Old 07 April 2008, 17:50   #1

Town: New Forrest
Length: no boat
East coast of scotland

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum but have been browsin round for a while now . I am hoping to start at Edinburgh uni in september and will be probably getin a rib up there . I am used to playing round on my parents boat in salcombe and i cant wait to have a boat of my own.

I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to keep it in the watar that is near edinburgh so that i can get to it on the public transport. Also, hwo is the east coast for cruising n generally havin fun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Max
Old 07 April 2008, 17:56   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Firstly Max, welcome to Ribnet. Almost all of the harbours in the Forth area dry during low tide. The only marina is Port Edgar which is next to and almost under the Forth road bridge. If you don't keep it there, you'll need to be happy about leaving it to take the ground at part tides or store it on a trailer. A few places have moorings but you'll need a method of getting to your boat and most of them are on the Fife (north) side of the Forth so not easily accessible from Edinburgh.
Old 07 April 2008, 18:46   #3

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Or you could try Granton as another Edinburgh base. If you don't mind travelling a bit further, you could think aboutb places like Dalgety Bay or Aberdour in Fife (both have good active boat clubs) or Dunbar in East Lothian. I think you can get to all those places on the train from Edinburgh
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 April 2008, 19:32   #4

Cheers for the quick replies. Is there much to do off the east coast? places to cruise, explore etc or do you think i should keep it on the west coast and use it less but possibly get more fun out of it? any help would be appreciated!
Old 07 April 2008, 19:44   #5

The Forth is a great place to be afloat but a fairly difficult place to come ashore! There are lots more places to go on the west coast, but if I were you I'd give the Forth a try first and be prepared to move if you get bored or frustrated.

If you find yourself heading towards the eastern end of the Forth, let me know and perhaps we can meet up.

There is a powerboat meeting at Elie in Fife on 1st June if you're around and you want to meet some locals
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 07 April 2008, 20:13   #6

Sounds gd, il see if i can get up for that. Thanks for your help!
Old 07 April 2008, 20:43   #7

Town: East Coast
Make: Chaudron 33
Length: 6m +
Engine: Black uns
MMSI: dunno wot this iz
powerboat meeting at Elie in Fife on 1st June
Whos orgainising this is it Angus a Elie wtersports?
I live 10 mins from Elie and didnt know anything about this.
More Info More Info please.

gaZ
Old 07 April 2008, 20:52   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
The east coast doesn't match the west for beauty but there are plenty of interesting places to visit for day trips. The nicer ones are on the Fife coast and it's probably a good reason for not having your boat based in Fife and travelling to it because you'll already be there! Sorry Sea Skills, no critisism intended.
As I said earlier, most of the harbours dry but nevertheless there are few within the Edinburgh area. Three hours either side of high tide is typical for access. Get a map...Travelling eastwards from Port Edgar (the marina) on the south side, there is a nice little harbour in South Queensferry, next is Crammond then Newhaven, Granton, miss out Leith docks then it's a good distance along to Mussleburgh, there's a small club and boat compound at Prestonpans with a slip but it launches directly into the sea with no protection, next is Cockenzie which is possible but probably not worth it then Port Seton which is useful with a protected slip. After that it a good distance along to North Berwick, best as a destination because there's a selection of eating places and reasonable shelter. Launching there is off the beach. A trip around the Bass Rock is always good and then further east still you leave the Forth and next stop is Dunbar.
On the north coast, starting again at the Forth bridges, there's North Queensferry, give it a glancing blow at most, Inverkeithing, worth travelling there to say you've done it, then Inchcolm (an island with a monastery) which is worth a visit though you may be charged, depending on season. Opposite is Aberdour which I visit often and I feel has some charm. Next is Burnt Island but it's pretty commercial, followed by Kinghorn, not much more than a jetty and a lifeboat, then Kirkaldy, do it once and on to Dysart which I also particularly like. There are some other small places further along then Methil docks and on to Lower Largo which is very tidal but worth a trip and there's eating at a place on the sea wall. Elie is next and a nice place to visit plus good eating; Sea Skills will be able to tell you more. Further along still there are various harbours some of them more fishing fleet places than pleasure and lastly there's Crail which is I also particularly like. If you want to leave the Forth area northward then St. Andrews is next and it too is a good place to visit. Like most of the other places, it dries. I'd better not forget the Isle of May which should definately be on your list and is accessible most of the time and it's an interesting entrance when there's an easterly swell, though you can land on the west side if you must. Off Edinburgh is Inchkeith with good landing and no one living there presently but lots of bird poo. Beware reefs, study the chart.
I think that's about it. Others will be along to fill in my blanks.

Regarding keeping your boat on the west coast, some folk do but you miss those times when the weather is crackin and you just need to get a fix of boating of a evening. But, the west has beautiful scenery and, once there, you have access to a vast area pretty much all of which is worth doing. There are pros and cons which you'll need to consider.
Old 08 April 2008, 13:45   #9

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Xeon,

Firstly welcome to Ribnet, secondly a future welcome to the colder end of the country!

I'm not a lot of use with boat side of things on the Forth as I have only ever been on that stretch of water in (on?) a Laser..... For what it's worth, here's some public transport titbits:

Edinburgh - Glasgow is 45 mins every 15 mins (1/2 hrly in the eve). 10 min walk (I assume you'd be carrying your waterproofs etc, otherwise call it 5) to Central from where:
Largs - Hourly, marina a good 20 min walk form the station. 10 by bike. Troon, Half hourly train service, about 3/4 mile walk to the marina.
Kip, hourly & takes 45 mins(Weymss bay Trains) maybe 10 min walk to the marina, but It's been a while since I have visited, so the security fence may now make that a longer walk!)
or Rhu - Half hourly trains to Helensburgh, take about 45 mins. Down side is you'd need a cab or a bike to get to the marina. Else you're looking at a good half hour walk.

Hope this is of use. Whatever you end up doing I'm sure you'll trip over some of us up here soon enough!
Old 08 April 2008, 23:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
powerboat meeting at Elie in Fife on 1st June
Whos orgainising this is it Angus a Elie wtersports?
I live 10 mins from Elie and didnt know anything about this.
More Info More Info please.

gaZ
Details on the Elie and Earlsferry sailing club site.
Tel; 07525 012 013
Old 20 April 2008, 01:28   #11

Elie & Earlsferry Sailing Club website is :

http://www.eesc.org.uk/powerboat_scotland_cruise.html

you find all the details there of the 1st June Event

S.
Old 20 April 2008, 05:00   #12