that the time limit for raising a dispute is 30 days, tell him to feck orf.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2014, 09:35   #5

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and have sympathy for your problem. I was caught out by a dishonest lying toe rag of a buyer when I sold a spare door lock for a Range Rover.

The vast majority of transactions go smoothly (I have a 500+ rating and just 2 issues) but if a buyer wants to be an arse, even if you have done everything right, there is not a lot you can do about it.

Although I knew the part I sold was working perfectly, he claimed it was broken. He returned it under the seller protection policy, except he actualy returned a tin of beans, and they were not even Heinz After a lot of emails, he got his refund and I lost the selling price, the postage and the lock. At the time I was really angry, with time I have accepted its just the cost of selling on ebay. I would be a lot worse off without ebay, so I accept every now and again I will get my pants pulled down.

What I dont understand is how he has managed to raise a case ? If its outside the 30 days from payment he should not be able to do it. Is it a case through resolution centre or is it a personal ebay message ?

If its just a message, email him back saying the part was 100% and then ignore him . If its through the resolution centre, contact them immediately to find out why he has been allowed to raise a problem so long after it was sold, dont ignore them, they will simply take the money back from you anyway.

Good luck, I hate tossers and what he is trying to do is basically theft in my book.

P.S. I have an Etec bought new in 2006, the decals are looking a little faded, can I send it back for a full refund ;-)
Old 03 June 2014, 09:41   #6

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
your being done. communicate with ebay and voice your concerns or call his bluff and say you marked the inside (if that's poss) but don't tell him where. hopefully he will just disappear.
Old 03 June 2014, 09:57   #7

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Ebay recently reduced the time for raising a dispute from 60 to 30 days.
You would have to check to see when that came into effect, before or after the date of your sale.
I have been "robbed" twice in much the same way just before the old 60day limit. I spoke with Ebay, I tried calm reason, I ranted and raved but they still froze the Paypal funds and all the buyers had to do was state they had posted the items back to my address! I had no choice but to refund.

Ebay and Paypal will always side with the buyer regardless.
Old 03 June 2014, 10:26   #8

Town: Gillingham
Boat name: Harrys Game
Make: Avon WB 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha F50
Get any money that you have in a Paypal account out, refuse refund as just not acceptable and if all else fails close your account and open a new one. OK you will be rated zero but this bloke is just taking the p*** Regards Jim.
Old 03 June 2014, 12:23   #9

RIBase
eBay issue

The case is through the Resolution centre.

Just had an email saying the previous ECU was stolen, he cleaned the VST, added fresh fuel and it wouldn't start thus the ECU being duff. Prick. He says he's sent it to an "authorised Yamaha dealer" and they are going to take a look at it.

I've asked for the name, address and phone number of said dealer in my response, il see where it goes.

Il get in touch with eBay just now.

If it was 20 bucks I'd cough up just to avoid the hassle but its over a hundred quid.

I hate somebody getting "one up" on me when you know they are lying.

Here's the email...

Hi! My motor have no faults. The ECU have been stolen and the motor was working good, cleaned VST, fresh fuel and doen't work. Today took the ECU to a autorized Yamaha dealer and they will test it on F60 they have. They asked me if the ECU have been submerged because have some signs of corrosion.
Old 03 June 2014, 12:50   #10

RIBase
Been in touch with eBay, apparently the buyer got in touch with their Buyer Protection Dept and got them to override the 45 day thing.

The bloke at the other end of the phone asked me, as this was my first case, to show some proof that the unit was working and if I couldn't it would make my defence weak and I should just refund this twat the money.

It's not looking good.
Old 03 June 2014, 12:56   #11

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
They always side with the buyer

Have you got any video of your F60 running ? Even video of it on a boat ? Failing that has anyone on the forum got video of any F60 running prior to when you sold the ECU ?

Might as well make it difficult for the little knob, although he does appear to have a good grasp of mechanics, after all if the engine isnt starting, it must be the ECU
Old 03 June 2014, 13:03   #12

RIBase
I've got another F60 here that I tried said ECU on.
Old 03 June 2014, 13:12   #13

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Is this the ECU I wanted to buy and travelled to Fort William to view running on the F60, but in the end didn't win the auction?

Such a tw@t!

How have eBay just changed the policy for him?
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2014, 13:16   #14

RIBase
That's the very ECU! I forgot you looked at it

Apparently he said that he hadn't had a chance to fit the part to his engine before now and had only got round to it.
Old 03 June 2014, 13:29   #15

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Alan apart from the problem his language is a bit suspect!! Have you not got footage from ERR? If u don't put the word out somebody will have you outing along.

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 June 2014, 13:36   #16

RIBase
Is he at a UK address? Perhaps someone local could call round and have a 'look'
Old 03 June 2014, 13:38   #17

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
The bloke at the other end of the phone asked me, as this was my first case, to show some proof that the unit was working and if I couldn't it would make my defence weak and I should just refund this twat the money.
It's not looking good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
Is this the ECU I wanted to buy and travelled to Fort William to view running on the F60, but in the end didn't win the auction?
No its looking good - if Steve gives you an affidavit that he travelled and viewed the ECU working - that is your proof - happy days
Old 03 June 2014, 14:12   #18

RIBase
eBay issue

Billy, the unit is off a seized F60 I had, I had a pair of them, I swapped the ecu on to the good F60 so i know its pucka. It's not the Mariners I had at ERR.

Steve. The lads name is Fransisco Costa, ironically his eBay name is Gonzo! Postal addy was CRFS LTD, Cambridge Research Park, Cambridge. Going by his grasp of the English language he's definitely not a native.
Old 03 June 2014, 14:15   #19

RIBase
Cambridge is a little far, but i am shocked its in the UK from his reply to you.
Old 03 June 2014, 15:52   #20

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
did you say it was working or "as is".