Any one bothering to go to the show next week
Old 17 November 2008, 16:22   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Yes, we are exhibiting.

I think it has found its feet a bit more this year, a bit of re branding and its targeting the smaller boats and watersports
Old 17 November 2008, 16:34   #3

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Absolutely, I like to think of it as hammering another nail into LIBS coffin.
Old 19 November 2008, 07:46   #4
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
Yes, we are exhibiting.

I think it has found its feet a bit more this year, a bit of re branding and its targeting the smaller boats and watersports

Sorry Doug Looking at the replys to this thread, do you think you might be wasting your time
Old 19 November 2008, 09:12   #5

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
I'm Going on the Thursday. Cougar have my Rib on display... (don't touch)..
Tony
Old 19 November 2008, 10:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED View Post
Sorry Doug Looking at the replies to this thread, do you think you might be wasting your time
Not sure what you mean the couple of replies to this thread seem quite positive. It may be that not many Ribnet members visit, there was only a few came by the stand last year to say hello. Then again only 2 actually came and said hello at Southampton this year. The majority (but not all) of Ribnet members are not looking for further training, a lot of them are pretty clued up already. Obviously we will welcome Ribnetters with open arms onto the stand but there are a lot of people new to boating who have not been lucky enough to find this site. These are the people that want to talk to us.

Obviously economic climate being what it is we are not expecting masses of sales. The show itself is still fairly new and working hard to establish itself. 18 months ago everyone said it would not happen and they would never pull it of, and they did. After the first show everyone said it would not manage a second year. Well we are a week away and it’s all set to go ahead.

Although we did not take as many credit card sales last year as I had hoped, the overall result was worth it for us. Late November is a pretty quiet time of year; we only need one freelancer and one full timer running courses at the centre while the rest of the team are in London. A 5 day show is quite manageable and it’s a good time of year for Christmas Shopping.

I believe quite strongly that we have to put ourselves in front of potential customers and show them our product some how. Some companies rely on magazine advertising, some on pay per click campaigns and some on boat shows. The nice thing about a show is potential customers can actually talk to us face to face, in some cases they can meet the person who will later teach them and they can compare us with other centres at the show very easily. Although we have not been doing shows for that long I have found they work quite well for us. We have a wide enough range of products (power, sail, big boat, little boat, UK, overseas, charter, training, holiday) that we can offer something to most visitors.

I will be the first to admit that the down turn in spending has got us all worried but there are still people looking for training and their will continue to be.

What it really comes down to though is even if the show is quiet, what else would we all be doing on the last week of November anyway?
Old 19 November 2008, 11:18   #7

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Quote:
I believe quite strongly that we have to put ourselves in front of potential customers and show them our product some how. Some companies rely on magazine advertising, some on pay per click campaigns and some on boat shows. The nice thing about a show is potential customers can actually talk to us face to face, in some cases they can meet the person who will later teach them and they can compare us with other centres at the show very easily. Although we have not been doing shows for that long I have found they work quite well for us. We have a wide enough range of products (power, sail, big boat, little boat, UK, overseas, charter, training, holiday) that we can offer something to most visitors...................
Couldn't agree more Doug. I did 10 Earls Court boat shows - in the days when it was THE boat show - as well as others, selling our sailing holidays and courses. It's much easier for a newcomer to sailing/boating to make a decision on booking a holiday/course if they've met their skipper and talked about what goes on. After all, for those used to 'normal' foreign holidays, it takes some courage to book precious holiday time on a small boat in the UK and live in it for a week with a bunch of strangers.

We never took that many bookings actually at the shows, and some would say therefore that they were a dead loss, but like you, I'm a great believer in personal contact. We always asked our guests where, how and why. 15-20% had spoken/seen us/picked up a brochure at the boat show - sometimes several years earlier. By the time I decided to 'retire' (Instructor burnout), we had bookings 18 months in advance, so we became very busy and it took 2 years to stop. I've no doubt that boat shows played a big part in our success. Good luck this year.
Old 19 November 2008, 12:31   #8

Town: Reading
Boat name: N/A
Make: Cobra
Engine: Verado 200
I went last year and although I was disappointed that it was not "like it used to be" I still think it was worth the visit and I will go again this year. I have never been to LIBS, it doesn't seem all that popular and it's not the best of journeys for me so I am hoping that people will continue to support the Earls Court Show and make it a viable alternative.
Old 19 November 2008, 16:59   #9
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
Quote:
It may be that not many Ribnet members visit, there was only a few came by the stand last year to say hello. Then again only 2 actually came and said hello at Southampton this year.
I went last year (Thanks Doug) and did pop by but the Top man himself was always chatting to customers/people but did speak to his collegues on the stand.

I would pop by stands if they weren't busy and free to chat but I think even at Southampton Stormforce had people all the time. (I think thats cos I go on Saturdays)

To Add, I believe that if you are one of the few companies that are at a show, then people will get to see you and are able to chat to you. If you are not there then the only way people can get to see you is when they have booked on a course they have found via the net. So Yes i believe if you want customers (from a RYA courses person) get yourself into the shows to inform people who you are and what you do.

(my 2p over!!)
Old 19 November 2008, 20:45   #10
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
Quote:
Not sure what you mean the couple of replies to this thread seem quite positive. It may be that not many Ribnet members visit, there was only a few came by the stand last year to say hello. Then again only 2 actually came and said hello at Southampton this year. The majority (but not all) of Ribnet members are not looking for further training, a lot of them are pretty clued up already. Obviously we will welcome Ribnetters with open arms onto the stand but there are a lot of people new to boating who have not been lucky enough to find this site. These are the people that want to talk to us.

Obviously economic climate being what it is we are not expecting masses of sales. The show itself is still fairly new and working hard to establish itself. 18 months ago everyone said it would not happen and they would never pull it of, and they did. After the first show everyone said it would not manage a second year. Well we are a week away and it’s all set to go ahead.

Although we did not take as many credit card sales last year as I had hoped, the overall result was worth it for us. Late November is a pretty quiet time of year; we only need one freelancer and one full timer running courses at the centre while the rest of the team are in London. A 5 day show is quite manageable and it’s a good time of year for Christmas Shopping.

I believe quite strongly that we have to put ourselves in front of potential customers and show them our product some how. Some companies rely on magazine advertising, some on pay per click campaigns and some on boat shows. The nice thing about a show is potential customers can actually talk to us face to face, in some cases they can meet the person who will later teach them and they can compare us with other centres at the show very easily. Although we have not been doing shows for that long I have found they work quite well for us. We have a wide enough range of products (power, sail, big boat, little boat, UK, overseas, charter, training, holiday) that we can offer something to most visitors.

I will be the first to admit that the down turn in spending has got us all worried but there are still people looking for training and their will continue to be.

What it really comes down to though is even if the show is quiet, what else would we all be doing on the last week of November anyway?

Sorry Doug didnt mean it like that ,with just only a couple of replys in a few days got me wondering- whether to bother going...I know there is a down turn in the spending but some people still have some money to spend and in my case having just sold my boat, the new one out of the mould, I need to get stuff for it.
I Hope you do well at the show and maybe you can post some picy's
Old 20 November 2008, 10:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED View Post
Sorry Doug didn’t mean it like that.....maybe you can post some picy's
No need to apologise, no offence taken. I am unlikely to be up there personally due to a back injury, but the rest of the team will grab some photos.

There are a couple of features occurring at the show that I will post about later today
Old 20 November 2008, 18:12   #12
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
As I can't post on the other thread, The Rigging challenge that Doug talks about saounds really interesting, I'm a sailor and a big kid but these soughts of things make the shows really exciting.
Old 20 November 2008, 20:11   #13

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Doug.....

What do you call a man that used to like Tractors
An Extractor Fan

Can I have a couple more free tickets this year please

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2008, 22:24   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Doug.....

What do you call a man that used to like Tractors
An Extractor Fan

Can I have a couple more free tickets this year please
Chris, Sorry mate, We have not been given any alloctaion this year.

Last year we (and I think all exhibitors) were given some free tickets. We offered them first to our staff, freelance instructors, regular suppliers and current customers and then to the Ribnet Crew.

This year all we have had is our exhibitor passes which we obviously need for the show staff, if any tickets appear in the next few days then I will dish them out to the deserving.

P.S. Any one who spent the last 12 months putting up with my ranting and reading my posts (Ribnetters) would definaly deserve a ticket
Old 20 November 2008, 22:39   #15
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Chris, Sorry mate, We have not been given any alloctaion this year.

Last year we (and I think all exhibitors) were given some free tickets. We offered them first to our staff, freelance instructors, regular suppliers and current customers and then to the Ribnet Crew.

This year all we have had is our exhibitor passes which we obviously need for the show staff, if any tickets appear in the next few days then I will dish them out to the deserving.

P.S. Any one who spent the last 12 months putting up with my ranting and reading my posts (Ribnetters) would definaly deserve a ticket
How about ones who noticed the Stormforce logo on the dinghy used to train Charley Boorman?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2008, 07:18   #16

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
change the subject slightly, My Mrs did the Pb2 last weekend and loved it and i did the Sea Survival , loved it chap, great fun and i cant recommend it enough,
Ps she knows nothing,well not much about handling of ribs and commented about the slapiness of the Leeway!!
Old 21 November 2008, 10:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
change the subject slightly, My Mrs did the Pb2 last weekend and loved it and i did the Sea Survival , loved it chap, great fun and i cant recommend it enough,
Thanks Matt, always nice to get good feedback, I will pas it on to the lads who taught the 2 courses.

I've heard our leeway called a few things before but not a slapper
Old 23 November 2008, 14:59   #18

Earls Court Preview

Well build up really
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ec bUILD uP.jpg