Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I can't be bought I am afraid. I suspect most people would treat anyone offering them way over the odds for a boat with suspicion, especially if said buyer had just before been selling the same boat without permission.
Of course, but surely if he admitted it to you, and offered you 75k then you're still 75k up which to many people would be plenty enough to buy them IMHO. The money is coming from someone silly enough to bid it in confidence, though you would be helping the scammer which obviously raises moral questions

Quote:
While using eBay sites, services, applications and tools, you will not:
  • breach any laws, third party rights or our policies;
What law has he broken (not sarcastic, genuine question)
Quote:
  • use our sites, services, applications or tools if you are not able to form legally binding contracts (for example if you are under 18), or are
He is still technically able to do that surely? He can still go and buy the boat for the 75 as already suggested. Though I used to break that all the time
Quote:
  • fail to deliver items purchased from you, unless the buyer fails to meet the posted terms, or you cannot contact the buyer;
He can still do that, despite not owning the item at the time it was listed
Quote:
  • post false, inaccurate, misleading, defamatory, or libellous content;
As long as the text is accurate to the boat pictured and potentially being delivered then surely this is also not broken?
Quote:
  • copy, modify, or distribute rights or content from our sites, services, applications or tools or eBay's copyrights and trademarks;
Yes I'll give you that one. Though surely some people will use the same text and pictures when the come to sell something as when they bought it. He could easily have taken some of his own pictures and changed the text a little though it is mostly factual. Not sure how intelligent Mr. Scammer is though so I suspect this is pie in the sky...
Quote:
  • sell any counterfeit items or otherwise infringe the copyright, trademark or other rights of third parties.
What copyright, trademark or rights is he infringing (again, genuine question not sarcastic)
Quote:
Not sure why you think dealers don't own the cars they sell?
Don't dealers act as brokers? Ie you can contract someone to sell something for you, meaning that ebay can't have a blanket rule that you can't list something you don't own. (Though perhaps they could say "or has a contract to sell")
Quote:
25% off just like that!
I hadn't looked at the boat in detail I just know what a new one would cost and it was my first thought. If it was a 2010 boat or later then I think that would be reasonable (the original price)

What an awful lot of unnecessary quoting..
Old 17 June 2013, 22:48   #62

Town: Llanfair pg
Boat name: just about to change
Make: Aircraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: Outboard
MMSI: 13
Guys- don't wind yerselves up over this
As we all know, sometimes there are genuine bargains on E Bay
Sometimes not
It's the nature of the animal
As normal rib knobbers we know what the boat was really worth- ish
I only pointed the Add out in case someone on ere got sucked in and parted with a few sobs and got caught out
Plus to wind up the Scammer
Old 17 June 2013, 22:56   #63
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Of course, but surely if he admitted it to you, and offered you 75k then you're still 75k up which to many people would be plenty enough to buy them IMHO. The money is coming from someone silly enough to bid it in confidence, though you would be helping the scammer which obviously raises moral questions
and you would trust someone who offered you a lot of money for your boat? that's good because it just so happens my cousin in Nigeria has just died and we need to get the money out the country before the government claim tax...

Quote:
What law has he broken (not sarcastic, genuine question)
possibly various - but this will do for starters: Fraud Act 2006

you don't need to complete the "sale" to be guilty.
Quote:
He is still technically able to do that surely? He can still go and buy the boat for the 75 as already suggested. Though I used to break that all the time
no if you want to sell something you don't actually have you are not in a position to make a binding contract. You could sell things you don't have if you have a contract with the actual owner that entitles you to - so you can make the commitment but otherwise no.

Quote:
As long as the text is accurate to the boat pictured and potentially being delivered then surely this is also not broken?
absolutely, not misleading at all!
Quote:
What copyright, trademark or rights is he infringing (again, genuine question not sarcastic)
well I realise they don't teach this to you young people in the internet era - but those pictures (and potentially the text) are copyright of the original photographer. Using them without consent is infringing his rights.
Quote:
Don't dealers act as brokers?
Car dealers don't usually. If I was bidding on something in any auction where the vendor was an agent for the owner I would expect it to explicitly say so - and probably provide details to ID the owner. There are official agents on ebay - they expect to have the goods in their possession before posting ads.
Old 17 June 2013, 22:58   #64
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki View Post
Guys- don't wind yerselves up over this
As we all know, sometimes there are genuine bargains on E Bay
Sometimes not
It's the nature of the animal
As normal rib knobbers we know what the boat was really worth- ish
I only pointed the Add out in case someone on ere got sucked in and parted with a few sobs and got caught out
Plus to wind up the Scammer
K, Gotchi's just trying to work out how he can set up selling his dad's boat for a ridiculous sum and get away with it. I think he's aspiring to upgrade to a redbay from his earlier post!

« New video!! | Top | Ringo »